Need Recipe for Crockpot Steel Cut Oaks

Options
Does anyone have a yummy recipe they could share for overnight oatmeal? Thanks in advance! hmmm, I mean oats. Another question, how do I delete a post when I've messed up a spelling. lol

Replies

• Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I put the recommended measure of oats and water in the crock pot and add (for our two servings) about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, a tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of Craisins. Set on low before you go to bed. Stir in the morning and enjoy!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *L* i was going to ask what the fibre content of the oaks was like *grins*
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've been DYING to try this, looks so great. never used the oats before though!

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2011/02/16/slow-cooker-lemon-blueberry-muffin-oatmeal/
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    add 1c. oats and water according to package directions. Add 1/4 c. slivered almonds, 1/4 c. raisings, 1 tbls. flax seeds, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Cook overnight, sweeten to your prefered taste with splenda or honey and drizzle with fat free milk.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I did a recipe a couple years ago for my MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) group, and they RAVED. It had apple juice and cinnamon, so it smelled AMAZING - like hot apple cider - while it cooked. This recipe is similar: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1674/Apple-Cinnamon-Steel-Cut-Oatme141615.shtml. I do remember taking chopped pecans and craisins for people to sprinkle on top before they ate.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I do mine simple:

1 cup of steel cut oats
    4.5 cups of water
    a dash of salt

I make a lot, and then put them in individual containers in the fridge and heat one up each morning. Depending on how I feel in the morning, I'll add anything from raisins, almonds, apples, strawberries, etc... the other day I added mangos and it was delicious!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! I recently fell in love with steel cut oats but they take too long to cook in the morning when I'm rushed. The crock pot is the perfection solution - can't wait to try it!! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I did a recipe a couple years ago for my MOPS (Mothers Of Preschoolers) group, and they RAVED. It had apple juice and cinnamon, so it smelled AMAZING - like hot apple cider - while it cooked. This recipe is similar: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1674/Apple-Cinnamon-Steel-Cut-Oatme141615.shtml. I do remember taking chopped pecans and craisins for people to sprinkle on top before they ate.

Ooh that sounds good!

I spray my crockpot with Pam, then put in 1 cups oats, 4 cups water, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. In the morning I mix in about 1/2 cup vanilla flavored almond (or soy) milk, a couple tablespoons agave syrup, and1/2 cup dried cranberries and let cook for another hour. When I put the dried fruit in at night I think it loses its flavor and color.

My fave way to eat it is topped with some all natural almond butter. Yum!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm new to Steel cut oats and wow...this is soooo much easier than fussing over them in the morning!:bigsmile:
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

I spray my crockpot with Pam, then put in 1 cups oats, 4 cups water, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. In the morning I mix in about 1/2 cup vanilla flavored almond (or soy) milk, a couple tablespoons agave syrup, and1/2 cup dried cranberries and let cook for another hour. When I put the dried fruit in at night I think it loses its flavor and color.

My fave way to eat it is topped with some all natural almond butter. Yum!

Ooh! I think I'll start adding vanilla and cinnamon to mine. I might just start some tonight. Yum!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Calorie free flavor boosters rock IMO! :) Also, cinnamon is supposed to be really good for you so I try to add it to stuff where I can.