Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off Topic

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
Next month is my anniversary. I have been trying to figure out what to get my husband. He has mentioned that he wants a video game system to hook up to our tv in the bedroom. I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question but please be kind. I am not into video games so I don't know, this is why I am asking. Would a playstation 2 be a nice gift and something he can hook up to the tv? I have read the reviews and spechs and they talk about hooking it up to the computer but can it be hooked up to the tv? I can't afford to get him a ps3 or wii. He is not home enough and will not use it enough for that. Any opinions? Please be honest but gentle!

Memaw

Replies

• memaw66
    Options
    Next month is my anniversary. I have been trying to figure out what to get my husband. He has mentioned that he wants a video game system to hook up to our tv in the bedroom. I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question but please be kind. I am not into video games so I don't know, this is why I am asking. Would a playstation 2 be a nice gift and something he can hook up to the tv? I have read the reviews and spechs and they talk about hooking it up to the computer but can it be hooked up to the tv? I can't afford to get him a ps3 or wii. He is not home enough and will not use it enough for that. Any opinions? Please be honest but gentle!

Memaw
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    i'm no video game techie, but my son had a play station 2 and it plugged into the tv.
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    A PS2 will hook to your tv. just make sure you have the correct hookup . You may heed to buy a converter or a AV jacks "piece" I dont know the technical terms. But I do know it will hook up to a tv we have had one for years. You can watch movies on them too so its a bonus in your room!! Good luck, Im sure he will love it! They are fairly reasonably priced as well:)
  • memaw66
    Options
    Is this an outdated system???
    I don't want him to be disappointed.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Not outdated yet. :wink: My husband still plays his all the time until we can save up for his PS3 (he's dreaming! haha). Tons of games. We bought the Indiana Jones Lego game for PS2 and play it together. I LOVE IT! The PS2 also serves as a dvd and cd player, fyi. TONS of games for the PS2. With not enough money for the newer hugely expensive systems, I'd say the PS2 is an awesome gift.:bigsmile:
  • GodlessCommunism
    Options
    PS 2 or an old Xbox is fine. It hooks right into the TV. You can probably hook it in in 2 minutes, no sweat. There are alot of games for both systems and you can get the systems and the games cheap. The new systems are great, but you can have a whale of a time on one of those systems and ot know what you are missing. Also...don't get a rebuilt system, those are a waste.
  • memaw66
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for the input. I think that is what I will get him.
    We have already reserved a room in Port Aransas. I think I will buy it and see if I can have it FEDEX'ed there so it can be there for him as a surprise. I can never seem to surprise him. On second thought, maybe that isn't such a good idea......I wouldn't want him to be playing video game the entire time we are there for our anniversary!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Memaw
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Hi, latest consoles are in no particular order are:

Sony PlayStation 3

Microsoft Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

There are others but these are the main ones...

They will all hook up to the tv via a scart socket and hd connections...
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    He's going to love it!! Be careful with the fed ex-ing though:)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    We have already reserved a room in Port Aransas. I think I will buy it and see if I can have it FEDEX'ed there so it can be there for him as a surprise. I can never seem to surprise him.

Some hotel rooms block use of the tv connections so you cannot plug in vcrs, dvd players, or game consoles. (This forces you to buy use of their pay-per-views and pay-per-play games.) Just a heads up.
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Try www.freecycle.org
    You can ask for things that you need, or get rid of things you don't want (so they don't go into landfills)
    I actually got a PS2 on it for my kids. Then all you need to get him are some games.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    haha! My husband asked me tonight what I was doing tomorrow after work and i said nothing i think, just going to the gym and feeding the horse like usual why? he said - because we're going out to eat. i was like Ooookaaayy... why? then he told me that his grandma had called him to remind him that it is our anniversary (3) tomorrow! gosh - neither of us would have remembered!

(Granted my only son's 1st bday is coming up in 2 weeks, we're moving this weekend, family is coming down to visit in 2 weeks, and someone shot my dog yesterday, so i have a lot on my mind, but we are TOTALLY unromantic aren't we?) Needless to say we are bypassing gifts...
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Memaw

Playstation 3 is out its a little pricy since it is just coming out 600.00-- or you could get XBOX 360 my husband and all of our guy friends love it and they can play online with other people too, also the Wii is out if you can find it-- Playstation 2 is cool too

P.s I wouldn't recommend putting it in the bedroom if you still want to have an active sex life not tryin to be rude or nasty either but its the truth I would limit it too the living room or a spare room in the house-- and all video consoles connect up to the tv

Since you can't afford the Wii or the PS3 then def go for the XBOX 360- but then again PS2 is still cool but I am noticing alot more of the guys playin the XBOX 360- my husband has both the PS2 and the XBOX 360 and plays the 360 more though it has Halo lol which is another game that guys get addicted too
  • TracyFace
    TracyFace Posts: 65
    Options
    PS 2 or an old Xbox is fine. It hooks right into the TV. You can probably hook it in in 2 minutes, no sweat. There are alot of games for both systems and you can get the systems and the games cheap. The new systems are great, but you can have a whale of a time on one of those systems and ot know what you are missing. Also...don't get a rebuilt system, those are a waste.

I just wanted to add to this.... The original XBox, you cannot get extras for, no controllers etc. We went to Besy Buy and they are no longer carrying XBox accessories, and the games are really limited. However, if you buy a PS2, get the one with Singstar, if they still have it bundled. That is an AWESOME game!! Its like karoake. PS2 still has tons of games available, and Sony still put out new games for it.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    x boxes break (over heat all the time!!!!) and they always do that AFTER the warrenty. My friend already went through 3 of them in less then a year. go for play station 2 , you can play playstation 1 and 2 games on it. On playstation 3, you can play play station 1 , 2 , 3 and blue ray videos on it. They also cost a bit more..

then there is the WII, hard to find so you might get that for xmas or a bday.

ps 2 has great Dance Dance Revolution games so you can become the game fanatic after all. :laugh:
  • smillermom
    smillermom Posts: 38
    Options
    If you want to have fun and a good laugh or 2, try the Wii. We love ours and I just got the wii exercise component and love it. We do have a blast with the boxing and it is way too much fun! The Wii is priced right also which is great. the only drawback is it does not act like a dvd player which our Playstation did.