Morning Weight

Options
Any science behind why I weigh more right when I wake up then I do after my morning shower or walking around for a little bit? I've notice other people mention this too!

Replies

• dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They say to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you have anything in your system.. I'm always less compared to later at night. Are you eating right before bed? And are you getting enough sleep?
  • prettyinpink117
    prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do weigh more at night. But what I'm saying is... I wake up, weigh myself and then take a shower and weigh myself again and it's magically lighter then it was 15 minutes ago. It's weird :\
  • dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. maybe a problem with the scale?
  • teressaholman
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. Don't think it's a scale issue, since there are so many people who have this question. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, after I've used the bathroom, but before I've eaten. And sometimes, if I check back in 10-15 minutes, I am indeed lighter. Not by a ton, maybe just a half pound to a pound. I've noticed too, that I sometimes "feel" heavier when I first roll out of bed, than I do after moving around a bit. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find something somewhat reliable online...
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just adding to "My Topics" this happens to me, too. Curious to know what you find out
  • teressaholman
    Options
    The only thing I've come across is that maybe it has something to do with eating too late at night? When you wake up in the morning, that evening snack hasn't had time to work it's way through your system, and out of the body. Part of it has, but not all of it. Of course, if you're not using the bathroom again between your first and second morning weigh-ins then this info probably isn't much help. Not sure how you physically "feel" in the morning before that first weigh in, but as I mentioned, sometimes I actually "feel" heavier, more lethargic. I'm wondering if there is some sort of connection there, like lack of sleep? I know if you get less than 7 hours of sleep a night, it supposedly slows your metabolism drastically. Maybe that extra 15-30 minutes of moving around in the morning (showering, etc.) is just enough to get things moving again? I was surprised actually to not find some better information out there. If any of you do, please post because this is very interesting. And apparently more common than we realized.
  • gardenmama
    Options
    I always pee a ton first thing, then a little while later I pee again even though I haven't had anything to drink. Once you are up and moving, your systems begin to flush, that's why you weigh a bit less. I'd bet you pee in the shower and that's where the extra weight goes!
  • teressaholman
    Options
    Perfect example... I woke up this morning, peed, stripped, stepped on the scale and weighed 173.6. Went back to bed for about an hour, laid there watching a movie. Got up again, barely peed a few drops, stripped, stepped on the scale again and BAM! 172.6! That's a whole pound difference.... crazy! A scientific explanation sure would be nice. Maybe I'll ask my doctor next time I'm in.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet its your scale.. I always weigh a 5lb dumbbell on the scale 2x before I weigh myself at all to make sure the scale knows its business time and not to mess with me. Try calibrating it with something that you know for sure weighs what it says (dumbbell, kettlebell, etc etc) before you step on and it usually eliminate confusion on the part of the scale.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe your posture is different after you've had time to stretch and wake up completely. I noticed that I weighed a few tenths of a pound less if I didn't turn the light on in the bathroom when I went in to weigh, evidently because I was leaning more forward on the balls of my feet to get a better view of the display. It doesn't matter whether or not the light is on (in daylight hours anyway) so long as I stand straight and look forward until the reading has had time to stabilize.