Antidepressants and Weight

Options
Is anyone else having difficulty with their weight while taking antidepressants or something similar? I had excellent metabolism until a few years ago when I was on and off a number of different meds and even though the ones I take now are not directly associated with weight loss, I am still finding it easier to gain weight and harder to lose.

Replies

• soleste
    soleste Posts: 34
    Options
    I was on lexapro a while back and gained about 15lb while on it. As soon as I got off I dropped that weight. Unfortunately, weight gain is one of the side effects to a lot of antidepressants.
  • fergy66
    fergy66 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm on two different ones now and its effecting me majorly. I have no trouble at all putting on the weight. But when it comes to taking it off, its so hard. I asked my doctor if there was something more I could do but she just told me to eat healthy and drink lots of water. No good reply but it does effect your weight.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having difficulty with their weight while taking antidepressants or something similar? I had excellent metabolism until a few years ago when I was on and off a number of different meds and even though the ones I take now are not directly associated with weight loss, I am still finding it easier to gain weight and harder to lose.

If you're on the older types of anti-depressant (non-SSRI) then you may experience greater side effects. SSRIs such as fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram have lesser side effects, but such effects can include weight gain - or indeed, weight loss, in other people.

Anti-psychotics are worse though, in my experience. I have gained 56 lbs or so since starting a course of antipsychotics and antidepressants. I'm currently trying to get that off, and I'm still taking the medication.

Edit: I'm on fluoxetine and risperidone. Risperidone's probably making me gain more weight than fluoxetine has.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found I gained weight while on an antidepressant (wellbutrin), but that could have been the depression. I've been off the meds for (I think) 3 - 4 years. Although I've only been on here about a month, I'm down 13 #. I do cardio - 20 minutes of high intensity interval training (HIIT) on a stationary bike - 3 days a week, weight lifting 3 days a week, walk at lunch as many days as it's nice, ride my horse 2 - 5 times a week, and take yoga once a week. I eat my exercise calories and have MFP set up for a loss of 1# a week. Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it's my experience. :smile:
  • cmgriffis
    cmgriffis Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes! Actually, I recently learned the reason behind my food addicion. When I was in 6th grade (I'm now 18), I was on medication for Tourett's Syndrome. Now, they don't have a speicific medication for Tourette's, but anti-psychotics and even anti-depressants are used. Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics work about the same way in your brain: When taken, your brain absorbs the serytonin and raises the dopamine in your brain's system. What does this mean? Often times, people will find themselves unknowingly eating more than they normally would. It was hard for me because I took them at a young age and for so long! Now, I have a food addiction associated with my weight. Now, I have to try extra hard and remember to ask myself if I'm eating because I'm hungry, or if I just want some food.
    This is another reason why I have yet to go back on medication.
  • kuuipo2006
    Options
    I too have been on antidepressants for many years! Unfortunately many antidepressants cause weight gain. We are kind of stuck! That is the main complaint I have as a side effect, but there is no antidepressants that my doctors know of that won't cause weight gain.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yes! Actually, I recently learned the reason behind my food addicion. When I was in 6th grade (I'm now 18), I was on medication for Tourett's Syndrome. Now, they don't have a speicific medication for Tourette's, but anti-psychotics and even anti-depressants are used. Anti-depressants and anti-psychotics work about the same way in your brain: When taken, your brain absorbs the serytonin and raises the dopamine in your brain's system. What does this mean? Often times, people will find themselves unknowingly eating more than they normally would. It was hard for me because I took them at a young age and for so long! Now, I have a food addiction associated with my weight. Now, I have to try extra hard and remember to ask myself if I'm eating because I'm hungry, or if I just want some food.

I agree with this. Antipsychotics (and I assume antidepressants too) suppress the 'feeling full' response, so you eat a lot more before stopping a meal. If you stop earlier, it doesn't seem satisfying.

On very high antipsychotic levels, I've been unable to realise my stomach can't take any more food and have thrown up as a result. That was a wake up call.

I think antidepressants may do this to a lesser extent but don't take my word for it - everyone reacts differently to these brain medications.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft for years, and then recently switched to Welbutrim (or however you spell it). I didn't gain any weight on Zoloft, and I'm hoping I don't on the new meds....

What a pain isn't it? You need the pills to make you happy to want to work out, but then some make you gain anyways! How frustrating!
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No medication will in and of itself cause weight gain. (excepting water-retention which can be easily addressed by a diuretic from your doctor) Odd & end comments posted mention, don't feel as satisfied, or don't know You are full when You are . . . these seem realistic. Some medication might make one feel hungry, but it is still What & How Much We Eat That Adds To Our Weight. Keeping track of caloric intake and using that as our gauge -- rather than abstract feeling of 'full' and 'still hungry' (<-- learned responses we can re-program) is the sure way to success, meds or no meds.

gyps
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I found I gained weight while on an antidepressant (wellbutrin), but that could have been the depression. I've been off the meds for (I think) 3 - 4 years. Although I've only been on here about a month, I'm down 13 #. I do cardio - 20 minutes of high intensity interval training (HIIT) on a stationary bike - 3 days a week, weight lifting 3 days a week, walk at lunch as many days as it's nice, ride my horse 2 - 5 times a week, and take yoga once a week. I eat my exercise calories and have MFP set up for a loss of 1# a week. Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it's my experience. :smile:

Wellbutrin is what I am taking as well so that is very helpful to see. I had read that it was associated with weight LOSS and lesser appetite and I did drop about 10 lbs relatively quickly once I started, but I think that had to do with stopping Zoloft and lithium. I think lithium is supposed to be bad for it but I'm not sure. I've also been taking lamotrigine (Lamactil brand name) for over a year now and not sure how that affects weight but I think it's minimal. Hopefully my current weight has more to do with overeating/lack of exercise during a pretty rough and extended depression episode. I'm eating better and feeling better now, so hopefully I can lose the weight I want to, I guess it might just take a little extra effort!
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No medication will in and of itself cause weight gain. (excepting water-retention which can be easily addressed by a diuretic from your doctor) Odd & end comments posted mention, don't feel as satisfied, or don't know You are full when You are . . . these seem realistic. Some medication might make one feel hungry, but it is still What & How Much We Eat That Adds To Our Weight. Keeping track of caloric intake and using that as our gauge -- rather than abstract feeling of 'full' and 'still hungry' (<-- learned responses we can re-program) is the sure way to success, meds or no meds.

gyps

This isn't true. Any drug you put into your system will affect your body chemistry. While the medication certainly has an effect on appetite and energy level, many can alter your metabolic systems. For example Lithium - a common mood stabilizer - is known to reduce activity of the thyroid. Thyroid hormones regulate many chemical processes in your entire body and are responsible for increasing basal metabolic rate and regulating the metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates as well as vitamin metabolism. Diet and exercise can help to combat weight gain, and it is not an issue for everyone as our bodies are all unique, but it is not as simple as calories in/calories out.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Sunny_Lexie Posts: 114
    Options

No, Antipsychotics and Antidepressants don't work the same way!! (I have studied this) :noway:

The brain doesn't "absorb" the Serotonin with Antidepressants; actually most of the antidepressants - the SSRI, for selective serotonin recapture inhibitors - increase the serotonin that is available for your neurons to communicate. Serotonin is the major molecule responsible for control of sleep, appetite and mood. If you impair the serotonin balance, you will impair your weight, one way or the other. For me it was a weight loss :bigsmile: