more realistic BMI style calulator- link included

Options
what do you guys think of this??
generous or genius?

"For years, people looked up their weight on tables drawn from insurance company statistics. While those are still around, this is a newer, more accurate way to calculate what is truly a healthy weight range for you."

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like this one MUCH better! I always felt that someone my height and build would look too skinny at even 140lbs, let alone 115 (the low end of "normal" for my height). This one says I should be at 152-167 and my goal for now is 165. I love that it takes body type into account, that makes a world of difference to me.
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    NIce post - thanks for that - I think that BMI can be described as a very blunt brute force tool, for me to get to my healthy BMI I would have to go down to about 160 lbs which I think would make me look ill. Plus I would struggle to maintain it. I had aimed for about 200 lbs which was in the range this calculator gave me which seems more reasonable to me.

I am sure I read somewhere that the ideal BMIs were based on elite atheletes which I am not !

In the end I will rely on body fat % and get to a healthy range rather than weight alone.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Me as well!
    i was recommended 140 to and i would look like a disney witch at that weight! the one i posted recommended same as you, my goal is now at 165 also :)

at least you can always chose to lose more if your not happy when you get there rather than essentially copping out!
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    my finger over lapped my thumb , so it looks like i have a small frame , and loads of bloody weight to lose lol

Ideal weight range is 108 - 118.8 lbs. (49.1 - 54 kg.).
    You are overweight by 14.2 lbs. (6 kg.).
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    This is much more realistic for me and my weight goal however I was suprised that it would describe me as medium framed, sure my wrists are thin but my shoulders are like a rugby players.
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love that it takes body type into account, that makes a world of difference to me.

It sure does! Even at my skinniest (148lbs) I had big hips, but I felt sick, and just looked weird (small body, big head and hips). This tells me that my ideal weight is 158-173lbs. I actually wanted to go down to 155.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    my finger over lapped my thumb , so it looks like i have a small frame , and loads of bloody weight to lose lol

Ideal weight range is 108 - 118.8 lbs. (49.1 - 54 kg.).
    You are overweight by 14.2 lbs. (6 kg.).

lol silly me i think i put the wrong height in

Ideal weight range is 114 - 125.4 lbs. (51.8 - 57 kg.).
    You are marginally overweight by 7.6 lbs. (3 kg.).

phew that's better the weight i'm actually aiming for :laugh:
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I always knew that I would need to be at the top range of the normal BMI range. I'm 5'10" and have a very large frame. My goal weight was already set at 175 which is actually one pound under the range they give for me which is 176-193. I have pictures of myself at 220 where I wear a size 16-18 and I feel like I look pretty good. I've always been a big, tall girl. Starving myself to 139 like some calculators recommend would never work for me.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    It says my ideal weight is 148 to 162, which I'm aiming for 150-155 so that seems reasonable to me. I was told 140 was ideal for me previously.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I also think that it is fairly accurate. Even though I am only 5'4", I have a large frame (my fingertips are almost a full inch apart on the wrist measuring). If I were to get below 135, I start to look sickly (I was a size 2 at 135). For my age (almost 50), i would be very comfortable with 145!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I think it's generous. My fingers overlap so according to the site I have a small frame but I believe I have a medium frame. I can't wear petite size clothes and if I stand next to someone who truly does have a small frame, I look huge. It would be better if the site allowed you to enter actual wrist & ankle measurements.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Mine came up as within my ideal range of 150-165. But it does say at the bottom that its based on BMI and my BMI is 22.6 so....
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's generous. My fingers overlap so according to the site I have a small frame but I believe I have a medium frame. I can't wear petite size clothes and if I stand next to someone who truly does have a small frame, I look huge. It would be better if the site allowed you to enter actual wrist & ankle measurements.

I think so too, I have long fingers and small wrists lol which put me in the small frame, as a 5ft 9.5 female with good old child bearing hips I think I'm more of a medium too! But a medium frame gives m the range 160-176 and says I'm under weight, so I'll stick with the small frame lol
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Hmmmm....I have a small frame, based on the wrist test? I always thought I was more of a medium framed gal :smile: So, I should weigh 150-165 (I'm 5'9"). I weigh about 135, so I am underweight...but I am really muscular, and also have linebacker sized shoulders and freakishly long arms(wing span is 5'11") With the BMI chart, I can weigh from 125-165, so not underweight using that. So, I am confused....I don't think I look underweight at all:embarassed:
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    im sure your not underweight at all!

its all personal opinion. i think these numbers would suit by frame more, maybe an average of the two would be best.
    might try adding bmi and what this one says together and dividing by 2, see where i stand?!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight range is 124 - 136.4 lbs. (56.4 - 62 kg.).
    You are overweight by 29.6 lbs. (13 kg.). < using medium frame

Ideal weight range is 134 - 147.4 lbs. (60.9 - 67 kg.).
    You are overweight by 18.6 lbs. (8 kg.). < using large frame

well, the top end of the medium frame calculation and the lower end of the large frame calculation overlap so i guess its pretty accurate lol
  • DancingYogini
    Options

I think so too, I have long fingers and small wrists lol which put me in the small frame, as a 5ft 9.5 female with good old child bearing hips I think I'm more of a medium too! But a medium frame gives m the range 160-176 and says I'm under weight, so I'll stick with the small frame lol

^^^this!! If I am next to a truly small framed person, I look large. I have "piano player" fingers...really long. My wrist normally measures 6" around, which on some calculators puts me at almost a large frame. I also have wide hips. But being a medium frame, per this site, puts me in a really underweight category. So I don't think this calculator is quite accurate:smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly appreciate the fact that it thinks I am only overweight by 3.2 pounds but the fat around my stomach and thighs sings a different tune :laugh:

Ideal weight range is 148 - 162.8 lbs. (67.3 - 74 kg.).
    You are marginally overweight by 3.2 lbs. (1 kg.)
  • chelvid
    chelvid Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of working out what frame you have but not sure fingers round the wrist is very accurate as mine says small frame which I disagree with but I would say I had long fingers lol