The Newbie :)

Options
Hi everyone! I've been using myfitness for about two weeks now and I've lost 8pds! I'm really looking forward to losing lots more but I've found myself slacking the past few days and it has me worried. I'm determined to lose 20pds by May 20th, my first concert of the season and start to my vacation. In total I would like to lose about 100pds. I need to this for so many reason,

My biggest weakness is that I don't exercise! I work 50 hours a week from dawn till dusk and by the time I get home I'm so tired I don't want to go for a walk or run. I the rare times when I do go out I feel great! Anyone have any ideas on how to stay motivated?

Looking forward to posting my successes!!! :smile:

Replies

• Nanette1965
    Options
    I am only good for working out if it is the first thing i do in the day. so maybe a video that you can do inside or just a 15minute walk before you head to work. also take the stairs at work and if you drive park your car as far away as you can. I am sure I am telling you nothing new but if you need an exercise partner just let me know!
  • Nomnomnivore
    Options
    I used to have a schedule like that, so what I did was on my lunch break I made sure to always go walking, even if it was just in circles at the closest mall. Take small breaks throughout your day and climb stairs in short bursts, and like the other poster said, park farther away and find excuses to walk more than you have to. Keep it up, you're off to a great start!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the Air Guard. Last year, he was deployed for about 10 months straight, I was pregnant with our second child, had full time care of our first child, and was working 40 hours a week (though, 1/2 hour commute each way, and hour lunch, from the time I dropped off our daughter at day care, until I picked her up, it was 10 hours). I had to kind of sneak activity in between everything because I was determined to not put weight on with the baby.

Taking walks on my lunch break was a really big help. I got an hour for lunch, so I would take a 15-20 minute walk, go in, clean up, and then have lunch. Also, Parking farther away was a great idea. Now, I know some days you're running kind of late, so the extra time it takes you to walk through the lot can set your whole day off. On the days you're making good time though, it's a great idea to pretty much park as far away as you can in the lot. I also do this at the grocery store. I park as far out in the lot as I can and still be next to a cart corral (so it's easier to get the kids back to the car after getting the cart corralled). Another thing that helped was finding fun things to do to burn calories. Like we have a Wii, so I got the "Just Dance 2" game for my older daughter and I to play (she's 4, and thinks it's awesome). It's pretty fun to play, so it doesn't feel like exercising.

I hope something here is useful to you. It helps to tell yourself that even small things count, so even though it may not seem like much when you're just parking a couple of rows back, or just getting a five minute walk in on your break, it all adds up.

-Spayrroe