Walking or Running

AngieMMc
AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I keep getting mixed messages on which is better for overall fitness and health....walking or running. I know running burns more calories (unless you are walking faster than 5 mph), but I am referring more to is more like which is better for you.... burning 300 calories walking or burning 300 calories running? I've read a lot of reports about the dangers of running (especially with this size body) on your joints. I don't necessarily seek to become a runner, I just want to be healthy and strong, but first and foremost I want to lose all this excess weight. What is the best way to achieve all of that??

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    I don't run anymore. I do 45 minutes on the treadmill everyday at a 3.5mph pace...this is after an hour on the elliptical. I am former military, and therefore, have bad knees and a bad back. Running puts stress on the joints and bones that I just can't deal with. You need to do what's comfortable and enjoyable for you. It doesn't matter, as long as you are getting the exercise in.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Do what's comfortable for your body. As long as you are enjoying it, then you'll keep doing it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    If burning the same amount of calories between the two, I would say walking is definitely better because it is non to low impact. Avid runners may disagree, but for the average person like me, aside from the rare occasion that I get the beloved runners high, I always feel MUCH better when walking due to less impact.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    My boyfriend is a scientist and always tells me that the human body is not designed to run. I think the benefits of walking are greater in the long wrong.
  • tlnester
    tlnester Posts: 34
    It is true that running is much more jarring on your body, however, in my opinion, interval training is the best burn. Try walking for 2 minutes, jogging for 3, back to walking, and so on. It gets your heart rate up and burns calories like mad. I do this interval training on my treadmill and even set it on incline for more of a challenge. It is especially great if you are new to running because it will build you up to a point where you can run/jog for longer periods of time without stopping. Best of luck, and whatever you do, walk or run, you are making you BETTER, good for you!!:)
  • Aprilbug
    Aprilbug Posts: 7
    No matter what you decided just keep moving. I do think if you are starting out, you should start out walking. Before long you will get bored and by this time you will have lost weight then maybe you speed it up to a slow jog and you just keep going. No matther what just listen to your body. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Both are great for you,do what you prefer.I walk as I have joint issues and avoid impact exercise and I have seen much success with this.Maybe if you dont have much time you could run,but go on longer walks when time dictates that you are able to,that way you get the best of both worlds and mix up the exercise regime.Good luck.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    in my opinion the problrms with running are more related to people starting out to fast ans becoming injured
    if you start slowly and don't have medical concerns i know several heavier runners and they are fine

as for the 300 calories question, if the amount burnt is the same there is no difference
    however running will be of greater benefit for your cardio systems and you use more muscles (arms pumping and you end up having a greater range of motion with your legs )...the benefit to walking first is building up to pushing harder and let's face it....its easier to be social while walking, and if its fun you vare more likely to do it
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Agree with the general view, do what you feel comfortable with. I run 4 times a week, Mon,Wed, Friday's run 32/35 mins 3.7 miles burning around 426 calories and do a longer run on Saturday around 8 miles burn around 896 calories, for around 1 hour...My weight is now 151.5, started at 166 on 28/12....but there are people who do a combination of jog/walk, might be something you might be interested in to start with and make your runs longer as you get fitter! Enjoy it, outdoors running is truly liberating!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    walking, running, it does not matter, yes they both have their benefits in the end so long as you are getting in exercise it does not matter. As far as the human body not being designed to run, well that is just nonsense. The human body was designed to do many things and be flexible to adapt to damn near anything so if you want to run, then run. We are designed as such that we will adapt to it. if you want to walk then walk, just get exercise into your regular routine, not all of us are meant or intend to be olympic athletes.
This discussion has been closed.