Use MFP for maintenance mode?

Options
Not yet at my weight goal but as my progress nears 75% of that goal, I've begun to think about a maintenance plan and wonder if MFP can help me then. A year ago (pre-MFP) I weighed close to my current weight. It's been about 3 years since I was at my target and it had been a dozen years of weight above target before that. I so, so do not want to keep falling back. MFP is new to me this year and I like much about it. Has anyone used it for maintenance and, if so, in what ways? I need goals like keeping my weight at target for x months. I can see using it to monitor body measurements to track continuing exercise fitness but I feel I will have less motivation to track calorie intake as intensively although an ideal calorie range probably needs to be kept in front of me somehow. Welcome any comments from folks who have some success in maintenance.

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've used it very successfully for maintenance. You do have to be sure to set your activity level correctly, or MFP won't allow you enough calories in a day. It's great to make sure you don't undereat or overexercise, and of course, overeat! My main motivation for sticking with it is making sure I make healthy choices - tracking vitamins, fiber, and sodium.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm using MFP for maintenance. Losing weight is a struggle--but maintaining is a whole other demon! I just changed my goals so that I maintain weight, trying to get balanced foods into my diet still. I'm successfully maintaining, too, using MFP.
    Although I'm an active person, I set my lifestyle to sedenetary and log my exercise separately. This seems to work best for me and keeps me mindful.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Successfully maintaining 98lbs for the last 5 and half weeks. Just gained 1lb last week. I workout just as much, maybe a little more but added much more strength training. I eat much more now, still healthy but bigger amounts. If you find you are still hungry at the end of the day then eat something. I agree with what has already been said - make sure your activity level is accurate. Feel free to look through my food diary for ideas.
    Best of luck with your goals!! x
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I might not have thought of the activity level as a key setting but it makes sense. I'll file it in my brain while I work the rest of the way to my target and the day I can celebrate the goal by resetting to maintenance mode. I'd guess making using a sedentary level will be best as major slices of my time are at a computer, driving or in meetings. Also, I used my heart monitor to evaluate my calorie use recently during a planned "quiet" day. In 13 hours, I only used 800 calories. Additionally my resting heart rate is in the low 50s. That's good for heart health but means I need more active time to burn calories. I figure that means maintenace will require calorie intake at a level that is not much above my weight loss intake.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, you aren't sedentary. Your activity level should be based on how much muscle you have, so, how often you exercise will affect that. You're probably at least light active if not moderately just by working out a few times a week!
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have reset my activity level to light active, thanks to these suggestions. Today I am less than a pound away from my weight goal but just changed it to go another 5 pounds as I can see my body can use it. FYI - I do watch my BMI and want to keep it in the healthy zone. But I am close enough to want to use this time to transition to mainteance and I think that means I should lose the rest a little more slowly while learning what that means for food consumed. I do not plan to alter my exercise pattern in terms of time but am beginning to shift to more shape-up routines.

It definitely helped me to have defined goals so I think I will need them to achieve an effective maintenance as well. One strategy that worked in weight loss, beyond MFP, was to have some family & friends in shared goals and/or as supporters. Having a maintenance "circle" makes the same kind of sense. Yesterday at a baby shower, one of those friends asked me if I wanted a piece of cake, rather than just putting it in front of me or even suggesting a small piece. Those little acts of support are nice to have.