Need New Ab Workout

Options
I have been doing my AB routine for a while now - every Mon, Wed and Friday.
Not only am I bored with it, but I don't think that it's hard enough for me any more.
Can you guys please suggest some AB exercises.
I think I'm looking to get off the floor.
(And please don't tell me Ab Ripper X - I'd like to do it at they gym.)
Thanks!!!
Stephanie

Replies

• IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Which AB workout have you been doing? Or have you just been doing your own?
  • erin_kercheval
    erin_kercheval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you would do this at the gym or not, but I kind of like this one from Self.com:

http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2010/12/get-slim-without-the-gym-slideshow#slide=5

Do you already use Stability balls/medicine balls/BOSU/ to add variety (if your gym has these available)?
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I like to use the stability ball - a) back on the ball, feet on the floor doing crunches you can get up higher than lying on the floor b) lie on the floor, knees bent, body in V (back off the floor), hold the stability ball and alternate quickly touching the ball to the ground from side to side, c) you can also do something similar standing moving the ball from side to side keeping your body facing forward d) planks are awesome, if you are getting good then try lifting one foot e) side planks - one arm on the ground, one foot on top of the other
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone have an AB routine? It's a muscle that doesn't need any more work than any other muscle. The ABs get tons of work doing other exercises so you only need one or two specific exercise per week. Weighted crunches (I do them seating down on a cable machine or use bands while sitting), trunk curls, reverse trun curls, weighted oblique crunches, are some of the better exercises. Careful with exhausted abs. You don't want to pop a hernia because they are too tired to provide strength.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    fitness magazine is a great source for free workouts, etc. I believe it's www.fitnessmag.com. Good luck!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone have an AB routine? It's a muscle that doesn't need any more work than any other muscle. The ABs get tons of work doing other exercises so you only need one or two specific exercise per week. Weighted crunches (I do them seating down on a cable machine or use bands while sitting), trunk curls, reverse trun curls, weighted oblique crunches, are some of the better exercises. Careful with exhausted abs. You don't want to pop a hernia because they are too tired to provide strength.

I am working my abs like I do every other muscle group that I work out.
    I focus on them a little more to provide some core strength to help with my other lifting.

Do you think it's better to do them every day? And what I mean by that is in attition to my leg, back, chest, arm, etc. work outs? Or 2-3 times a week.

Or doesn't it matter?

What I have been doing is this:
    1/2 hour elliptical
    mon - wed - friday about 20 minutes of abs - crunches, planks, bicycles, supermans, boats, ect.. all floor work.
    then my work out for the day legs, chest, back, etc.

Am I doing this wrong? And if so - how should I be incorporating ABs into my weekly work out?
  • newf_99
    newf_99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to concentrate on Oblique training ! While doing this you work out all of your abs.
    Plus I do alot of lower abs, this also works out your entire mid section as the lower abs are harder to get, with your body storing fat in this section to protect the bodys sexual organs.

Just dont use heavy weights while training your abs!, I see people that use lots of weight, when all they are doing is making there belly bulge out , these are called pot-belly abs(like WWE restlers), the way to train is to go light and high reps!

Go at least 3 days a week, I try about 5, or try and do a little each day !

Cheers & happy working out
  • fattymcgoo
    Options
    I've been doing this set of exercises for a couple of weeks with good results. I like that it offers modification to make it harder or easier for you, and it wouldn't look too weird to do it at the gym :)

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/get-rock-solid-abs

I wouldn't work abs every day! give at least one day between ab workouts for your muscles to rebuild and repair before you go at them again.

oh, and if you're open to it, Pilates can give you an awesome core/ab workout.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? There are some good free apps out there for 10 - 15 minute ab workouts:
    1) Ab Workout
    1) Nike Training Club

I just bring my phone with me to the gym and do the workouts there. But, you could do them at home too.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    You could try using a BOSU. Crunches, planks, and side planks reach a whole new level!
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    for anyone else that bumped this, I found this on bodybuilding.com

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/fit_scientist/2009/11/22/ab-workout-how-often/

I'm going to try Shannon Clark's Ab Wrokout and see how that goes.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me doing...

- 3 sets of 20 crunches on the weighted crunch machine at 50 lbs.
    - 3 sets of 20 crunches on the regular crunch thing (you lay down and you just push on the bars to crunch?) but I've increased to 25 each
    - The one where you are higher up and hold onto two bars with you arms in an "L" and you pull your knees to your chest. 2 sets of 10 of those, then side to side 2 sets of 8 each side.

I also do 20 or so crunches laying on an exercise ball with it different parts of my back, i.e.: lower back, middle back, and so I'm barely sitting on it. Also, regular crunches holding a 10 lb. weighted ball, scissor kicks... I think that's it.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    here's another good like - you can print out the would outs. If you don't know what the move is, you can click on the blue link and it will show you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-core-training-guide.htm