protein phobia

Options
Thrust
Thrust Posts: 63 Member
First post here, however, I'm wondering why the apparent "protein phobia?" Over the course of the past 2 years I've lost just under 90lbs. (of fat) and increased my lean mass. Currently I'm eating just over 250g of protein each day (which accounts for ~55% of my macros). Fats comprise roughly 30% of my diet and carbs (mainly from fiborous veggies) are the remainder. As well, I've actually improved my eye sight and the optometrist indicated it was likely due to elimination of simple carbs and processed carbs (e.g., bread/pasta).

From reading the forums I don't see too many folks following similar protocols. Have I overlooked something?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Thrust
    Options
    First post here, however, I'm wondering why the apparent "protein phobia?" Over the course of the past 2 years I've lost just under 90lbs. (of fat) and increased my lean mass. Currently I'm eating just over 250g of protein each day (which accounts for ~55% of my macros). Fats comprise roughly 30% of my diet and carbs (mainly from fiborous veggies) are the remainder. As well, I've actually improved my eye sight and the optometrist indicated it was likely due to elimination of simple carbs and processed carbs (e.g., bread/pasta).

From reading the forums I don't see too many folks following similar protocols. Have I overlooked something?

Thanks! :smile:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Thrust. I don't think it's possible to overdo the protein. I'm not as high as you, but I do at least twice the goal MFP gives me. I consider the protein goal to be a minimum.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree.. however I feel like 250 is a lot... lol... but My trainer wants me eating 1g of protein per my body weight. I started this program when I was at 205 and was eating almost 200g. but found it really hard to eat that much, and found it that I wasn't hungry like i use to be.:happy: .. and I lost 20 pounds in 2 months. Now I'm at a stand still, and have been without my protein shake mix for about 2 weeks and I can tell a BIG difference. So at this point I am eating 20-25 grams of protein per meal (5-6 meals a day.)

I eat my carbs for breakfast and lunch.
    1 slice of whole grain toast & grapefruit in the a.m
    lunch is
    tuna sandwich, or brown rice & chicken, or Pita and ground turkey.

and dinner is normally chicken w/ veggies

And even though I'm at a stand still, I have lost 2 sizes, and my legs and arms are leaner and cellulite is going away!!!! I do believe that I'm at this point because I haven't been consistent with my water, and eating every 2 1/2 hours....
  • Thrust
    Options
    Okay, it's refreshing to see some others who advocate higher/protein and less carbs (or at least correct timing of carbs). I also have 1/2 cup oats on mornings I work out and eat fruit (banana or apple) pre-workout. Occasionally, I'll also have 45g of dextrose in my post-workout shake, although I have begun to question its utility. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you satiated (satisfied, not hungry, whatever you want to call it) for much longer than other foods. I totally love to bump up the protein in my diet, especially with fish. Yummay!
  • Lskid85
    Lskid85 Posts: 16
    Options
    I too am eating a high protein/low carb diet. I feel that it is much healthier.

Tim Ferris is the one that had designed it. This is the link if you want to see more of it:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/#more-19

I don't think you truly lose 20lbs in 30 days, however I do feel much better and have lost some weight.
    The diet just makes sense to me and It's the first program that I have followed and am not hungry, in fact when it's time for me to have another meal I feel like "I have to eat again?".

-Lauren
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree, dothompson. Actually it can be harmful to eat too much protein. When your body has to get rid of the ketones the body makes by having to process excess protein, the kidneys work harder and are stressed. It also causes you to urinate more and can put you at a risk of dehydration. Long-term high protein diets also can lead to bone loss. Like everything, moderation is the key. That's my 2 cents! :smile:
  • Thrust
    Options
    I have to disagree, dothompson. Actually it can be harmful to eat too much protein. When your body has to get rid of the ketones the body makes by having to process excess protein, the kidneys work harder and are stressed. It also causes you to urinate more and can put you at a risk of dehydration. Long-term high protein diets also can lead to bone loss. Like everything, moderation is the key. That's my 2 cents! :smile:

Certainly everything should be taken in moderation (especially carbs) and excess protein can be stored as fat. However, research linking impaired kidney function to increased protein intake isn't substantiated. Typically, there are other variables that lead to impaired kidney function with high protein intake (it's more of an intervening variable) such as not drinking enough water.

Here's a bit from a Men's Health article written by Alan Aragon:

Myth #1: "High protein intake is harmful to your kidneys."

The origin: Back in 1983, researchers first discovered that eating more protein increases your "glomerular filtration rate," or GFR. Think of GFR as the amount of blood your kidneys are filtering per minute. From this finding, many scientists made the leap that a higher GFR places your kidneys under greater stress.

What science really shows: Nearly 2 decades ago, Dutch researchers found that while a protein-rich meal did boost GFR, it didn't have an adverse effect on overall kidney function. In fact, there's zero published research showing that downing hefty amounts of protein--specifically, up to 1.27 grams per pound of body weight a day--damages healthy kidneys.

The bottom line: As a rule of thumb, shoot to eat your target body weight in grams of protein daily. For example, if you're a chubby 200 pounds and want to be a lean 180, then have 180 grams of protein a day. Likewise if you're a skinny 150 pounds but want to be a muscular 180.

taken from:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=nutrition&category=food.for.fitness&conitem=9ec90dc45b0e4110VgnVCM10000013281eac____&page=1
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. Protein is important! But too much can be harmful. Also, men should be consuming more than women in general and as far as I have noticed, no men have shown concern about overdoing it with protein. An important thing for people to remember, is that carbs are our main energy source. They are VERY important in a healthy diet. Limiting carbs is not a good idea unless you have special health concerns and are under a doctors care. People also seem to shy away from consuming fats, which are equally important. Our bodies need fat! Brain function and hormone regulation are controlled by essential fats that we consume. I think that some people wrong idea and think that the more protein, the better, but in reality we should all be taking in a healthy balance of these 3 categories.

PS- Thrust, I'm not saying I think you're limiting fats/carbs. just throwing that info out there for anyone who is reading and questiong their intake.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    oops :laugh: