Time to get out of the rut!

Options
Hey everyone...I've been lurking around the board for 2 weeks now and figure it's time to join the conversation. I have been fat for as long as I can remember and I am determined to make a change. Life is too short to be fat, there is too much to do that I have missed out on and I'm ready for success. I discovered mfp 2 weeks ago and I've already lost 10lbs. I have a long way to go and my first mini goal is 25lbs by Easter. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories it is an encouragement to me. I'd love some accountability so feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you decide to do. Keep your attitude positive - that's the first and most important step along the way. Negative feelings lead to emotional eating, missed or poor workouts and/or falling off the wagon completely. Tell your friends and family what you're doing. They'll hold you accountable either with support or lack of support - but either way will work.

When I was trying to lose weight secretly on my own, the reason why it was secret, is because I always knew I was going to fail. When I finally came out and told people what I was doing, it took away options for me. I couldn't sit there and eat doughnuts while they did, because I publicly claimed I was done with that! Every time you talk about it to a friend/coworker/family member, you will get your game face on. You will decide that today is not going to be the day that you fail.

In the end - we all have to go through this alone :) No one will put a fork to your lips, and no one will push it away!

I'm here if you need any support.

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    I agree! I make sure that my friends, partner and parents all know I am dieting! That way I not only have to prove it to myself, but them as well!

I even have a safety net in my partner! I told him if I even TRY to eat something naughty he is to take it off me. And he does! Its great.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks Sarah and Steve!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    Welcome. Clearly you are of to an awesome start. Often the first and then the final steps are the hardest. I somehow managed to pack on lots of extra weight myself, some 60 unneeded pounds and like you I am beginning (once more) to work on improving my fitness ( tend to focus on that, rather than simply dieting (maybe mostly b/c I eat pretty healthily, simply way tooo much and yes cheesecake and sandwiches do not help either). I liked your "accountability" comment and yes, that is often a big missing piece. Focus on the reality that staying/becoming fit and a healthy weight is not a sprint but a life long marathon, albeit a very fun one. You can do it. IF you keep an eye out for me I shall keep an eye out for you:)
  • vnmw121212
    vnmw121212 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! Glad you're here!! Add me if you need a friend!!