How long does the excess water weight stay after having a hi

Options
Sunday I weighed in at 197 (wtg me & WELCOME TO ONEderland!) buuut then hubby and I went to Red Lobster Monday to celebrate our anniversary (i love u baby xoxo). The sodium was thru the roof. Tuesday morning I gained 4lbs (water weight from the sodium I'm sure). But now it is Saturday and those 4lbs are still here. How long does the excess water weight stay after having a high sodium day?

Replies

• 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    drink your water.....I drink a gallon + a day :)
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Are you sure you're weighing in the same time of day? Usually first thing in the morning naked. :) That's the most accurate way to judge your weight! If it was just sodium it should be gone by now (unless you're not drinking your water?) Good luck!
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    Took a peek at your diary. You are coming really close or over on your sodium intake on most days. Additionally, your water intake isn't really where it should be every day. Also, is it close to that TOM? Could be that your body has decided to hold the sodium because of increased fluid retention. Just some thoughts. Not sure what your weight loss goals are, but your allotted calorie intake seems to be high. It's much higher than mine. You might want to adjust. What is your exercise routine like?
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    More likely than the sodium, the weight is in your muscles. You're doing 30 Day Shred, so I'm guessing you're at least a little bit sore. When you've worked your muscles, they swell a little and retain water as a protection mechanism. It'll drop off in a few days though...don't worry about it. You're definitely on the right track.
  • 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get my gallon of water in easy..............1st I bought a container that holds 2 quarts. I finish that before lunch time.........then I drink the other 2 quarts in the afternoon.........so by the time I get to the gym, any water I have there or when I get home, is extra :) it was hard at first, but now my body takes it easily. Try it :)
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance is 1200 daily. I've been excericising daily with 30 Day Shred and Leslie Sanson so that gives me an extra 500 or so calories. Since January I've been losing about 1.7 pounds a week. I try to drink 8 glasses of water a day but from the responses thus, far I'm thinking that's not enough. Oh, and TOM is due next week but SERIOUSLY bloating before hand geesh =/
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Took a peek at your diary. You are coming really close or over on your sodium intake on most days. Additionally, your water intake isn't really where it should be every day. Also, is it close to that TOM? Could be that your body has decided to hold the sodium because of increased fluid retention. Just some thoughts. Not sure what your weight loss goals are, but your allotted calorie intake seems to be high. It's much higher than mine. You might want to adjust. What is your exercise routine like?

how do you know what ones sodium intake is??
    Not sure where i'm supposed to look so i know what is to much.
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi mazomama! If you would like your sodium displayed go to your settings, diary setings, then under nutrients tracted select sodium
  • wintervixen78
    wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help, but after some reading up, here's what I found out. The kidneys deal with electrolyte balance. If there's a high intak of sodium, your body naturally creates thirst to help flush out the excess and create electrolyte balance. If however, the body becomes dehydrated, the body retains water. The only way to reverse water retention due to dehydration, is, ironically, to drink more water (8-10 cups). In order to find the answer to your question, you need to know either, how long kidney function takes, or how long it takes for the body to expel water you drink in to uria (urine). Which I started to look at, but I haven't experienced such heavy calculations and chemisty since college!!

Here's an article you may find useful also:
    http://www.wisegeek.com/m/how-can-i-stop-water-retention.htm
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Found the "goal" nutrition on the phone app :-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    With TOM on the way, it may be around for a couple days after its done. Drink lots of water and green tea, it will come out eventually... :ohwell:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. It depends on how much you drink and how much potassium you eat (potassium counteracts sodium) that day. I aim for 20 8-oz glasses of water per day...if I go over on sodium, I can typically increase my water intake the next day and have the extra sodium weight gone in about 2 days.