What's with the sore shins??

Options
I'm on Week 2, Day 2 of Couch 2 5k, and my shins are KILLING ME! I have good quality, fairly new running sneakers, but my shins start to THROB after about 10 minutes of jogging. Is there anything I can do to fix this situation?

Replies

• dianarae82
    Options
    Could be any number of things. Too much too soon. Not enough rest in between workouts. Your shoes might not be the best fit for your running form.

You should try alternating ice and heat on them. I do it for about 20 minues on each leg when mine act up. It helps. Also, google exercises for shin splints. A lot of them will tell you to spell out the alphabet with your toes, or something similar. And make sure to warm up really good before your workout, and stretch your calves REALLY good after. I stretch mine before and after but some folks will say not to stretch before a workout, just do a good warmup.
    I'd recommend going to a running speciality store that can observe your form and shoes. They should be able to help you out.

I struggled with shin splints for many many years so I understand the frustration. Good luck :)
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Try to take shorter strides but a quick cadence. That should keep you from heel striking too much. I'm a big believer in less is more when it comes to shoes. I think too much support and cushion is a cause of a lot of problems. Good luck!