Hi everyone!

NewToFitness
NewToFitness Posts: 9
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
I'm new to the MFP website community and recently started using it through my mobile phone. I love video games, cross-stitch, piano, and reading. Obviously, none of those are fitness-related, hence the weight problem. Also, I'm short and that really compounds the problem when you're talking about BMI.

My boyfriend and I live together and that sometimes makes eating healthier a bit harder. He eats terribly, but never gains a pound -- in fact, he's underweight. I have no idea where his metabolism comes from. He loves junk food and it makes temptation very difficult. This year I tackled it more realistically: I asked him to put all junk food out of reach (I'm very short, and my lack of motivation finally works with me instead of against me!). So far its been working, despite how stupid that sounds.

I've tried to integrate fitness into something that I love (Wii Fit, Dance Dance Revolution, Para Para, etc.) but the appeal sort of wears off after awhile. Fitness and gaming is great, but I was never able to be very consistent about it. This year I decided to try to instead start liking fitness for itself and what benefits it gives me, or at least trick myself into liking it by having a positive attitude. I've decided to jog on the treadmill in the morning, walk to my closest bus stop to work and back, and play some Kinect at home occasionally in the afternoon.

Anyway, I've just decided to be honest with myself about what I'm eating and that's leading me to better eating habits I think. MFP helps, since it seems to track every statistic. Hopefully this and the exercise will lead me to weight loss.

Replies

• Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    So great to have you here. You have some great goals in mind. I hope that you have a great weight loss journey. Feel free to friend me if you like. Oh.......No you don't sound crazy or silly or whatever about putting stuff up where you can't reach it. I am of average height and I still try to do that to myself. lol Anyway......great to have you here.
  • seemae
    seemae Posts: 38
    Hey! I'm new too... and I relate on so many levels. It's not easy to lose weight when you're into video games, reading and music (I don't cross-stitch though, I don't have the attention span. I tried knitting but ended up forgetting how to do it, haha). My boyfriend is also a terrible eater - he actually used to spend anywhere from 20 to 100 dollars a WEEK on fast food, so it's very discouraging when I see him munching on Wendy's, KFC, Burger King, you name it while I try to stick to eating at least normal meals.

Consistency is really hard with video games... I tried the Wii Fit route but when you boot up your console, you end up thinking "do I really want to do step aerobics and hula hoop for half an hour or play Zelda?" The Fit's nice for keeping track at the very least. But going the attitude change route - and sticking foods up high (I do the SAME thing, it's not stupid at all - Oreos so high up in the cupboard that I have to climb on the counter to get them), both good plans.

Feel free to friend me. Like I said, I'm new here too, but I'm hoping being more active/keeping track/not eating as much crap as I used to all works out and they say motivation is key. I know I need it!
This discussion has been closed.