1st Day and need to eat more?

Options
Help, I am ignorant when it comes to how much to eat to meet weightloss goals... :frown:

I am finished with dinner and still have 763 net cal. left to reach my nutritional goal

How close should I get to meeting my daily caloric goals?

Thanks!

Replies

• steph5565
    steph5565 Posts: 36
    Options
    I know some people will disagree with me, but if you're full, then stop. No need to eat calories just to get closer to your goal. Your body will tell you if it needs more food by feeling hungry. (some people are going to warn you of "starvation mode", your body will NOT go into starvation mode after one day of a low caloric intake)

That being said, if you do want to up your calories, try mixing some calorically dense foods into your meals. Healthy fats can bump you up (i.e., olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc). Or maybe make a "dessert" of oats, milk, cinnamon and vanilla (about 200 calories added, with fiber and protein).
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    You really want to get to your daily calorie intake. If you don't, you will not lose as much weight because you start putting your body into a hunger/survival mode. Your body need fuel to help you burn fat. Peanut Butter is a good snack to have to add to your calories. It has protein and what are known as good fats. Nuts and especially Almonds are great.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Your probably going to get many folks answering you need to eat them all and many stating you do not.

I eat them all and that has been working for me.

What I did the first couple of weeks was to get a scale, learn to accurately weigh all foods and count all calories, learn to spread out my meals into six different times, and learn how to eat a wide variety of foods including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and foods that I love.

Once I had the basics down pat I then started eating both my regular calories and exercise calories and haven't looked back.

Good luck!
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I agree you're going to get many different answers. It's hard to tell what kind of advice to give without knowing exactly what you're eating. But...there are some people who can eat within or under their calorie target without eating a single fruit or vegetable. My opinion is that isn'tt good for you. I eat when I'm hungry and try to hit every food group. I try to come as close as I can to my NET calorie target, which means eating most of my exercise calories.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Help, I am ignorant when it comes to how much to eat to meet weightloss goals... :frown:

I am finished with dinner and still have 763 net cal. left to reach my nutritional goal

How close should I get to meeting my daily caloric goals?

Thanks!
    Do not confuse nutrition with dieting, many do not feed the body right and it will take some time to learn how to do so correctly and with the correct quantity to get the metabolism fueled and going in the right direction, sadly to many have allowed their health and food choices just coast along on the path of life without taking the helm and steering it to where you want. I highly recommend that you initially follow mfp but make sure that you take the time to educate yourself as that will tell you who is full of crap on here (and there are lots on here who are full of said crap) and those who are in the know, and those are usually the ones who have been successful over the long term and not the short term.