30 DAY SHRED AND NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES

Options
I have been doing the 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones work out's by Jillian Michaels, and am not sure exactly how many calories I am burning ? I have been logging 148 and 197 ..... but it sure feels like I am burning more !!!!

Replies

• kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    i log circuit training for the shred. i did levels 1, 2, & 3 today and think i deserved my 523 cals :)
  • jacyrod
    jacyrod Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree...everytime I log my 30 DS session it I feel I'm getting cheated because I feel like those 20mins are def hard core and worth more than 150 or so cals! And that's just on level 1! So according to MFP no matter what level i'm on I burn the same...? Has to be another way to log...
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I burn about 210 for 30 day shred, I give it everything and weigh 153lb, thats using HRM.

Try logging as curcuit training.
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My adice is invest in a heartrate monitor. it makes a total difference. sometimes what you really burn and what this site tells you is so far off.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The numbers MFP gives you are based on what someone else has input from their own experience. The BEST way to know what you're burning is to buy a heart rate monitor. They have relatively inexpensive ones at Wal Mart.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I log mine as aerobics, low impact.
    I don't eat my exercise calories though so I don't think it really matters for me lol.
    I'm planning on get a HRM once my Swagbucks Amazon giftcards post lol.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and 6 week 6 pack, I log it as calisthenics, that gives you a higher #. Her workouts are so hard to log because of the mixture of strength and cardio.
  • deepmidnyght
    deepmidnyght Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started the No More Trouble Zones and it is kicking my butt. I have not been able to get through the entire workout yet. I am such a wuss. I just purchased a heart monitor to see how many calories i burned during exercise. Doing the first 25 minutes including the warm up it was about 350 calories for me.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My adice is invest in a heartrate monitor. it makes a total difference. sometimes what you really burn and what this site tells you is so far off.

As much as I would like to disagree, its true. I think MFP is not on target with what we really believe we're burning. This is coming from a personal trainer who uses her HRM. So yes, invest.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What I do, is break them down. So 3 mins for abs, then 6 mins circuit with weights, and 9 mins of cardio .. I think it was like 250-300 calories I would burn.. been awhile since I've done one tho .. But that's how I did it :)
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you buy a HRM (heart rate monitor) you will be able to accurately log the amount of calories you burned. I recently purchased a polar FT7 and it is super easy to use. It is a bit of an investment but this way you will be accurate when putting in your exercise info. so you will know exactly how many calories you burned.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It depends on a LOT of factors (how much weight you have to lose, your sex, height, etc.) Also, those 2 DVDs (well more NMTZ) are very strength-oriented. The point of strength workouts isn't so much to burn calories as it is to TONE UP your muscles. I did the 30DS and I have NMTZ and I got a heart rate monitor (HRM) and remember realizing how LITTLE I was actually burning. I was burning anywhere from 90 (level 1)-140 (level 3) calories for a level of 30DS and about 180 for NMTZ.

I was already in the healthy weight range, with not a lot to lose, so I don't burn as many calories as quickly). HRMs can't accurately be used to monitor how much you are burning doing strength anyways, because the focus is on your muscle contractions and not your HR. That being said, do NOT let it discourage you. You will not get a toned body by just trying to do cardio and burn calories, in order to really SHAPE your body (to get those lean arms, toned stomach, curved waist, etc), you gotta do STRENGTH like these DVDs! So even though you aren't burning as many calories as you might hope, you are doing your body a LOT of good and it is still worth sticking to it despite any tendency you might have to switch to something that "burns more."

That being said, a HRM is obviously the best way to figure out exactly how much you are burning. I felt like I was burning a hell of a lot more too, but nope haha
  • jessica1118
    jessica1118 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have a heart rate monitor but I am not sure if it tracks my calories I am going to check :)
  • deepmidnyght
    deepmidnyght Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too just purchase the FT7, so far I like it. Have only used it a couple of times though since I got it over the weekend. Thought the chest strap would bother me and debated getting the kind without but after researching different types of HRM I went with this one and I don't even notice the chest strap.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I got a hrm a couple of weeks ago. I turn it on just before the first arm crosses and stop right after the last stretch. It takes 27 minutes start to finish. I log in what my hrm says. It was pretty close to what "circuit training" would give me if I logged 27 minutes instead of 20. For example: entering 27 minutes of circuit training gives me 229 calories. Level 1 for 26 minutes burned 211 according to my hrm; Level 2 burns between 240 and 250 in 27 minutes according to my hrm; I did Level 3 for the first time today and burned 262 in 27 minutes. I hope that helps:flowerforyou:
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I got a hrm a couple of weeks ago. I turn it on just before the first arm crosses and stop right after the last stretch. It takes 27 minutes start to finish. I log in what my hrm says. It was pretty close to what "circuit training" would give me if I logged 27 minutes instead of 20. For example: entering 27 minutes of circuit training gives me 229 calories. Level 1 for 26 minutes burned 211 according to my hrm; Level 2 burns between 240 and 250 in 27 minutes according to my hrm; I did Level 3 for the first time today and burned 262 in 27 minutes. I hope that helps:flowerforyou:

MFP circuit training was also super close to my HRM results as well
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty good shape, and according to my HRM, I only burn 150-170 for one level of 30 day shred. I was bummed, too, but I just did 2 levels back to back to meet my 300 cals burned/day goal...
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I burned 190 cals (per HRM) with Level 1 Day 5 today. Just to update those that were wondering.