Good After Workout Drink

Options
cthomps
cthomps Posts: 31 Member
I think I need to find a good after workout drink. I am doing harder - more intense workouts and some days I can hardly move I get so sore and stiff - Any suggestions? I haven't tried any so this is totally new to me and want something I won't have to choke down.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

Replies

• getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I would like to find this out too.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There are specific shake that you can buy that are sold as "recovery drinks" I know some people just drink chocolate milk after a workout. It is a good balance of protein and carbs to replace your energy and help your muscles.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Whey protein. I eat Clif builder protein bars. They're 20g of protein so about the same as a protein shake and they taste SO much better. The chocolate mint, lemon, and peanut butter are my favorites. They're usually about $2 each or I buy the peanut butter box of 6 for a little over $7, so you're saving a lot of money by doing it that way. I found them first at Whole Foods for $1.24 each but never am over there so I get mine at Target.

You could also do whey protein shakes...any will do as long as it doesn't have any fake sugar in it and is low in calories (should be around 130-150). I used Pure Protein when I was doing shakes but got tired of the taste. They're easily customizable but after about 3 months straight of them, I tired. That's why I use the bars now. I can eat them on my way back from the gym, get in the shower immediately and then get started on lunch when I get out. It's so much easier than mixing and blending and all that stuff with the shakes.
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    try going to Prosource.NET you can research by 'Best in Class' by 'Best Value', "most popular". They also do reviews about the products.

Good luck,
    scott
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I love my EAS vanilla whey protein in skim milk, it tastes just like melted vanilla ice cream!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk as recovery drink, here is a link to why.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5373755_drink-chocolate-milk-after-workout.html

American College of Sports Medicine recommends taking in a serving of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of a strenuous workout. Chocolate milk contains these carbohydrates and mainly in the form of sugar which is also critical to muscle recovery. Spiked insulin levels that result from the intake of sugar help force glucose into the muscles, which hastens muscle repair.

Cow's milk is comprised of roughly 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein. Tired muscles readily eat up the amino acids in whey protein while the casein protein is digested more slowly and remains available to your muscles for hours after your workout.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 1% chocolate milk, too. But, I am still feeling ongoing, lingering soreness for a couple days after each workout. Maybe I’m not drinking it soon enough based on the information posted above. I have yet to taste any protein powder that didn’t taste like a lab experiment gone wrong.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Having a protein drink after a workout isn't a cure-all for preventing sore muscles. You probably need to stretch more in the days after and don't be afraid to workout out those sore muscles again, it's the only way to truly get rid of the soreness.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    WATER!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein drink after I workout everyday.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water, you can not beat it. I drink BCAA's during my workout but i swear the only reason i feel good afterwards is cause i drink over a gallon of water a day
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great info!! I drink tons of water and am still going strong with the workouts even though I am sore. I have been adding in extra stretching time in several times a day when ever I can sneak it in to try to keep everything moving and stretched out . Part of the problem is I sit all day at work and get stiff.
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I always finish each workout with a protein shake made w/20g whey protein, 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/3 package of yoplait smoothie mix (its about 260 cal and 31g protein!)

I also drink at least 3-4L of water, but should up that as well.... I too sit all day and tend to get more upper body soreness, but LOTS of water does help!!!!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I drink Whey Protein Shakes. They are designed to help build your muscles back. If after a really hard workout I will drink it with milk. I even drink one before to give you the fast energy you need.

If not available I will get a glass of chocolate milk.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Muscle milk is the only shake that doesn't taste like crap IMO. Everybody knocks it but I've gotten prodigious results. And creatine and a ton of water will aid in recovery.

Find what works best for you. Experiment with the things people have said here and do some research indipendenly. We all have opinons. My diet might make others gain or lose too much, but it works great for me. Bodybuilding.com has the best prices on anything supplement related so check their store out.
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    I mentioned doing the research on Prosource.net earlier, or any website. But also look into other products beyound just the post-workout drink.

- Multi-vitamens (that include anti-inflamatory or joint wellness)
    + i use USANA (twice daily)
    - Joint wellness
    - BCAA
    - post-workout recovery drink

I also will go swimming when i'm feeling really broken up.

scott
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk as recovery drink, here is a link to why.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5373755_drink-chocolate-milk-after-workout.html

American College of Sports Medicine recommends taking in a serving of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of a strenuous workout. Chocolate milk contains these carbohydrates and mainly in the form of sugar which is also critical to muscle recovery. Spiked insulin levels that result from the intake of sugar help force glucose into the muscles, which hastens muscle repair.

Cow's milk is comprised of roughly 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein. Tired muscles readily eat up the amino acids in whey protein while the casein protein is digested more slowly and remains available to your muscles for hours after your workout.

but what about the sugar limit set by MFP? Do you just ignore it? I tend to go over mine just from fruit etc b/c it's set to 24g per day for me and goes up to 35 after a signicant work out and chocolate milk can have anywhere from 28 to 41 g of sugar per serving.

Advice appreciated thanks!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    hands down the best recovery drink is 1% choc milk. Now I know you may laugh but here is the science behind it and I have tried it myself and it works. Choc milk has sugar in it yes but it does not go to the fat stores the reason being that it will replenish the glycogen in the muscles but further to that it has casein protein in it, which repairs the muscles and it is absorbed rapidly by the muscles. I folllow that up with a good whey protein shake 15 mins later. The results speak for themselves. I can workout twice as much push harder and longer than before and I feel much more energized post workout. I do not really look at fruit as sugar intake, the idea is to get rid of refined sugars as much as possible so going over on sugar with fruit means squat to me so long as the cals are there and accounted for.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i dont know about stuff to drink after but if you take a few minutes to sit in the sauna or steam room it will help the soreness go away.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I put 3-4 frozen strawberries with one cup of fat free milk and 1/2 scoop of Jay Robb Whey protein in a blender yummy!!!!