Daily Calorie burn per min- slightly analytical lol

Options
Hey everyone, I have a bodybugg and it shows calorie burn different than regular hrms, it actually shows me calories per minute burn, which got me to thinking about true workout caloric burn, and how I can log it, cause the BB tracks "activity" not necessarily work out periods , so i'm active 5 minutes going into work, and then 10 minutes her or there, and that adds up through out the day, so to figure out what I actually could log to mpf at the end of the day I would figure how many calories i burned per minute from living subtract that from total calories burned and I would get the "activity" calories. so here is an example

Basic components

60 minutes in an hour 24 hours in a day. (60*24=1440 minutes in a day)

I go under Goals in MPF and it says in a day i burn 1780 calories just living.

so i take 1780/1440 to get 1.236 (i'll round up to 1.3) So according to mpf I burn 1.3 calories per minute living
which btw is pretty accurate according to my body bugg

So now, lets say I work out for 60 minutes, and burn 300 calories (just an example) I take 1.3 *60 = 78 then 300-78 equals 222, which would then be my actual work out burn.

Like i said for the analytical types I am obviously very analytical. :D

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media ... and there isa flaw with your calculations.
    You said if you work out for 60 minutes take 1.3 x 60 = 300 right?
    Well when I am working out my Body Media says that I can burn up to 12-16 calories per 10 minutes depending on physically active I am ...

Here is what I do ... I know what my average calorie burn should be (I told it I am lightly active so therefore I need 8000 steps, 15 minutes of vigorous activity, and 30 minutes of moderate activity.

If I do this ... on a day when I dont work out I burn about 2550 ...
    I plus my Body Media in after I work out ... say a run ... and it says 3100 I KNOW I am already 600 calories ahead of where I would be if I didnt work out ... (technically about 800 because I will burn for the next 4 hours too even if sitting down) but I like to give myself a cushion.

It has worked well for me... just a thought!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    no that was an example i can burn more

based on mpf i burn 1.3 calores per minute LIVING

the example of 300 calories in 60 minutes was just an example of the math.

same theory applies for 500 calories in 60 minutes

still take 1.3*60= 78 and subtract from 500 which leaves you with the actual work out burn

i burn anywhere from 2-15 calories per minute when exercising
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Okay, I know I'm missing the whole point of your posts (though I see how your math works there), but can you both give me an honest assessment of these products? I have a regular pedometer, but I was thinking about getting a heart rate watch, or a fit bit. The Body Media is something I never heard of, so I'd like to know anything you would be willing to tell me about it.

Sorry to detract from what you were talking about, but I'd really like to get something that can give me an accurate count of calories burned (as well as any other information it can give me) so that I'm not over or underestimating my burnage (and I will definitely remember this post if I end up purchasing one of these products :) )

Thanks!
    Spayrroe
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    HRM's and BB's are the only thing i can speak to, they give great insight to what you are actually burning rather than guesstimating gives you another way to challenge yourself. BB's are expensive HRMS are about half the price if you get a good one.

DO NOT get one with out a chest band they are really inaccurate. polar is a good brand.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! The gym I joined recently gives you a free session with a personal trainer, so you can learn how to use everything and what you should be doing. I just had mine, but I've belonged to the gym (and have been going) for a little over a month now. I was kind of disappointed when he told me about how off each of the machines was on it's estimate of how many calories you burn. So I thought, since I'm quite serious about this, perhaps it's time to make a major purchase to help with all of this.

Anyway,
    Thanks again!!
    -Spayrroe
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    The math you are doing is the same math I have been doing for my HRM when I work out. I log in the results from that in my MFP.