Anyone trying to lose whilst on Metformin?

Options
Does anyone else take metformin, and if you do have you had
many problems with the side effects?
I am not sure if I am going to keep taking it as I have to keep
Stopping my body isnt adjuisting very well.
Are there certain foodstuff I am better off avoiding?

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin, and although I am losing inches, the number on the scale doesn't want to budge. So, I am interested in reading what others may have to say.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else take metformin, and if you do have you had
    many problems with the side effects?
    I am not sure if I am going to keep taking it as I have to keep
    Stopping my body isnt adjuisting very well.
    Are there certain foodstuff I am better off avoiding?
    I'm off it now since I've dropped quite a bit of weight and my numbers (A1C) are now in the healthy range. I've never personally had any issues with the med. Not sure what side effects you're having from it? I know meds effect everyone differently but I had no problem at all losing while on it and can't think of any problems it caused other than to help in the way it was intended.

If it's becoming a problem you might consider checking in with your doc before stopping the med as it is an important one if you take it for T2.

Wishing you well:flowerforyou:
  • danridge
    danridge Posts: 23
    Options
    I have been on metformin for the last year with no side effects, and have also lost 85 pounds in that amount of time.
  • kimif1
    kimif1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been doing the 17 day diet and it's been fine for me. I'm no metformin. I seem to lose weight slower then before though. How about you how are you doing and what are you doing?
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have been on metformin for the last year with no side effects, and have also lost 85 pounds in that amount of time.
    :wink: Doing a great job! :drinker:
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm on Metformin, & can attest to having one very common side effect (the upset stomach), which went away after about a week of regularly taking it. I notice that if I eat anything really fatty, it comes back or is worse. It's kind of a way that I stay on track. I also have the "trouble" of losing inches (yay for clothes fitting!) but no actual pounds being lost. My scale has been stuck since New Year's! Not sure how to explain that, but it's so annoying.
  • Momma24
    Momma24 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My husband is on metformin.... I can say that when he usually tries to lose weight it just drops off. It seems to be a bit harder this time. I am not sure if it is the metformin or the fact that he is older now...(not old by any means 40's just older than he was when he lost weight before) He has had a hard time getting his blood sugars down though. I know that he really has to focus on his sugar and carb intake.
  • kimif1
    kimif1 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you are just starting the metformin, you might feel sick. Oh that wasa the worse for me. I was told to take it 2 times a day. I can't take it during the day it makes me so sick. It's been 3 years for me I take both pills after dinner. Numbers are so low in the day if i take it, and high in the am so I take both after dinner and it works for me
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am also doing okay with this T2 drug. There are many more drug options available, talk to your doctor. If you are eating right, thee is no reason to take something that is not helping.
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    Are you taking Metformin for Diabetes or does your Dr. have you on metformin for something else (like PCOS)? I was on metformin to help control my pcos but I did not have diabetes and it did stop me from loosing weight on the scale. I don't know if the non-diabetic thing made the difference or not but it did have that affect on me!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    it's the unsettled stomach that's troubling me the most, taking it every day for three weeks and it was just getting worse.
    my stomach has been growling at me a few times today and each time I've needed to make a swift exit to the bathroom, it's bad eneough having to keep going since I am drinking more water without that too! My boss is going to think I am hiding out to avoid working if I carry on.

my weekend diary was a bit dire, but I am back on schedule as of today so, maybe things will settle down sooner this time.
    I've lost 21lb since chrisrtmas plus a few inches, so it has been coming off slowly and I am not in a rush as I want this to be a one way trip.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i'm not taking metformin, but my fiance is. he was diagnosed with type 2 diabets on christmas eve. since going on the medication and with diet and excercise, he has lost 30 lbs. he did have and upset stomach the first few days while taking it, but now there are no side effects. hope that helps :smile:
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sorry trying to post around two small children.

I'm taking it to offset the symptoms of PCOS rather than Diabetes.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I'll have a chat with the doctor when i see him next week.

TM
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm on metformin, 1000 mg for pre-diabetes. My doctor told me the metformin would help me lose weight. I cannot attest to that though, because I haven't been fully dilligent in taking my medication. =X I did take it for almost a month, and in that time did not notice a difference. Perhaps one has to take it a lot longer than that though to see any results. As for the upset stomach, that is one of the side affects of metformin. My doctor warned me that I might have .... sorry for the tmi... loose bowel movements, diarrhea, and stomach aches, but that it shouldn't last more than two or three weeks, and if it does last longer than that, to stop taking it. but you also have to take it diligently and let your body get used to it. if you have been taking it atleast once a day though and you're still getting that, it might be better to talk to your doctor before discontinuing usage, but most likely they will tell you to stop taking it.
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1500mg of Metformin ER nightly for around six weeks now. I am also taking it for PCOS. The side effect haven't been unbearable as long as I stay away from sugar and greasy food. If I consume these things, I always end up regretting it the next day and I end up spending half the day in the bathroom. I'm happy with the results so far. I've lost 12 pounds and counting.
  • kimberlymax
    kimberlymax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on Metformin for PCOS (1500mg/day, 1 pill with each meal) but I have found that if I eat less carbs/sugars and more protein, that m tummy likes me a little more :)