Cardio at Home Ideas???

Options
So I'm a mom and I can't always get out and walk or go to the gym. I do have a few DVD's but I definitely need some more variety to keep me going! So I wanna ask if anyone has any good ideas for different cardio exercises that I (and others like me) can do at home with little to nothing? Lets try to think of lots of things we can do so everyone can get something out of this and get motivated!! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Jump-roping is a realllly good workout. They have "speed-ropes" at Ross right now for $4.99. :)

Step-ups on a stool or a high stair are good too, go as fast as you can in a set amount of time. Right foot up, left foot up, right foot down, left foot down, repeat. Easy.

I know you're looking for cardio, but strentgh is important too... free-weights. Upper body workouts, squats, ab workouts.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. I also just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.
  • ukq727
    ukq727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Walking the stairs in your home is good, jump and jacks, wall squats, chair dips, Wii, running in place for intervals of 5 minutes 5 times.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Dancing to ipod or radio, marching to commercials or when brushing teeth and drying hair, almost anything can be turned into cardio, if you have stairs, try carrying each little thing upstairs rather than piling at bottom and making just one trip. I am not good at "exercising" but can fit in different things to get in a workout. Good luck and be inventive, It is way more fun!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I have lots of strength exercises from books! Thanks for the great ideas so far! Keep them coming!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is good. I have 2 kids and they join in (in their on pace, they are only 7 and 4), but it is fun for us all and they enjoy it...most of the time. Unless I turn it over in a middle of their programme, lol
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you have cable tv and they offer on demand, there are TONS of free workout videos! I'm always trying out new ones to switch things up and to avoid getting bored.. :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I like cleaning.
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention. I'm training to increase my hiking stamina, and if you have a backpack, try loading it with bottles of water (a few liters). When I'm hiking for research, I have to carry 3-4 liters of water and it gets my heart going! Put on the backpack while you workout, it makes you work harder. :)
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has some great work outs. I lost over 125lbs doing one called Turbo Jam - msg me if you want more info-
    I also think putting on music and dancing around is fun! :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    when i was a nanny, my exercise was just running around the backyard with the kids. not sure if you have that option or how old your children are, but maybe engage them in a game of tag or soccer?

also, if you have Netflix available, there are tons of on-demand videos out there!