starvation mode?

Options
if your body really does go in to starvation mode with too few calories, then how come people who are anorexic are too skinny???? and even when i do weight watchers, my points leave me under 1200 calories, but i always lose weight. i guess i'm just upset because i'm not losing and even though i may have gone over a few days on my calories this past week, i know it's way less than i've eaten in the past. it just makes me want to starve myself........

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It takes along time for your body to go into starvation mode,I wouldnt worry about this
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a complex topic that depends on a lot of different factors, chemicals, and conditions. Starvation mode does NOT preclude losing weight, it changes some of the priorities our bodies have on what types of calories to burn first, how it stores fat, what it should do with dormant and under used muscle mass, and whether or not it has enough calories to perform at 100%. Without going into detail, anorexia is something else, or I should say, it's the ultimate in extreme starvation mode. In other words the light to moderate starvation mode usually presented on sites like MFP will hinder you, and could cause long term body issues if you let it continue for long enough, but people who eat nothing or next to nothing like an anorexic see far bigger issues far faster.