Options
    What is the best way to lose the dreaded "belly Fat?"
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    CARDIO! And ab work to tone the muscles underneath!!!:flowerforyou:
  • back2beingme
    Options
    I'd love to know the answer to that too! I've had two C-sections and my little flabby "skirt" is very out of style...:grumble: That used to be the first place I'd show weight loss, now it just stays there, like an uninvited guest that won't leave!!:angry:

Any suggestion would be great!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Are we talking about that lower belly fat? If so, crunches won't work. You have to do those leg lifts and scissors to tone those lower muscles and flatten that area. I, too, am trying to get that area down, and it's soooo hard b/c it's built in my genes. All the women in my family have lower ab fat! Aaaargh!!!:grumble: If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yes, cardio is the only way to lose the fat on top of the muscles.

Pilates is great for lower belly muscles, however if there is fat covering the muscles you will only feel the difference (which is great!) but you wont see results until the cardio melts that fat away. and it can take forever!!! My belly fat is all i have left to lose, and they say that the 'old fat' goes last, and all i know is that i have had the belly fat for my entire life! so if thats not old fat i dont know what is!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    All you can do is cardio, cardio, and cardio.
    Sorry ladies, as the wise Banks has said many times...your body takes fat from where it decides to take it. You can't "target" where you burn fat.
    I agree with ladywalkalot, you can do excerises to tone the muscles underneath though.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    yes, cardio is the only way to lose the fat on top of the muscles.

Pilates is great for lower belly muscles, however if there is fat covering the muscles you will only feel the difference (which is great!) but you wont see results until the cardio melts that fat away. and it can take forever!!! My belly fat is all i have left to lose, and they say that the 'old fat' goes last, and all i know is that i have had the belly fat for my entire life! so if thats not old fat i dont know what is!

I am right there with you Em! My legs are looking fantastic, my arms are starting to get definition, the lovehandles are almost 100% gone...belly fat...still there, holding strong. :explode: I fear my pooch will never leave. :laugh:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    sounds like pilates for me then! lol
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's true....cardio, cardio, cardio. But if you want to do double duty, make your it a boxing workout like Tae Bo or Turbo Jam, they do lots of twists and knee lifts that tone the middle while amping up your heart rate. I do it, I have vowed to keep doing it so that I don't grow the dreaded "front butt"! :laugh:
    Good luck!
  • agralston
    agralston Posts: 31
    Options
    As people get older and have kids its the hardest area to firm. Pilates is also a great way to firm up that area. But unfortunately there's no quick fix. Diet and tons of cardio is what does it. Good luck.
  • meme2018
    meme2018 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you :smile: Great information. I'm going to start more Cardio. :drinker: :drinker:
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    YES! thanks for the tips to get rid of the stomach 'pooch'! i jog on my treadmill evry night, but its still there! very annoying! :mad: i guess i just need to do more!
  • tashjs21
    Options
    YES! thanks for the tips to get rid of the stomach 'pooch'! i jog on my treadmill evry night, but its still there! very annoying! :mad: i guess i just need to do more!

When you are doing cardio make sure you are "sucking in" that pooch. That helps strengthen tremendously.
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    i don't mean to sound like a broken record but: CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!!!!

my biggest goal when i started to lose weight (at my heaviest i was about 155-160) was to get a flat belly. now after almost 2 yrs of continuous cardio and 20-25 pounds lost, my tummy is now flat... ahh it took forever!! but keep up with it because now it feels so good!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

When you are doing cardio make sure you are "sucking in" that pooch. That helps strengthen tremendously.

yes, thats one of the main things in pilates also..keeping the belly button flat against the spine is how my teacher has us visualize it, and it works wonders!!

My friend Jen and I call the pooch our "alien babies" because they have always been there, wont go away for anything, but have never been born! LOL
  • tashjs21
    Options

yes, thats one of the main things in pilates also..keeping the belly button flat against the spine is how my teacher has us visualize it, and it works wonders!!

My friend Jen and I call the pooch our "alien babies" because they have always been there, wont go away for anything, but have never been born! LOL

:laugh: :laugh:
    Yep, my alien baby won't be missed.
  • kimgasgarth
    kimgasgarth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So how much cardio do you do every day? 5x a week?