Work Lunches - What do you take?

Options
Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys are taking to work for a lunch. Right now I'm taking a sandwich made on Dempsters Ancient Grains bread, mustard, turkey or ham and light havarti cheese. This runs me about 450 calories which I'm thinking is a little high.

Just wondering what you guys are taking as your lunch?

Also, I love the Dempsters bread but at 120 a slice it's a little high in calories. Does anyone have any just as delicious alternatives?

Replies

• ekbwk
    ekbwk Posts: 13
    Options
    If I take a sandwich I use the sandwich rounds. They are 100 calories a piece if you get the whole grain ones and they are so good! I like to use them for paninis and such!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter or tuna salad
    yogurt
    apple
    strawberries
    almonds
    pudding (haha)
    carrots
  • aliceofwonderland
    Options
    I usually bring either a wrap with hummus or cream cheese, a salad with lots of veggies and either hard boiled egg or tuna, or some yogurt/cottage cheese, popcorn, and vegetables.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Usually I bring a turkey sandwich with some fruit or raw veggies on the side. In cold weather, I'll bring tomato soup.

Then I switch it up a couple times a week and bring a salad with chicken and a whole grain bagel. Put the right things in the salad, and it's barely any calories!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    lean cuisine
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually take chicken sandwiches on low calorie bread with light mayo, a yogurt and a piece of fruit or cereal bar.
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make a salad, and usually bring left overs of things we had for dinner.

You might be able to substitute the bread for a deli flat, and think about making a side salad (spinach or red leaf lettuce) with FF dressing.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me I need quick and easy food. I take a applesauce, and a veggie snac pak. I found the ready snac paks at Meijer. They have different ones. Veggies and either a ranch dip or humus. pitta rounds with pepperoni and cheese. Yogurt and fruit. Sometimes half a sandwich. Raisins and dried apricots are a good energy mix. I like to change it up every few days so I don't get into the same old, same old routine. Triscuits and whole wheat crackers are good with the applesauce too.
  • Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Options
    Green Salad with some protein on top (tuna, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese).
    Rice Pasta with marianara sauce, mushrooms, protein.
    Home-made soup, make on th weekend, and freeze in ready to take portions.

Just bring whatever you cooked for dinner the night before. (make sure to make enough for leftovers) And then, pre-measure your lunch the night before, so you know the calorie-count. This cuts down on being rushed in the morning.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I take a whole can of tuna and mix with 1 tbl light mayo (put in small container - makes 1/2 c)
    Put some spinach on each of the halves of an Earthgrain Thin bun and put half of the tuna on each bun and eat the buns/tuna open faced - makes it seem like more :)

It's actually very filling at only 242 calories
  • vwgurl2
    vwgurl2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Usually take lean cuisine or make a spinach salad with strawberries and blueberries and sliced chicken with raspberry walnut dressing... usually runs me about 200 cal. Later I have an apple with PB2.

Oh, and I found a Natures Own wheat bread that is only 50 cal a slice.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I love bread, but it really is high in calories. Now I use light italian bread and it's only 80 calories for 2 slices. I usually make a sandwich with that bread and bring either a light Activia yogurt or a 100 calorie snack pack with a bottle of water. Fruits are pretty filling too.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know it's not for everyone, but I love the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Jewish Rye. It is whole grain with plenty of fiber and it is not sweet. I often find breads offensively sweet when I am trying to make a hearty sandwich. All the molasses, honey, HFCS does not belong in hearty bread. It is nice toasted and fresh, and you can get seeded or not.

Now, the best part is that it has only 70 calories, but it isn't a light bread or so. I guess not adding oodles of sweetener is a god thing for taste and waist!

As for alternatives, we make meat balls once a week, lean ground beef/turkey, baked and I take 4 of those to work. I sometimes have a dipping sauce, and I can heat them or eat them cold. Very lean lunch packed with protein - add some crackers and you have a quick fast lunch
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Usually a sandwich and soup....there are 40 calorie bread slices by Natures Own. So essentially getting 80 calories for 2 slices :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Usually a sandwich and soup....there are 40 calorie bread slices by Natures Own. So essentially getting 80 calories for 2 slices :)
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like salad works mandarin chicken salad. It is expensive so i make the same thing at home. I get romaine lettuce, raw spinach, red cabbage, shredded carrots, canned sugar free mandarin oranges, craisains, and chicken breast. I top it off with light ranch dressing. I measure everything it out.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    100 calorie for the whole grain thin buns.
    2 pieces of turkey-50 calories
    1 slice this swiss 60 calories
    Then mustard, i also put it in the microwave.

Then I mix up the sides
    Baked chips
    Wheat pretzles
    yogurt- low fat
    pudding- low fat
    granola bar
    low fat pb crackers (if i have a long day)
    fruit- any fresh
    applesauce
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are very healthy. They taste good, too! They usually average between 200-300 calories a meal.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    I hate frozen meals, you never get enough.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    If I am in the office and can use the microwave I sometimes take a can of soup, my favourite at the moment is Heinz Minestrone at 128 calories a can, I also take either two slices of Hovis best of both at 175 calories for the two, and a Hartleys low calorie jelly (jello) which is 9 calories a pot, a banana (90 calories) and/or Quavers at 88 calories.

If I am out and about I take a sandwhich of the Hovis best of both at 175 calories, filled with some wafer thin roast chicken (10 calories a slice) low calorie mayonaise, some cucumber, plum tomatoes, spring onion, a low calorie jello and some quavers and a piece of fruit. I like to be around 500 calories for my lunch, but I don't sweat it.