How did you do it?

Options
I have tried eating healthier and exercising several times (too many to count)..but I want to make it happen this time!! How did you make it a habit? I feel like when I allow myself cheat days, then it becomes cheat week and cheat month. I get frustrated so easily with exercise. If I feel like I can't keep going anymore, I quit instead of slow down or modify. I decided this time I am going to start slow. I am quitting pop and going to incorperate exercise. Once I get the hang of it, I will start working on my diet. I wrote down several classes I am going to try at my local YMCA in my calender, like they are appointments and Im going to try to think of it that way for the first week or two. I am going to go to Zumba, a flexability and toning class, cycling, and kettlebells and core class this week. I will modify this if too sore and at least go for a long walk to get in some workout.

I'm getting ready to move out of state in 2 months and I want to go with a new attitude and working on a new body.

My goals:
1. Lose 10lbs prior to move (May 19th)
2. Attend at least 3 fitness classes at the YMCA per week
3. No pop until move
4. Log onto this website each day and log all exercise and food

Hope I can make it this time!! Happy Monday everyone :)

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Best of Luck to you on your journey.. lots of great advice and support on this site!!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days anymore. I allowed myself to do that and when I plugged in what I ate it made me so mad at myself. I like how this site holds you accountable for your actions. I follow a very good diet and count everything I do, food and exercise. And I find little calorie burners such as sex, walking a dog, etc. It all adds up and lets you work towards your goals. If its too easy for you to cheat and then keep cheating, then you know what you need to do!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hypnosis at all? I purchased an app for my iPod. Its called "Increase your motivation and raise your energy", by Glenn Harold. I put it on when I go to bed at night and it sends signals to the subconcious side of your brain. This was my problem prior to getting it as I did exercise when I wanted to but it was little and not often enough. It also gets you to eat healthy so for £5 ($3) it was a godsend. You do need to listen to it for 21 consecutive days though as it takes that long on average for something to become a habit. Whlst I have only lost 14lb in 3 months, my bodyfat has gone from 28% to 17% in that time and I dont think I could have done it without this app. Try it, for the cost of a small pizza its so worth it.
    Rick
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    can i just say 3 things to remember ALWAYS and you will do it..
    1.ROUNTINE
    2.exersice
    3.stay under calorie goal

EASY and good luck
  • boofa88
    boofa88 Posts: 15
    Options
    good for you! you've come to the right place! this site has been great helping me stay on track with my eating and exercise - i log everything, even if it's a bad day - still counts ;-)
    a few things i do that help me -
    - exercise (pretty much) everyday - i know it sounds insane, but i've done a degree in ex and sports science/nutrition, and it really is the only way to lose weight and keep it off - make it a part of your lifestyle not just a diet you're doin for the next few months. either do a little bit every day (30 mins) or more on weekdays and take the weekend off!

- find someone to keep you accountable - for me that's my boyfriend. he's recently lost 12kgs himself and although it probably sounds freaky, he always watches what i eat! sometimes i know i cheat myself - it's good he can keep me in check.

- lastly, get rid of anything in your way to your goal of weight loss. for me, this was dealing with emotional eating and probs I had with my family - everytime i had to see them i would down a box of cereal and a pizza! when i realised that behaviour really wasnt helping me at all, the weight loss kicked off!

good luck and allthe best!!
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "Once I get the hang of it, I will start working on my diet"-

Morning...This is what I believe is part of your issue. Don't wait til you get a "hang" on anything to start CHANGING your diet. Do it right now. You make something a habit by doing it over and over and learning to really love it. When it becomes a chore you won't do it.

I personally don't believe in cheat days. A few extra calories on a certain day is ok but like you said one day turns into a month, into a week, and so on.Learn to reward yourself in other ways.

The bottom line is that you are the one in control and with the power, NOT THE FOOD! If you want a new attitude then get one. Change your thoughts and actions and you will see results.

YOU CAN DO THIS ...THE ONLY THING STOPPING YOU IS YOU!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I do it by:

- getting up earlier
    - not bailing out of training sessions
    - making better nutritional choices
    - keeping your eyes on the price

I'm sorry there is probably nothing new or earthmovingly innovative in this but at the end of the day that's really all it comes down to.

Find an activity that you enjoy, so it's not a chore but something you look forward to.

And stop eating rubbish, because most normal people can't outperform a bad diet. Considering you need to run 3 miles to work off a sandwich, making the right food choices is massively important.

And in general just take every opportunity not to be lazy. Stairs in stead of the lift/elevator. Not driving around for ages to get the closest spot in the supermarket car park, just park further away and walk! Walk journeys under 2 miles instead of driving etc etc.

At the end of the day it's not rocket science but it does take committment.

Good luck.
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Habit come from doing of something you like - often. Find a form of exercise that makes you excited.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. Your right, I shouldnt wait to incorperate changing my food choices once I get the hang of everything. I would love to try the hypnosis, and although i don't have an ipod, I'm going to see if I can find a book or something on it. I know I have a lot of issues with emotional eating and food. I'm not really that overweight, but I need to nip it in the butt now before it becomes more of a problem, and I would like to get back in shape and feel good again!!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It's definitely a mindset and just take it one healthy decision at a time.