OT:Ok, what was your biggest fashion blunder

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi ladies

Since everyone is sick in my house, we were looking through some old pics yesterday..kids get a kick out of that (yes, there was life before they were born..LOL..I think?)

Anyway, besides my obsession in 7/8th grade with purple/blue eyeliner and mascara with frosty pink lippie
I found a pic on my first vacation away with DH (we were in our early 20's/dating)
I must have thought I was the BOMB....what was I thinking???..it was CA..in the summer..HOT!
I had cut denim shorts with work boots (socks sticking out the top) and a long sleeve button down tied around my waist (Just for looks..LOL)
Too funny...horrific....sad...all rolled into one..LOL

So fess up time!
Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Since everyone is sick in my house, we were looking through some old pics yesterday..kids get a kick out of that (yes, there was life before they were born..LOL..I think?)

Anyway, besides my obsession in 7/8th grade with purple/blue eyeliner and mascara with frosty pink lippie
    I found a pic on my first vacation away with DH (we were in our early 20's/dating)
    I must have thought I was the BOMB....what was I thinking???..it was CA..in the summer..HOT!
    I had cut denim shorts with work boots (socks sticking out the top) and a long sleeve button down tied around my waist (Just for looks..LOL)

So fess up time!
    Kim
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    i have pictures of me in grade 8 with the bangs that were all spiked up in a waterfall like motin lol.... and do you remember when jeans were tapered on the bottom and baggy at the top i had a few of those too ..... :blushing:

jackie
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have always had a "quirky" fasion sense between plaid pants and spiked hair(in a rainbow of colors) goofy goth phase(meaning WAYYY TOOO much black anything) overalls with winne the pooh basketball jersey with sports bra, I know I know I know I can just go on and on, and as per advice of a dear friend I am trying to tone down my whackiness just a lil!!!!
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    Let's see... where to begin...

Who ever thought that neon-colored slouch socks, side ponytails, peg-rolled jeans, slap bracelets and banana clips would ever go out of style!?! I guess that's assuming they were ever 'in-style' in the first place.

I can't speak for the rest of the people on this site but I lived through the 80s. 'Nuff said.
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    I have a picture from middle school (mid 80's) where I have on a pair of Jordache jeans with the pin-striping, and I had the nerve to have on an oversized pink sweatshirt, pink leg warmers and some Reebok tennis shoes (remember they came up to the ankle?:laugh: ) and then had a lighter pink terrycloth bandana around my head. You'd swear I was, Like, a Valley Girl! :tongue:
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    When I was in jr. high the "cool" thing to wear were the MC Hammer type pants or the ones the had the "Wings" on them that buttoned together in the front. Also, ALL pants were tucked and rolled at the ankles. :embarassed: :laugh:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Teased bangs, with lots of aquanet
    Saftey pinned the bottoms of my jeans
    Jelly shoes
    I had a ninja turtle ring looped through my neon green shoelaces
    I shaved the back of my head, so that when my hair was in a ponytail, you could see it
    slouch socks
    I had a pair of fake docs because I couldn't afford the real ones, they were so cheap the plastic started peeling off them
    spandex shorts with neon coloured racing stripes
  • jackeh
    Options
    Teased bangs, with lots of aquanet
    Saftey pinned the bottoms of my jeans
    Jelly shoes
    I had a ninja turtle ring looped through my neon green shoelaces
    I shaved the back of my head, so that when my hair was in a ponytail, you could see it
    slouch socks
    I had a pair of fake docs because I couldn't afford the real ones, they were so cheap the plastic started peeling off them
    spandex shorts with neon coloured racing stripes

OMG i shaved the back of my head too!!! i completely forgot about that .... i thought i was hot Stuff!!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I think my "blunders" were not wearing the right clothes for my figure when I was overweight. :embarassed:
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    I was "inspired" by Hole "Celebrity Skin" (from 1998 or was it '99?) That song will forever remind me of something stupid I did for the name of fashion. I was in love with that music video when that song came out. I love that Courtney Love had the jewels in her hair and that black slashed gown (I was 16, cut me some slack ) Anyway, long story short (for a dance) my friend and I decided that we were going to put jewels in our hair like she had in the video. What did it take for us to archive that look?

A visit to the craft store where we purchased a few packages of jewels. A visit to target where we purchased eye lash glue. A few hours later and voila! Our hair sparkled like hers. (And for good measure we sprinkled some glitter on our hair).

Ok, neither one of us thought it through and the next morning I woke up and the jewels were still there. My mom had to help me rip (yes, it was a literal rip) the jewels out of my hair, along with half of my hair.
  • jackeh
    Options
    I was "inspired" by Hole "Celebrity Skin" (from 1998 or was it '99?) That song will forever remind me of something stupid I did for the name of fashion. I was in love with that music video when that song came out. I love that Courtney Love had the jewels in her hair and that black slashed gown (I was 16, cut me some slack ) Anyway, long story short (for a dance) my friend and I decided that we were going to put jewels in our hair like she had in the video. What did it take for us to archive that look?

A visit to the craft store where we purchased a few packages of jewels. A visit to target where we purchased eye lash glue. A few hours later and voila! Our hair sparkled like hers. (And for good measure we sprinkled some glitter on our hair).

Ok, neither one of us thought it through and the next morning I woke up and the jewels were still there. My mom had to help me rip (yes, it was a literal rip) the jewels out of my hair, along with half of my hair.

omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that is funny as heck!!!! (and i remember the video)
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options

omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that is funny as heck!!!! (and i remember the video)

My scalp is aching just thinking about it now.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Hi ladies

So fess up time!
    Kim

HAWT!!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    OMG...I've done all of the above! I went through different styles growing up.

Mid 80's I was a head bangers.
    wearing lots of dark clothes
    tight, really tight jeans with a short leather jacket.
    wore lots of hair bands as head bands (the material ones).
    I loved my def leppard shirt so much I think I wore it at least 4 times a week! lol

Then came my preppy days:

I also shaved my hair but on the one side only.
    I also wore the jelly shoes and the dollar store tennis shoes (2 pair for 5$)
    I wore pins with pictures of my favorite artist
    I wore these ugly dresses that had a huge v neck, like down to your belly button but had a built in shirt underneath, It was big at the top and was tight on your thighs (grade 8 graduation, it was yellow too).

High school I had the typical small town girl big hair that was huge on top and on the sides but the back was flat as can be. Clothes was mostly skinny pants with over sized shirts.

oh the good old days.
  • Shannon023
    Options

I loved my def leppard shirt so much I think I wore it at least 4 times a week! lol

I wore these ugly dresses that had a huge v neck, like down to your belly button but had a built in shirt underneath, It was big at the top and was tight on your thighs (grade 8 graduation, it was yellow too).

High school I had the typical small town girl big hair that was huge on top and on the sides but the back was flat as can be. Clothes was mostly skinny pants with over sized shirts.

oh the good old days.

I remember a comedienne saying, "my hair was so feathered that the back of my head looked like a butt."

That was sooooooo me! :laugh:
  • Mireille
    Options

oh the good old days.

I remember a comedienne saying, "my hair was so feathered that the back of my head looked like a butt."

That was sooooooo me! :laugh:

I haven't heard the word "feathered back" in years. That is so funny!
    Remember back in those days boys and girls had the same feathered back mullet! lol
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Pre 80's & early 80's
    I would wear hiking boots, bell bottom levi's, flannel over tank top and bandana on head. Don't mess with me! If I dressed up I would slap on a pair of high heels. :noway: :embarassed:

The 80's
    Does anyone remember the pants that zipped all the way around? I hung out with bands and we would go to L A a lot.

My favorite saying for the 80's
    "If you can remember the 80's, you weren't there!" :laugh: That would be me. :drinker:

90's had kid, but big perms were in style, the curlier the better.

2000, I am old, and don't care, if I find something I like, I buy a bunch and I am done.
  • Shannon023
    Options

Remember back in those days boys and girls had the same feathered back mullet! lol

Come to mama, boys!! :love:

Driftincopy.jpg

:laugh:
  • Mireille
    Options
    Pre 80's & early 80's
    I would wear hiking boots, bell bottom levi's, flannel over tank top and bandana on head. Don't mess with me! If I dressed up I would slap on a pair of high heels. :noway: :embarassed:

The 80's
    Does anyone remember the pants that zipped all the way around? I hung out with bands and we would go to L A a lot.

My favorite saying for the 80's
    "If you can remember the 80's, you weren't there!" :laugh: That would be me. :drinker:

90's had kid, but big perms were in style, the curlier the better.

2000, I am old, and don't care, if I find something I like, I buy a bunch and I am done.

Omg..I forgot about perms. My mom would give them to me. The tighter the curl the better. lol
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

Come to mama, boys!! :love:

Driftincopy.jpg

:laugh:

OMG, Shawn and David Cassidy :heart: :heart: :heart: