Eating late at night

taso42_DELETED
taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
When I was a fat guy, I would eat late at night, and I continued to be a fat guy who was getting fatter and fatter.

Now I am a lean guy, and I still eat late at night, and I'm getting leaner and leaner.

What's the difference? Part of it is the choice of foods, but most of it comes down to honoring my calorie deficit.

It doesn't matter too much what time(s) of day you eat. If you're constantly hungry late at night then eat late at night. If you're constantly going over calories because of this, then start planning better and save up a few calories from each meal during the day to allow room for a late night meal.

The food-at-night myth has gone on too long and it's throwing people off course. It's got to stop.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    So very true. No matter how much it is said that it doesn't matter, people still hear 10 people saying to opposite. It still needs to be said though. When you eat doesn't matter.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    SO true.
    I read an article once about the myth of late night eating causing weight gain. The author said something like, "there is no 'witching hour' when calories magically turn into fat when you eat them." It's all about the total at the end of the day, not what time of day you eat them.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Bingo. My evening snack is usually at about 10 or 11 at night - *gasp* only an hour or two before bed. As long as you're eating healthy foods, stop worrying about eating too late.

Planning is everything!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I agree. Sometimes, I even eat right before bed. Well, before I brush my teeth, Then I go to bed.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Oh, Hallelujah!
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    late night snacks I always thought were my downfall. Then I realized it was the bag of chips or box of donuts that was making my late night habit make me fatter. I replaced those bad foods with either a fruit or my fave, carmel corn rice cakes with natural peanut butter!!! I love this snack. I'm glad to see I am not the only person that doesn't cut off my food intake at 6pm.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    I eat every 3 hours and my last meal is 2 hours B4 bed. I lose 2 pounds a week like clockwork.

The only stall I had was due to eating too little at the same time that I was exercising too much. Hitting the goal(net) is what matters. Calories in/calories out(counting eating the exercise cals).
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    This is so true! Thanks for addressing this. I usually eat within an hour or two of going to bed, I couldn't get to sleep if I were hungry.
  • censu67
    censu67 Posts: 53 Member
    You know it's funny, I'm here an hour or so before bed and under my net cals for the day stressing on should I eat because it's so late. I think I will grab something.

One thing though, any thoughts on carbs late versus non carbs?

I love toast and hot milk.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    You know it's funny, I'm here an hour or so before bed and under my net cals for the day stressing on should I eat because it's so late. I think I will grab something.

One thing though, any thoughts on carbs late versus non carbs?

I love toast and hot milk.

I've read conflicting theories on carbs at night. Some people say to eat according to your activity, and since you don't need energy to go to be, you don't need carbs. Others say it doesn't matter when you eat them, it is all calories in vs calories out. I think it all depends on the individual, and how their body works. If you're insulin sensitive, you should refrain from carbs at night, and stick to proteins, and vegetables. For me, I don't think it matters. I usually eat carbs, and protein with every meal, and I have lost weight pretty consistently.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    It's 9:30pm and I just downed about 500 calories in a yummy peanut butter/banana snack. I do this every night and I'm still losing! It's totally a myth... it all comes down to total calories consumed and has nothing to do with WHEN you consume those calories.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    taso42 rocks btw... ;)
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    I work late into the evening (get done at 1 am) and I tried the whole "don't eat after 7 or 8 pm" thing. Totally backfired, because I was starving by 11 pm. Most of the time I could work through the hunger, but why do that if I don't have to? Now I have a small snack every 2 hours while I work. Keeps me from feeling deprived!

Thanks for posting this; it might help someone who struggles with not eating late at night just because they heard somewhere that it's bad! :)
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Totally agree. It's the total calories, not when. I almost always have 6 almonds before bed. Just the right amount to stave off hunger.

Yes, I too am a historically bad late night snacker, but with better choices, I am almost always full.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    it doesnt matter what time you eat..that is one of those diet myths. you still continue to burn calories as you sleep, as your body still functions. calories are calories no matter what time you eat them.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Y'all just made my day. Really. I'm so impressed that you all knew that the old "don't eat at night" wive's tale has been thoroughly disproven. Way to go. I love an educated group of people. Y'all rock!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Preach!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Cool! I exercise at night and don't typcially eat those calories before I work out, just in case I miss my calorie goal (like tonight -- did more strength training than usual and wore myself out. Still feeling the burn! But I digress .. . )

Thanks for the post -- I think I'll have a snack!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    :laugh: its 12 am finished eating cherrios w/milk and a protein shake!!!:drinker:
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    thanks for the reminder! :)
This discussion has been closed.