Geneen Roth fans?? Food addiction issues?

Options
I look at my being overweight as an addiction to food- food is something I've always used to comfort myself. I think most people who are overweight have core issues that go way past not having enough "will power."
I look at food addiction as something that is like any other addiction- it's that you have to fix the inside too.

If anyone can relate, I'd love to start a discussion about it.

Replies

• lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    How ironic. I just posted a blog about this on my page. I truly agree with the belief that maintaining healthy eating habits and an active lifestyle goes beyond having the "will power" for some people. I believe when I fall off the wagon, it's more like a relapse. At least it is for me. I have to seriously concentrate and focus like crazy to get where I need to be in regard to diet and exercise.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way :o)
  • teddyann
    teddyann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know who Geneen Roth is? The food addiction issues....I am definitely interested in that...I am POSITIVE I am addicted!
  • JodiLouLou
    JodiLouLou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a food addiction too, I eat for no apparent reason and I'm SICK OF IT. Has anyone read Losing Your Pounds of Pain?
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Teddy- google her and get her books out of either in the library or buy them! When Food is Love is an amazing one! I cry when I read these books.

I was watching on discovery health- of whatever it's called now- re- food addiction and how there may be a gene involved. I believe it. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs- my DRUG of choice is food!
  • teddyann
    teddyann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas on books ladies. Certainly will look them up and get them. So....what do you do to combat this addiction? Some days I do pretty good...other days not so much! Any ideas are welcome here.
  • brzegds
    brzegds Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh, most definitely have food addiction issues. I have started journaling to figure out my triggers and can totally relate to "falling off the wagon".
  • cr8tivechris
    Options
    This is a core issue for me and one I have been dealing with for many years so I don't expect it to disappear over night. I have read Geneen Roth's latest book : Women, Food and God, after it was recommended to me by a friend. She was on Oprah several months ago and there are some very good video clips on Oprah's website where she talks about the issue and gives some strategies for dealing with it. There is also a study guide for the book on the website that I have been very slowly working my way through. There are very deep questions to ask yourself and some surprising self-discoveries for me along the way. I love that it is all out there on the web. Late at night when I can't sleep instead of snacking, I fire up the computer and work on the questions. Be prepared to be confronted and for some new insights to come your way.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great - what is the web page??
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I started the Women, Food, and God and didn't finish it. I'll have to check out that group. I do believe food can be an addiction for some.

I attend OA meetings and abstain from certain trigger foods. Treating my overeating as an addiction is working for me. I definitely use/used food to cope with my emotions.

I just saw an ad the other day for a show called Addicted to Food (or something like that) that I want to watch. When I watch most of those weight loss shows--Biggest Loser, Heavy, etc., I've noticed emotional issues are often at the core of most people's weight problems.