alone in a new city!

danam531
danam531 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
anyone else out there recently relocated? I'm in a new city and I don't know anyone. Having a hard time staying motivated and not going home and vegging out on the couch. How do you stay motivated with no one but yourself to push you?

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Not recently...but I am def used to relocating! lol Do you play any sports??? The first thing I did when I moved was looked into some of the rec leagues in my area :) It got me motivated to get out, and was lots of fun!! Maybe sign up for a class at the gym as well
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Well firstly we can all motivate you!! :) Also i think joining a gym is a great way to meet people, and will keep you motivated!
  • dwithd
    dwithd Posts: 7
    Join a gym, I moved five years ago and that was my way to keep my sanity while staying in shape. If you live in an apartment building ask people what they do for fun, you will be surprised with how many invites to activities you will get. If you join agym make sure it offers classes where you can meet new people, it's easier to keep going to the gym if you are looking forward to chit chat with new friends...Good luck!!!!
  • No matter what your day job or career is, I have found it helpful both times I've moved to a new city alone, to take a waitressing job. It gets you out of the house in the evenings, helps you meet people and you'd be surprised how much all the moving helps keep the weight down. Find a unique, fun place to work, not a chain. Good luck!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    No matter what your day job or career is, I have found it helpful both times I've moved to a new city alone, to take a waitressing job. It gets you out of the house in the evenings, helps you meet people and you'd be surprised how much all the moving helps keep the weight down. Find a unique, fun place to work, not a chain. Good luck!

what a cool idea!
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    I moved a year ago to Chicago and didn't know a soul. Outside of work, I found that the best way to meet people and stay active was to join local classes. I started taking an African Dance class (talk about active!) as well as a pottery class. I also am active in a civic organization that allows me to meet new people all of the time, but it's great for getting recommendations on places to work out, eat out (healthy) and for support
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    How do you stay motivated with no one but yourself to push you?

Why do you need someone else to take control of your motivation?

Just do it.
  • danam531
    danam531 Posts: 2 Member
    thanks everybody! appreciate all the advice :) good luck to all of you
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    I'll tell you.... we've just become friends, so I'll be there to remind you. One other thing... close your eyes and envision yourself as you want to be and hold on to that picture and how it made you feel. Everytime you feel yourself slipping, go back to that picture and how it made you feel. I hope this helps you like it helps me.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    I use my friends on MFP. I watch what they are doing, and try and keep up with them. I watch the food they are eating, I train to keep up with them as though they are training partners, and I get inspiration from the different kinds of activities that they are doing.

Use this site to your advantage! Surround yourself with friends who will cheer you on and help drag you out the door, and who aren't afraid to tell you to lift your game when you need it. And log on every day to get the inspiration!
This discussion has been closed.