Is there a substitute for Olive Oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• mustnothrowcantelopes
    mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this has been stated on here already but: Grape seed oil, Almond oil and coconut oil are 'healthier' alternatives. However, they all seem to have the same amount of calories per tablespoon.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    It's the quantity here.... 2tbps?? Yikes, my salad would be drowning in oil with that amount! I can dress a salad for 4 people with 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp wholegrain mustard.... just toss it through better
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I really don't worry about EVOO, because it's so good for you. But if you're having trouble monitoring quantities, you can buy a mister from any decent kitchen store or Bed Bath & Beyond to help you cut down.

For cooking, as others have mentioned, broths are great (just watch the sodium).

With salads, I put them in a conatiner with a good lid along with a small quantity of dressing and then shake it for about 30 seconds. Distributes the small amount of dressing over the entire salad, which makes it very easy to use small amounts of dressing.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    a few ideas:

buy one of the refillable type spray containers that are made specifically for misting olive oil (specialty kitchen shops should have them --- or google it. I don't remember the brand name for ours). You pump air in, which give it its "aerosol" power instead of relying on (chemical) propellant. Then mist things with olive oil to get the flavor well dispersed without having to use a large quantity of oil

consider switching over to cast iron cookware. Once the pan is well-seasoned, you won't need to add much, if any, oil to the pan to prevent sticking or to give flavor. The pan will do all the seasoning for you. (minimal fat transfer from pan to food). Cast iron adds iron to your diet (a good thing!) is very durable and you can toss those toxic teflon pans in the garbage and never look back! :)

consider using a baking stone, which is similar to the cast iron in that it develops a seasoning and allows you to bake without "greasing the pan" and things don't stick.

I've been using just a touch of extra virgin coconut oil lately and its been wonderful! (Nutiva brand). You might consider trying it :)

But mostly i agree about just using less of a good thing (evoo).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    2 Tablespoons! In one salad!!! Olive oil is good, but there is no way you need that much oil in one salad assuming it is not some huge salad for many people. I would suggest 1 teaspoon. I often will use 1 teaspoon with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for a dressing. Substituting other healthy oils will not reduce the calories, it will give a different taste, but it is all still oil. We live in a time where people don't consider how far a very little bit of oil stretches in flavoring something. Cut back the quantity and then you don't have the issue with huge numbers of calories.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    buy one of the refillable type spray containers that are made specifically for misting olive oil (specialty kitchen shops should have them --- or google it. I don't remember the brand name for ours). You pump air in, which give it its "aerosol" power instead of relying on (chemical) propellant. Then mist things with olive oil to get the flavor well dispersed without having to use a large quantity of oil

It's called "Misto". I love mine!