How to change when......

Options
I'm struggling with how to change my diet and lifestyle when I'm in a really rough patch right now. Due to circumstances beyond my control I'm having to live with my mother. I've been living here with her since May of last year and won't be able to get anywhere else until at least June. The problem is that she doesn't particularly care about her weight and doesn't see why I am concerned and/or do care about mine. She constantly says we can't afford to buy fresh fruits and vegtables and yet she will buy candy and cookies every chance she gets. It's hard enough for me as I have 2 seperate eating disorders and I know that when I'm depressed and/or bored I eat. I made the step about a year ago to start trying to go for fruits, nuts(mixed or straight cashews) or things like licorice(if my sweet tooth is really acting up) instead of eating a full big bag of chips or candy(the stuff with tons of fat in it) and have been doing great with that. Another trick I picked up is sucking on hard candy instead but how can I incorporate more fruits and veggies when I'm not able to buy those foods? Although I do add fruits to my salad but that's about the only way I can get fresh fruits and veggies right now is by eating salads. Anything else is either the packaged mashed potatos(dehydrated) or canned and that's when we even have any type of side dish with meals. In terms of excercise because of the situation that has me living here I am terrified of leaving the house so I'm trying to figure out ways I can excercise that don't mean I have to go outside. Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you have to change your life in order to change your lifestyle. It sounds like you don't have very much control over your situation right now, and until you get control, you will just have to do the best you can.

Good luck and hang in there.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You dont have to go out and exercise
    Many days I like using You Tube and search for home workouts or cardio workout at home.
    I have even found P90x, ab ripper x, Turbo Jam, 30 day shred, etc...

As for foods- seems your stuck a little but if canned fruits is what you can get , get them in light syrup or rinse them off from the juice they are in. As for canned veggies do the same thing.
    Just watch your portions and you can stay under calories but may not feel as full b/c you will not be able to eat as much.
    Sad your mom cant be more supportive!! My hubby is not supportive to me and me being a Chef he always wants all these calorie packed meals.

Hang in there honey
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Not sure to how to help with the food situation, but exercising at home is easy... except for walking the dog, I *always* exercise at home, indoors. There are tons of workout videos you can follow along with on YouTube, or you can just make your own exercise regimen. On days when I don't feel like doing a video, I usually just dance around like a nut to my favourite songs and do some situps, push ups, weight lifts to add in some strength training... assuming you don't have weights where you are, go for heavy things around the house -- the kitchen usually has plenty. You may as well use those bottles of soda for something! ;)

Good luck.