My struggle with the treadmill

Options
Does anyone else out there struggle with a slow jogging pace or small step stride?

I started about a week ago and I've found myself very frustrated on the treadmill. While most can jog at a 5.0 I find myself jogging at a 4.2 and at a 4.6 I'm at running pace.

I know the calories the treadmill is giving me cannot be accurate... it probably thinks I'm walking at a fast pace when I'm actually jogging.

Trying to deal with it I've been tracking the amount of TIME that I'm jogging and the amount of TIME that I'm walking during my 30 minute treadmill workout, but the lowest pace on MFP for jogging is 5.0, so I've been using that not sure of the accuracy.

Any suggestions?

BTW - treadmill seems to differ from outside: Today I timed myself jogging in my neighborhood with my dog. At a steady jog I went a whole mile without stopping (yay me,) and timed at 13 minutes. According to MFP that's almost a 5.0 speed.... go figure! :tongue:

Replies

• kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When i first started jogging a little my jogging pace was 4.0 and as I got better with it and more comfortable at that pace I started jogging at 4.5-50 and am still comfortable. My goal is to be comfortable at 5.5-6.0 someday.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I always go faster when I'm outside. As for the calories, I use a HRM so my speed isn't as much of an issue. I run between 4.5 and 5 right now....
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration because I have a similar problem.

You see, I am 29 and 4 ft 7 inches tall. The strides I walk are at about 1.5 times faster than someone of average height. So if the treadmill says 2.5 mph, I am actually walking at 4.0 mph.

For me the breakthrough in finding this out was getting the Nike chip that connects to my iPod touch (it also works on the newer generation iPod nanos) and it allows me to get a more accurate picture of the distance, time and speed I walk. While it doesn't give me the actual speed in mph, I can calculate it simply by using the formula:

speed = distance (in miles) divided by the time (in hours)

So say you walked 3 miles in 30 min. The speed would be 3 divided by one half. Meaning your speed was 6 miles an hour.

I use the Nike chip when I am at the gym using the treadmill or just taking a walk around my neighborhood. It helps keep me honest LOL. I then enter the exercise at the closest to the speed I was walking on MFP.

I hope this helps.
  • happynmontana
    happynmontana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Whew... good to know that I'm not alone in this. ( I was beginning to feel like like something was wrong with me.)

I keep trying to tell myself not to worry about it because I'm moving and my heart rate is up - - but it would be nice if MFP had either a manual entry method for calorie burn, or at least a 4.0 jogging option. This way the tracking of the cals would be more accurate...
  • happynmontana
    happynmontana Posts: 42 Member
    Options

You see, I am 29 and 4 ft 7 inches tall. The strides I walk are at about 1.5 times faster than someone of average height. So if the treadmill says 2.5 mph, I am actually walking at 4.0 mph.

For me the breakthrough in finding this out was getting the Nike chip that connects to my iPod touch (it also works on the newer generation iPod nanos) and it allows me to get a more accurate picture of the distance, time and speed I walk. While it doesn't give me the actual speed in mph, I can calculate it simply by using the formula:

So say you walked 3 miles in 30 min. The speed would be 3 divided by one half. Meaning your speed was 6 miles an hour.

I use the Nike chip when I am at the gym using the treadmill or just taking a walk around my neighborhood. It helps keep me honest LOL. I then enter the exercise at the closest to the speed I was walking on MFP.

I hope this helps.

Yes it does!! I can use this formula and like u said chose the closest option that MFP offers... THANK YOU!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

I hope this helps.

Yes it does!! I can use this formula and like u said chose the closest option that MFP offers... THANK YOU!

You are more than welcome for the advice. I am glad it could help. If you have any questions or concerns go ahead and message me. If I can helps at all, I will.

I have been using this site and the app for nearly 2 months and have lost 13 lbs so far, so something I am doing is working LOL. Good luck with everything and talk to you later.