Potatoes & Gravy or Cole Slaw?

Options
I love good Cole Slaw & there is a KFC near my home. I thought a side of slaw might make a nice healthy snack and so looked up KFC's nutrition. A thorough .pdf can be had here:

http://www.kfc.com/Nutrition

Here's what I discovered:
Slaw: C:180 F:10 Carb:20 Prot:1
P&G: C:120 F:04 Carb:19 Prot:2

Quite Surprising? I would have thought Cole Slaw, being raw cabbage & carrots with dressing would out-health mashed potatoes & gravy! Mashed potatoes & gravy?!? C'mon . . .

The Numbers Don't Lie as it's said & it's of course true!

The only category that Mashed Potatoes & Gravy really beat Cole Slaw up in was Sodium, with 530 to slaw's 150.

Proves once again that doin' our homework is essential.

I think I'll have some grapes . . . :>)
gyps

Replies

• Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    make your own
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    good thing i hate kfc!! lol i agree homemade would be better for u
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There goes eveng thinking about trying to eat both. LOL. I thought I read that some barbeque sandwich is the best thing on the menu to eat.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Beware of the salad with creamy dressing LOL
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    agreed, hommade slaw is delicious and can be healthy. If i ever go to a fast food restaurant I never expect to get healthy food.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Not a KFC fan... but there is something to be said for some good ol' fashion mashed potatoes and gravy and a 'lean' side of beef!

On the other hand, grapes? loads of sugar... and I struggle with keeping my sugar intake down so grapes are no longer on my 'can eat' list...especially if it's days when I need a chocolate fix. LOL
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Although, at least with the slaw you are getting some fiber and antioxidants from the cabbage and carrots. I am pretty sure their mashed potatoes are just reconstituted potato flakes and glue, lol.
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I learned long ago that nothing really health-enhancing comes out of a window :>) We know what goes into what we make, esp if we cook with whole foods --which is of course first best-- it takes commitment cuz of the time factor but home-cooked with organic whole foods is the highest best!

gyps
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's the dressing that kills the cole slaw in a diet! Even with home made (which I make all the time), the dressing is loaded with calories, which out weighs the benefits of the cabbage. I allow myself a small portion of anything home made, as a girl has to live a little, ya know? I just take less.

I love MFP for the specific purpose of making food decisions. I've logged in, undecided about what to snack on or trying to decide if I have enough calories left for a glass of wine, and MFP has provided the information I need to make a decision. Definitely worth doing the home work on,

I'm going out tonight with the girls and I've already decided what I'm eating because I've used MFP to research my options. Helps a TON!!
  • GypsyRoaddog
    Options
    I'm going out tonight with the girls and I've already decided what I'm eating because I've used MFP to research my options. Helps a TON!!

What a great thing to do. Rather than looking at a menu, distracted by the pix meant to tempt, You have your game plan in place. Excellent choice!
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Try Colcannon, cabbage and potatoes mixed. Amazingly good: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/red_potato_colcannon.html
    I used nonfat milk and substituted a bit of olive oil for the butter.

Also saw this one which I might try next: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/colcannon.html
  • GypsyRoaddog
    Options
    Me, I like the looks of the second recipe more than the first. More add-flavor ingredients: herbs & spices. The nutritional profile looks better too, and esp important for me is the potassium, mine is high right now tho' not real bad -- still; doc told me to watch my potassium intake so I am practicing awareness in that area.

The second recipe = Ctrl+D Thanks for the share :>)
    gyps
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Well if the first recipe is good then I think the second maybe even better! I made the first recipe for Saint Pats for my son who had the puking flu and it was a good comfort food. He wanted to know if I eat alot of potatoes on my diet? Silly man I said; I made them for especially for you.
  • GypsyRoaddog
    Options
    I love your terminology *puking flu* -- Having raised 4 daughters I know full well what that means in the 3D !!! And the *especially for you* rings strong in me as well. How many meals did I make *especially for them*, collectively & individually ... My youngest, now 23, still asks for an old favorite or 2 from time to time when I am at her place . . .

Let me know how the second recipe turns out if You make it first. :>)

gyps