High intensity interval training for all ages and weights.

Options
Newfiedan
Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
I wanted to post this for the people on here who get intimidated by the very words "high intensity interval training" and I also hear quite frequently that they can not do it due to their weight or age. Now here is what I say to them, do not be scared, do not run from it. The basics are where you start from and build upon from there. The benefits are huge as its a very time effective workout meaning you do not need to work out in a gym for hours on end. Here are the basics;

1) Warm up, stretch and get loosened up.
2) Start off at your usual pace for walking, if you are not a walker then do a light jog, or if you are wheel chair bound then wheel along at the usual pace.
3) Ramp up the pace until you are breathing hard, push yourself out of that comfort zone for 30 seconds. If you can not push that hard then do it for as long as you can. Now I do not mean huffing puffing and dying here, I mean so that its a pace you can not maintain for more than 30 seconds.
4) Back off and allow yourself to get back to just above a comfortable pace again you should be able to breath through your nose in deep controlled breaths.
5) Repeat for as long as you can maintain it but try to not exceed 1 hr max.

That is it. No more, no less. Once the walking is no longer a challenge switch to jogging, once jogging is no longer a challenge then move to running and so on and so forth. The idea is to just get going and get started and cut out the excuses, take a good hard look in the mirror and say today is the day to get started.

Replies

• 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    great post :D
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but I am seeing more and more articles about it and folks who are loving it :) I like how it something that you can adapt to your own fitness level and do in as little as 20-30 minutes.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!

I've been wondering how to start doing this. I tried C25K and I injured my knee on day 1 and have been too scared to push myself too hard. This is a great way to work my way up to kicking my own booty.

THANK YOU!!!!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Brilliant advice..and yes I fit the remit of terrified I was too fat/old to work out like this..but I walk...and I do exactly as you suggest...at first I did it just to see if I could...I could..so now I try to increase it each time I walk....yesterday I actually managed a few jogging spells....a real breakthrough for me..and LOL I actually enjoyed it....boy though my ankles are stiff today..so this mornings walk was a wee bit slower!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started interval training on my treadmill (that's what my treadmill calls it), but I'm not sure if it qualifies as "high intensity." The treadmill goes through the warm-up, then for 40 minutes it goes between 90 seconds at 2.5mph and 30 seconds at 5.0 mph. I know a lot of people here WALK at 5.0, but that is a run for me. By the end of every 30 seconds I'm like "it better stop soon, or I'm gonna eat it here!" I think the 5.0 is fine for me, in terms of the running part. At first the 2.5 mph is a bit slow, but then by the middle of the workout I'm grateful for the 90 second reprieve. My goal is to keep upping both the "slow" speed and the "fast" speed, but I think this is working.

Something I find really odd though, is that it says I burn the same amount of calories as doing this as 40 minutes of walking at 3.0. Going by the HRM built in to the machine. I won't stop doing it anyway, because I love the sweat it gives me, and feeling out of breath. And, I have to admit, I kind of feel like a bad *kitten*.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor, I can burn up to 800 cals in 40 mins, but the cal burn is not the goal here its to get the heart rate cycling, the body responds with; !?!!!? what the hell make up your mind response and therefore cranks up the heart rate across the board. More importantly and the reason it is so effective is that it evokes a strong metabolic response as the body is now is a state where it has to be ready to go into high gear at a moments notice, the more often you do it the greater the benefits to a max of 4 times a week. The benefits can last for up to several hours post workout sometimes even as long as 24-32 hours after. Once you no longer find HIIT working switch to metabolic resistance training which benefits last even longer as well as positive muscle growth and benefits lasting up to 48 hours post workout.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor, I can burn up to 800 cals in 40 mins, but the cal burn is not the goal here its to get the heart rate cycling, the body responds with; !?!!!? what the hell make up your mind response and therefore cranks up the heart rate across the board. More importantly and the reason it is so effective is that it evokes a strong metabolic response as the body is now is a state where it has to be ready to go into high gear at a moments notice, the more often you do it the greater the benefits to a max of 4 times a week. The benefits can last for up to several hours post workout sometimes even as long as 24-32 hours after. Once you no longer find HIIT working switch to metabolic resistance training which benefits last even longer as well as positive muscle growth and benefits lasting up to 48 hours post workout.

LOL, now you have to explain metabolic resistance training!

I can imagine that effects of doing the interval training last for at least several hours--I felt kind of keyed up until 1am last night. And I swore as I lay in bed trying to sleep that my heart rate didn't feel like it was at resting.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of this and I can say that for getting fit it is really good, but try not to do the sessions in consecutive days as you will burn out really quickly.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    metabolic resistance training or MRT, is basically cardio with weights in it simplest form. The kettlebell workouts use this idea and you can modify them to use dumbbells instead. Here is my routine now.
    1) Dumbbell swings using 50-70 pounds, (Go lighter when you are starting out 20-25 if you are not used to it)
    3 sets of 15 swings.
    2) Dumbbell thrusts (commonly called tabata thrusts) I do 2 sets of 15 with the same weight.
    3) Snatches doing it with 30-40 pounds. 2 sets with 30 pounds at the moment
    4) Plank to pushup position 1 set of 30
    5) Pushups 2 sets of 15 trying to launch myself off the floor at the peak
    6) dips 2 sets of 30 unassisted (use assist if you are starting out)
    7) pull ups 2 sets of 15, I need assistance on this so use a chair or counterweight.

Now I do a 30 second break in between these to drink water and get back down to a resting hr. But the set is intended to raise my hr to near max each time. I do not recommend it for a beginner until you learn proper form and learn proper use of weights. You can easily hurt yourself if you are not careful. I also modify it once a week to keep the body guessing. Overall workout time is 40-50 mins 3 times a week so far, may go 4 if I feel up to it.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I do quite a bit of this and I can say that for getting fit it is really good, but try not to do the sessions in consecutive days as you will burn out really quickly.
    yes do it every 2nd day listen to the body if you are dragged out then take it slower.
  • shawntraceygerald
    shawntraceygerald Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is an awsome explanation and does not "scare" women! when i first heard of circuit training or interval training i paniced but it is not as scary when i began it!
  • maryh1974
    maryh1974 Posts: 41
    Options
    I will give this a try,I use to do this when I was on body for life and it was really cool , with good music and a friend it's awesome..anything to get healthy :)
    you should make a website and post all these great tips , it would be easier to find and we could bookmark it for easy finding:)
    Thank you so much for caring and helping..
  • shawntraceygerald
    shawntraceygerald Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey how much and where do i get one of those heart rate things????
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Like another poster I do intervals on the elliptical (incline 4, resistance 1 alternating with incline 10, resistance 8), but the intervals are longer than what you have posted (90-120 seconds each). What is more critical, the intensity of the intervals or the length of the intervals? My workout length is 45 minutes.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    hey how much and where do i get one of those heart rate things????

You can get them from E-bay quite cheap it depends on how far you want to take it as to how much you spend same with anything really, Polar do some pretty good ones
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    yes polar hrms are good ones, and usually under 100 bucks.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Like another poster I do intervals on the elliptical (incline 4, resistance 1 alternating with incline 10, resistance 8), but the intervals are longer than what you have posted (90-120 seconds each). What is more critical, the intensity of the intervals or the length of the intervals? My workout length is 45 minutes.
    For the beginner 30 seconds is lots for the advanced 90-120 seconds is good. I go for as hard and as long as I can push it, depending on the day that can last up to 200 seconds. I vary it up though ranging from 30 to 200 seconds, but I am slowly moving away from HIIT and into MRT. I like the MRT because I am more of a weight than cardio oriented person but I still run for the cardio side of it and I have come to enjoy it.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For the beginner 30 seconds is lots for the advanced 90-120 seconds is good. I go for as hard and as long as I can push it, depending on the day that can last up to 200 seconds. I vary it up though ranging from 30 to 200 seconds, but I am slowly moving away from HIIT and into MRT. I like the MRT because I am more of a weight than cardio oriented person but I still run for the cardio side of it and I have come to enjoy it.

Ha! I consider myself a beginner still. But I guess I’ve been doing okay :-)
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Ha! I consider myself a beginner still. But I guess I’ve been doing okay :-)
    you would be surprised how fast your cardio improves on this program.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So if I'm doing 30 mins on my treadclimber. I'm doing 3.0 to start (warmup) and after my first 5 mins, I crank it to 3.5 for 5 mins, then back to 3.2 for 5 mins, then back up to 3.5 for 5?

Is five minutes too long? I can get 5 mins at 3.5, but I'm getting close to getting out of control. From 3.0-3.2 my avg HR is 164-166 bpm. At 3.5 mph it goes between 171-177. Usually first minute is 171, then goes up to 174/177..

My treadclimber has a max speed of 4.0 mph.. It doesn't have a set pattern for going up and down speed wise. I have to move it manually. That is part of why I have been leaving it for 5 minutes at a time.

Would it be easier just to buy a treadmill that does all that?

Opinions? Thoughts?