How long?

Options
I had a bad weekend of poor self control. Binged for the first time since the beginning of the year. When I weighed tis morning, the scale was WAY up. I entered my weight and had to watch my ticker go from 21 pounds lost to 15 pounds lost. :brokenheart:

How long do you think it will take to get back to where I was??

I know I did not gain that much in actual fat. That would have meant that I had to eat 21,000 cals over my daily allowance. I know I did not binge THAT hard. Anyway....just wondering how long til I am back to where I was. Feeling like a fool! :frown:

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess I would assume it will take you about a month to get back to where you were (assuming my math is right). That's okay!!! We all get de-railed a some point on our weight loss journey. I was on a plateau for an entire year until I decided to get serious again!! It just depends on your own personal resolve and will power ... and how much you actually want to lose the weight. :) You can do it!!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    OMG, am MONTH to make up for three days of indescretion??? Now I REALLY feel like a fool! :sad:
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think it might be about two weeks because most of what you gained is probably water. Drink lots and lots and lots of water now to flush out your system and that will help a lot.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It really depends how bad it actually was (the binge I mean). To have actually gained 6lbs you would have had to over eat by a total of 21,000 calories (or roughly 3000 calories per day). If you did this, how much you lose/when you will lose it will be about the same rate as before. If you didn't do that badly, a good couple of pounds of it is water and waste (sodium= water retention, processed food= build up of waste because your body isnt as used to processing these). It's kind of just a wait and see process for now.

And don't lose heart- it didnt go back to 0. Two steps forward and 1 step back is still 1 step ahead of square one (I love to mix my metaphors)
  • marathonmama08
    Options
    This is completely normal...get back on track...if you get right back on track I would say about a 7-=10 days TOPS....it is mostly water weight. Keep at it!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Get back on track drink plenty of water , i think a week or 2 you will be back where you were, well done for loging your weight and NOT giving up!!!

Also just a thought, are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    OMG i did the same thing i had lost 19.2 Had a horrid day on friday and my internal miss pac man came out and boy did i munch munch munch through my weekend!!!

This morning (I did not officially record it as i do that on friday) I WAS UP 4 POUNDS!!!

My munching consisted of mostly good food but i did eat a whack load of it like 3 SUSHI ROLLs etc (Im more of a food girl than a junk girl... always *mostly* eaten healthy it is just my portion control is WAY OFF)

So im hoping it is just water retention from all the salt but we shall see where i am at this friday!!!!

I swear im insane lol how that saying go Definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results? DAMN U WEEKENDS u are my down fall!!!! I mush conquor you and stay on the band wagon....
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    Well, how much salt did you consume? I have heard that it can make you retain water. Was Chinese food in that binge? MSG. Drink water- flush your system, work your butt off, literally, and learn from it. Also the time of day you weigh yourself, the time of month (know what I mean?) and the type of clothes you wore while being weighed (night gown or blue jeans?) make a difference. This may be a bunch of things come together at a bad time for you- things that might have happened anyway and you blame the binge completely. Just forgive yourself, and remember how this feels. When it comes to food, I will quote Dr. Phil, "Seconds on the lips; Years on the hips!!" Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse and take a weighing yourself break until Thursday morning. You may be very surprised to see everything self-correcting itself.
  • zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!! I really messed up in the past... 40 pounds lost and 40 pounds ALL GAINED BACK. I have been around the block a few times and know that it is about ten times harder to lose weight than to gain it lol. I use this as my guide and my will to continue on my weight loss journey. So far it's inspired me to stay on course. Never again will I gain 40 pounds back. It took me a year to lose 40 pounds the first time and now it's been over two years to lose 40 pounds the second round of weight loss. So I figure if it took me double the effort losing weight the second round, if I gain it all back and have to lose it all again it will take 4 years to do so LOL! This is the trap we fall into... the binging and yoyo dieting. Maintenance is almost as difficult as losing weight -- you have to keep constantly writing down the food that you're eating. I stopped writing down my food on maintenance and that's how I gained it all back in the first place.

Anyway sorry that was a long story... my point is this... I hope my story has inspired others to know that unfortunately binging does equal lots of time spent losing weight all over again. :( But this keeps me on track and keeps me motivated!! You can do anything you set your mind to!!! So far I am down 20 pounds from my original 40 pound gain. And I only have 20 more to go!!! I am excited for the new me and happy for my new life and having my healthy weight back. :) You'll get there!! Don't feel down. Feel empowered in yourself.

If you don't trust yourself to keep track and lose the weight it won't work. I went for so long binging/losing weight/binging/losing weight etc... for an entire year!!! Lost all trust in myself to lose weight. It made my confidence in my diet plummet. But now I'm back on track and have been doing excellent for two weeks in a row now. And more good weeks are coming my way. :D
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    Drinking alot of water is a good idea and will help flush "this weekend" out of your system. Honestly you could reach your preivous weight loss in a week or two depending on how much you work for it.

Eating healthier and working out an extra 5 minutes a day can help. Also, dont get discouraged because even people who lose weight fluctuate from day to day. This is exactly why you're not supposed to weight yourself but once or twice a week. I fall trap to weighing myself multiple times a day, but being in shape it doesnt discourage me. Throughout the day my weight fluctuates from 216 to 213 depending on what I ate/drank and how much I worked out that day.

My weekend weight is usually 221-218 and my week weight is typically 215-213. Hope this helps, and just continue to work at it and you'll be back before you know it.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Think back to what you lost in the first week of January and that will tell you roughly what you should shift in the coming week.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Get right back on the horse. Get the foods that trigger you out of the house. Go for nice walks or whatever you like to do for exercise. DON'T DWELL ON THE BINGE. That'll just stress you out and perhaps trigger another one.

Keep your head up. Dust yourself off. Move forward.

I've had plenty of binges in the 2 months doing MFP. I always end up at a lower weight a few days later. It's never lasting.
    I get right back on my program and try to get in some exercise and drink lots of water.
    I don't feel guilty about it anymore but I am trying to do this less and less.

Good Luck to you! Keep at it and don't sweat it. You'll be surprised at how fast it comes back off.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a question of how long. You know what you did "bad" and you know how to fix it. You're ok with a binge here or there, as long as you know where you went wrong, and realize that you're still able to rebound from a "bad" weekend. Have you done any exercise and diet routines in the past? How well have you done? Well, how about now? How long have you been going? And even with binges, you're doing great still. Don't get discouraged. Keep your head up and feet movin!