eating all my calories for dinner

2»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Ruby70 - Careful with lodros idea of intermittent fasting! I am far from an expert in any of this, so if you want real advice I would speak with Doctors or nutritionists. However, I have lost 95 lbs, so I think I know a little. I can tell you that fasting/starvation is NOT the answer. Been there done that, it has the opposite affect from what you want. Your body does need food for fuel everyday. Good luck!!

To add that intermittent fasting in how it's usually done would give you an eating window from about 1 PM to 7PM. It is not about starvation either, because you eat sufficient calories every day. I don't know what fasting regime you followed, but it wasn't the Leangains way of intermittent fasting, which gives you an eating window of about 6 hours DAILY during which you eat. But, as I also said I realize I am in a special category. So I really wonder at the agression.

Good luck all.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Different things work for different people. It is a journey and you need to experiment and find out what works for you. Breakfast is not my biggest meal of the day, but I do make sure to eat is because your body has been fasting all night. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism.

Whatever it is you decide you like, just make sure it is something you can stick with, that's the key. I personally like to eat 4-6 times a day but everyday is different depending on my level of activity. You said you were starving by dinner...that tells me you didn't have enough during the day.

Good luck and keep trying to see what works!! You'll find it :)
  • lfafnis
    lfafnis Posts: 35 Member
    Ruby70 - Careful with lodros idea of intermittent fasting! I am far from an expert in any of this, so if you want real advice I would speak with Doctors or nutritionists. However, I have lost 95 lbs, so I think I know a little. I can tell you that fasting/starvation is NOT the answer. Been there done that, it has the opposite affect from what you want. Your body does need food for fuel everyday. Good luck!!

To add that intermittent fasting in how it's usually done would give you an eating window from about 1 PM to 7PM. It is not about starvation either, because you eat sufficient calories every day. I don't know what fasting regime you followed, but it wasn't the Leangains way of intermittent fasting, which gives you an eating window of about 6 hours DAILY during which you eat. But, as I also said I realize I am in a special category. So I really wonder at the agression.

Good luck all.

Agression? You have the nerve to question my Doctors schooling, but I am the agressor? Interesting. If you are in a "special" category and decide to use a radical plan to lose weight, that is certainly your perogative. I am merely cautioning those of us in the "usual" category against trying radical methods employed by those in the "special" category. However, to my knowledge people are people. Health and well being is determined by the same factors. I really question the schooling of whoever is telling you that you are in a "special" category.
  • lfafnis
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I do that too. Just be sure you are giving your body some fuel periodically thru out the day. That helps the body release actual fat, instead of hanging on to it for fuel. A doctor told my husband that recently. It helps in losing belly fat especially.:wink:

I wonder at that doctor's schooling
    I wonder why you think your opinions are so much more relevant than a doctors? You seem to be critisizing everything on this post.

Mainly because many physicians know next to nothing about nutrition, and hence their opinion is just as good as yours, or mine.

(Adding that i am in a calorie restriction program that _is_ medically supervised and is part of a study on calorie restriction and brain tumor growth.)

Study? Hmmm explains a lot. BTW: the doctor we spoke to is an expert in nutrition and sports medicine. Pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.
  • lfafnis
    Ahhhh, now I truly get it. Lodro keeps mentioning leanagains. Essentially his posts to this blog is advertising leanagains, which is a website that will get you to subscribe to their methods, for a FEE. That's why he is poo pooing the known, tried and true methods, he's being paid to do so. It's all an effort to get us to spend our money on yet another get slim quick scheme. Sorry, won't work. There is no easy way to lose weight, good old diet management and exercise is the only way to get there. The kicker is that endorsing products, websites, etc is strictly forbidden by MFP. So again, I implore you all not to listen.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, I do that too. Just be sure you are giving your body some fuel periodically thru out the day. That helps the body release actual fat, instead of hanging on to it for fuel. A doctor told my husband that recently. It helps in losing belly fat especially.:wink:

I wonder at that doctor's schooling

I listen to a podcast which is hosted by a nutritionist and she says something similar. What it is is that if you don't eat regularly then your body begins to think it's in a time of famine and so it stores more as fat when you do have something to eat. From an evolutionary and survival point of view it makes sense. It's not been that long that the western world has had plenty of food for everyone, we've not had a chance to evolve from that yet.
  • I noticed that I was also eating more at night so I've been working toward balancing my calories more throughout the day. The reasons I decided to do this are:
    1. stabilization of blood sugar so I don't have a hunger swing at a time that I can't solve that issue in a health way to support my desired goal
    2. I need to learn to eat smaller meals with satisfaction - I was afraid that continuing with a large meal would not help me learn portion control nor satisfaction with smaller portions.
    3. I'm trying to improve my sleep quality at night and have found that fewer calories at night helps me sleep better
    4. Studies show that 78% of successful losers eat breakfast so by eating a smaller meal at night, I'm then ready to eat something the next morning.

by making this change for me, I've noticed that the weight is coming off faster than it was when I was staying within calories, but not spreading them across the day.

as others have indicated - we're all different and our bodies respond differently to stimuli.

good luck everyone and may those pounds melt off!
This discussion has been closed.