The Late Night Snacking Thing...

Options
Okay, so I can go almost all day without eating. Especially if I get busy. (I'm not saying this is good, I'm just saying that I can). I know I like to snack at home at night, so I try to save my calories for when I get home. So for breakfast I have some yogurt and am recently adding an apple. Lunch I sometimes skip, or I have a snack (granola bar, something similar) then I come home and am trying to make decent meals. (A quick caveat--because of my job, I generally get in to work at between 10 and 11:00 MWF and 930 TR, I try to work out MWF mornings before I go it, so it isn't like I'm getting up at 6:00 AM and not eating until 5:00 at night).

I'm often not particularly hungry in the mornings, too.

I know (I've been told) breakfast is important, but then when I'm home at night, all the calories are gone and I want to snack.

Sometimes I'm not hungry, I'm just used to snacking, but other times I do feel hungry.

So, how do I work this? How do I start to train my body to be hungry when it is supposed to. I'm already doing what I can do get crappy snacks out of the house and stuff like that.

Replies

• karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with being really hungry at night and just gorging myself with snacks. Even though I try and make a nice meal I am always hungry afterwards.
    I really want to know the answer to this too. I don't eat that much during the day either. (Small meals)

BUMP:smooched:
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    oh lord, TASO, TASO come out, come out wherever you are....

link up your post here!!

xo
  • vroyyoung
    vroyyoung Posts: 33
    Options
    I tend to late night snack even when I'm not hungry. I've actually managed this (not hungry) snacking with weight loss hypnosis. It's helped me with all my mindless snacking. Good luck with yours!
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i eat half of my calories at 11 at night! save me too!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Veggies and fruits are my choice for late night snacks on the weekends. I work 2nd shift so don't get home till about 11pm during the week. I try to eat something every two hours or so. Seems to help with the urges to binge.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Save a up a few calories during the course of the day so you can eat something at night.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too, but... I finally wrapped my head around telling myself 'NO, the kitchen is closed!' I have found that a cup of hot tea satisfies me just as well... really good stuff like blueberry or peach or mint, sweetened with stevia or splenda... I went to the health food store specifically for good quality tea and they were worth the money I spent! Also I have found that if I go all day without the right foods in the right quantities I am ravenous at bedtime. I started beefing up my daytime meals so I'm not still starving after dinner. Sometimes I still have a snack here and there, but I decided that habit was going to destroy all my efforts and it's just not worth it. It has been a hard habit to break though!! good luck!
  • kell33
    kell33 Posts: 4
    Options
    i have had weight loss hypnosis and found it has helped loads drinking plenty of water helps also someone advised me to start knitting at night and its been great (im not that good) but it keeps my hands busy while sitting watching tv so i dont reach for the sweets and crisps :smile:
  • adholcomb
    adholcomb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, eating at night all depends on how late you workout and when you go to bed. I don't set a time, but during a work week, I am done by 8:00/8:30PM since I am trying to lay it down by 10:00/10:30PM. If I eat close to when I go to sleep, it keeps me up, and I just don't feel good through the night.
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    I've been fighting this battle for years! I've always had to have a 8pm snack. That was my eating habits since I was a child and it's unbelievably hard to quit eating at that time. Because of my late snacking, I've gained lots of weight and increased my heart burn issues. The past 2 months I've been drinking more water through out the day and especially have a large glass of water at 8pm to curb the cravings. So far it's worked, but it's not easy when the cravings are intense.