Car accident a few days ago :(

Options
I was involved in a car accident on Thursday during work, the accident was my not fault as a guy's car went right into mine but thank God no one was killed.
I started MFP a week ago, and before that was able to work out every day- and was eating healthy/. Now I am on pain meds and sleeping a lot, I am following my calories- though I did go to Mexican food last night and may have eaten a bit too much;. However, I had just gotten over 3 fractures in my foot- I was only back to work for 3 days before this happened. The fractured foot was due to falling on the ice after shoveling.
I am not accident prone lol usually , but I am frustrated about this set back.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Glad you are ok. Keep an eye on everything bodywise for the next week or twobefore doing anything too strenous. Sometimes it takes a week for stuff to set in. Just keep your eating in check for now and make sure you get checked out by a doc. Good luck!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I hope you get to feeling better! I know right now has to be hard as far as following diet and especially exercise. Concentrate on getting better though and you can get back into the grind when you're all mended. Get well!!
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    As you say, thank God noone was killed. My personal advice would be "Be Kind to Yourself" - be aware of what you're eating, but don't stress about it too much. You're probably still a bit in shock too. Try to exercise gently - find something your broken bones/hurting body will allow you to do - even lifting weights while sitting down would help, I guess!
    But note, I'm no medical person. Could you see your own doctor, explain what you're trying to do and your frustrations and see what they suggest?

But to me, the bottom line is Be Kind to Yourself - those calories will still be there when you're better!
  • Anise76
    Anise76 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!

I was involved in a bus crash on Monday, less than a week after starting MFP, and right after I had started to ramp up my exercise. I'm on meds strong enough to knock a horse out, and my movement has been severely curtailed. I'm sticking to my calories, but the meds are making me constipated, leaving me feeling bloated and larger than ever.

We've got to hang onto the fact that this won't be forever, and we have to do what we can to maintain our current weight, if not lose anything, rather than slide backwards. I know it's hard, especially at those moments when all you want is comfort food, but we can do it!!
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that :( *hugs*

Just try and do what you can do - where are you not injured as badly? Perhaps you can look at some movement exercises that might help you feel a bit more like you're doing something? But other than that, its more important to get better than to worry too much about exercise - if you're injured you don't want to make the injuries worse you know?

Youre doing a great job following your calories - that should at least help make sure you don't put on weight.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    where i used to work we had several students who had to limit their activity do to injuries. for them their doctor recommended doing chair exercises. just pop in your favorite exercise video and do the motions for the arms and for the leg that you can use. also there are exercise videos online that are specifically for chair exercise. also if you go to you tube and type in chair exercises they have a whole slew of things you can do. i hope you recover soon and completely from your injuries. i am glad no one was seriously injured,
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- my first instinct after the hospital ER was to go "treat" myself to a lot of junk. I held my own pretty good but I still want to binge because I want comfort.
    I am sad because I was out of work for 7 weeks due to falling on the ice- and now this. Once my foot healed, I was so excited to go back to working out.
    I know this is a minor set back, but I am just glad I have a place to come to, to talk about nutrition and eating healthy too!
    I am going to need to be accountable for my food because when I feel sorry for myself, I tend to over eat!
    You guys are great- thanks so much!
  • merzback
    Options
    Right now I can't do any exercises at all til I go back to the doctor- the pain killers are making me feel bloated but are helping!
  • Anise76
    Options
    All I can do is walk, but it's MUCH slower than my normal pace. My dog hates me for it - he's an ex-racing greyhound, so likes to lope along at a pretty fast clip.

Once everything's healed, I plan on hitting C25K for the first time, soooo... could be interesting! ;)
  • merzback
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up- can you take your greyhound to an off leash dog park so he can exercise there? My puppy LOVES it!
  • Anise76
    Options
    He and other dogs don't get on, unfortunately, and he also doesn't come back if let off the lead. However, just managed a slowish walk with him that was long enough to tire him out, sooooo... we seem to be back on an even keel. ;)