Exercising back fat

Options
Does any1 have any tips for getting rid of back fat! I got to the gym at least twice a week, and the days I'm not working out do do classes, either body combat, or body pump, plus zumba, so I'm working out at least 4 sometimes 5 days a week! I've recently started I.e 2 weeks ago so haven't noticed any difference yet! But whilst I'm doing regular workouts I wondered what would be the best for back fat! This is 1 on my most problem areas and evn at my lowest weight last year (196lbs) it was still a problem! Also can anyone tell me what exactly the cross trainer is good for? Thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    bump
  • AlienBaby
    AlienBaby Posts: 22
    Options
    bump for later... I would also like to know :)
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but my guess would be doing exercises that strengthen the back muscles so that it improves their overall ability to metabolize food and burn fat - so I would do some shoulder presses, shoulder flys, and if there is a rowing machine, about 10 extra minutes on that - for the lower back, abdominals that involve twisting - situps that twist right elbow to left knee etc. -

and like I said, no expert here, but I have lower back problems (spine curvature) and I know that I feel much better and back looks much better when I keep my back muscles strong - like when I was on active duty -
  • Geckogurl
    Geckogurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I took back pictures and its amazing the fat rolls that were gone after 8 weeks of doing the shred!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I got the ab glider and seemed to remove all my back fat!Made my upper body very toned:)
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    OK, here's the skinny on the fat (yes i think thats funny ) :sad:

There is no way to focus on an area in regards to fat...... fat is a storage of excess energy for later use. So once fat tissue is formed and distributed on the body, its only cardio and food management that's going to start eliminating the deposits. With that said, especially with women, its a crap shoot which fat stores are going to be used up first. Most lose breasts first and the junk in the trunk last. I don't know where back fat is on the typical scale of loss

Good luck
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I hate the rower and try to only go on it for as little time as poss, but nw I kno it helps the bag fat ill stick it out for longer! I hear a lot of ppl talking about this 30 day shred, I'm already signed up to a gym so I think gym equipment and classes should be enough! Is the cross trainer good for your hips?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but some advice here was a bit questionable. You can shoulder press until you're green in the face it will do little about your back fat.

A shoulder press is an isolation exercise that works, guess what, your shoulders... a pair of the smallest muscles... So you'll neither burn many calories, nor are you working more than one muscle, nor are you working a particularly large muscle that will help increasing metabolic rate as it builds.

You say your lightest weight was still short of 200lb. That is still an enormous amount of body fat and that why the back fat is there, "even then".

You do well to integrate strength training, and if for the moment you want to stick with Body Pump rather than harder weights that's fine, but the cardio probably needs to be ramped up if you want to make some serious inroads with your body fat. I would suggest to move away from steady state cardio... (same pace on cross trainer for whatever length of time etc), and start doing 45 min interval based cardio sessions, for instance spinning classes, interval rowing, interval running etc.

On top of that, in my experience of larger people training, 70% for them is about diet, and 30% is about training. You can never out-perform a diet that is sub-optimal.
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    I totally understand what u mean about shoulder press, as I'm not too sure how that would help! I don't only do body pump, I'm at the gym 4 - 5x a week, but I mix it up with lots of cardio and strength training! When I said about my lowest weight being 196 that was after loosing about 30lbs, and even then the weight from that my back wouldn't shift, but I had a noticable difference everywhere else! I dnt do interval training at the moment tho! What exactly is it tho? Thanks for the advice btw! :-)
  • Ourdestinee2009
    Options
    Interval Training " is simply alternating bursts of intense activity with intervals of lighter activity."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interval-training/SM00110

I have been doing it for a couple of months now and I've noticed more results than when I was just exercising at a constant pace.

2773349.png
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    Ohhh I see thank you! How comes that is more effective than the general constant activity?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It kind of works because you never allow your body to adapt to the exercise.

With steady state cardio, there is a process called adaptation, where after a number of weeks of doing the same steady heart rate elliptical workout or whatever will burn fewer fewer and fewer calories for the same period of time that your execising. It's kind of all part of getting fit, but it means that your body just becomes more efficient at doing the same thing. It's clever and gets used to it!!

Interval training helps with that.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    To remove back fat... Have plastic surgery!

You know you can't spot reduce. Just keep pushing play and eventually.... it may take years months and days.... It will disappear.

I just stopped looking at mine. It brings tears to my eyes....
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    Please to say i did some interval training last night at the gym