old gal needs to lose weight

msbev711
msbev711 Posts: 4
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 68 and need to lose weight for heath reasons. I'm finding in really hard to do.....keeping the calories down the best I can but I can't exercise because of my heath issues. I try just doing arm ones and others that I can do sitting down. . any feed back....help or advice will be appreciated.
Msbev: smile:

Replies

• LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Welcome! You can do this, you have to want it really badly. If you are chair bound there are still exercies you can do. I put "seated exercises" in Bing and came up with lots of web pages & videos to view. If you can walk then take a walk. If you can only walk 5 minutes today, do that, then try for six minutes tomorrow. Best wishes for your success.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    rubber stretch bands.....Walmart sells them.....i use them while I watch tv...

God bless you and good luck to you

Bill
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Hang in there - it is great that you're getting active - seated arm exercises are a good place to start! If you Google "Chair Exercises for the Elderly" (even though you are not elderly!) you'll find tons of info and ideas and instructions - maybe there's some you haven't thought of yet. Everyone has to start somewhere and you're in the right place for lots of encouragement and support! I wish you all the best and hope to see your post asking for walking tips in the future! :smile:

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step." :flowerforyou:
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Welcome! You can do it even without major exercise. I've been sick for the last few days and couldn't exercise so I was super careful with my calorie/sodium intake and I still lost! You can do it!!

Good luck to ya :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    the calories set for you by mfp are actually already factored for you to lose weight even without extra exercise, based on your normal daily activities (mine is set for sedentary)
    i have not worked out more than once in past 2 weeks (various reasons) but even when i could work out i was only doing so once or twice a week anyway.
    and i am losing *S* and i am another old girl *grins*
  • msbev711
    Thanks for all the support and help. I can walk but my legs swell and I suppose to put them up as much as I can...I going to try to start walking in place swinging my arms for as long as possible maybe five minutes ( or until the pain get to bad :( )and work up from there.
    msbev
  • If you have a dog, you could just take it for a leisurely walk around the block a few times a week. Dogs are great because their enthusiasm to get ahead makes you unconciously walk just a bit faster!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    You stated you need to lose for health reasons and that your feet/legs swell; are you under a Dr's care (I hope so). The Dr. can set you up with a nutritionist and help to plan meals/snacks. If you have certain health issues he/she can also refer you to P.T. to help get you started on an exercise program set for you. (Medicare covers this).
    Do your legs seep fluid or just swell? How far up the leg do they swell? Are they very hard/firm when you press thumb into them, and how long does the indentation ( if there is one) stay after you press? Lastly, are you on diuretics, beta blockers or calcium channel blockers? All these things need to be taken into account.

Start slow. 3-5 min walking 3-4X's/day and increase length of time and # times as tolerated. Definitely take 20+ mins 3-4x/day to put feet up above heart level. You should have an exercise and diet program set up for you with P.T./Dr./Dietitian due to your health concerns.
    This site is great for logging food and exercise as well as finding fellow MFPer's for support/motivation.
  • msbev711
    thx every one for ur replies
    .no dog just three cats....
    yes I am under a Dr. care...it's just the right calf that swells and my ankles. (no weeping )...... my youngest daughters legs do weep. My Dr. just says lose weight, and wear compression stocking.....he has never sent me to another Dr. I only meds i take are a high blood pressure pill, a water pill and a prilosec. The Dr. recommends the DASH diet which is what I'm trying to follow.
    oh and I do get to put my feet up more now that I retired from work last Sept.
    For the 14 months I have been caregiver for my DH ...he is getting slowing getting better.
    I'm glad I found this site.
This discussion has been closed.