Well, this explains some things (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

Options
So a little background:

I have ADHD (Inattentive type) so I blamed my increasing intense tiredness and lack of motivation on it. I've always had problems focusing etc., but nothing like the last 6 months. In September I had surgery on my knee after 5 months of no care for constant pain...I was admittedly physically and mentally stressed to the max. After my surgery, the pain began in other areas besides the constant pain of my knee. I was worn already worn down from my knee pain, and my recovery was freakishly slow. My wrists began to hurt, my jaw, my ankles, my other knee, my neck and back, and my finger. The joints became swollen and stiff. It didn't happen all at once, it was a slow process so I just became accustomed to the presence of constant pain. Then I started to become ridiculously tired. It didn't matter how long I slept, I woke up exhausted. I have been unable to focus in school, between my ADHD and my tiredness.

On Wednesday I finally got a chance to go to the doctor (work and school are intense). After a long consultation and 9 vials of blood, they called me back today to tell me I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I already started on Wellbutrin to help with the depression that has come from all this pain and such. I'm scheduled to go back in a week to get vitamin B shots. The doctor believes (and so do I) that this is a result of the pain before and the surgery, as well as the long recovery.

I've been doing some research and such, but I want to hear from real people. How does this affect you? How do you deal and control it? Also, support is always appreciated as I'm feeling a bit down about this.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh and also we're waiting to do some tests to see if I have Fibromyalgia as well.
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi mate. I have had CFS for many years, feel free to private message me if you like. :)

Cheers,
    Jo
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi and thanks for sharing:) I am sorry to hear of the hell you have been going through. Although not diagnosed with CFS myself, I can empathize. I am ALWAYS tired.. Cant seem to figure it out really. I have constant pain (but 8 herniated discs and deg disc disease) an underactive thyro (on med for) and hyster. hard to say what is what. I would be interested to read the posts you get on this subject. I know it must be completely frustrated. I am happy to hear that someone is doing something for you to combat this. Keep your optimism hun, it is half the battle!!.........................Teash
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Were you tested for food sensitivities?

I had similar symptoms a few years ago. I was sleeping so much and so down and pain when awake that life wasn't worth living. Blood tests showed nothing. After being poked and prodded and labbed to death by several doctors, I finally went to one who happens to be vegan thinking he'd know more about nutrition. About 15 minutes into my initial consult we were discussing my allergies (hayfever and a couple drug allergies). He asked about food allergies. I said I had none. He asked if I'd ever been TESTED for food allergies - I hadn't. So I had a comprehensive blood test for food allergies. Turns out I am very sensitive to wheat and dairy. (I wasn't eating dairy anyway at this point but it explained why i didn't feel much diff from omnivore to vegetarian but felt a huge diff from veg to vegan!!) I cut all wheat out of my diet. Within a few weeks I had energy, no aches and pains, and my depression lessened daramatically! Now when I fall off the wagon and eat wheat I can tell the difference within a few hours. The food allergy test was life changing for me. Just wanted to share in case you think it might be an area for you to explore.

Best of luck to you - I hope you find a "cure" as easily as I did!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I`m sorry you are struggling.I know having constant pain is no fun.i`m glad you`re getting some answers from the medical field.It`s better to know what is going on,then just wondering and getting down about it.Hope whatever they find from the other tests,they can help you so you don`t have to be in constant pain.
    Best of luck!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    Teasha, thanks for the kind words :) The theory that we are operating on now is that I've been in pain so long that it triggered constant pain and fatigue :ohwell: I can only imagine the pain you must have in your back and such.

As I'm doing some research today I read an article in TIME "There's no telling who the victims of chronic pain will be, but there are ways of determining who is at highest risk. About 10% of people who have surgery, even relatively routine procedures such as knee or back operations, for example, will never be the same again, suffering a lifetime of generalized pain that may start from the incision site but is eventually diffused to other parts of the body."

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2057269,00.html#ixzz1HGoWb6Qq

Ahem Ahem knee surgery, thanks a lot! Haha. I am a very optimistic person, its just been a little hard lately with so much being thrown at me. But thank you and best of luck to you as well ! :flowerforyou:
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    VegGrrl, no I haven't yet, but that seems like a good idea! I've never had traditional allergies, but I am allergic to Soy in a pure form (soy milk, soy protein nuggets, endamame). It sucks because I see soy lecithin in everything and I have no idea if it's affecting me...

Thanks for the info!
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had c.f.s for nine and a half years now, I cut out gluten from my diet and it dramatically improves my energy levels and I find it easier to get out of bed in the morning! I spent 6 weeks in a neurology department in essex a few years ago and they advised gentle, increasing activity and good diet. They also did a lot of cognitive behavioural work to help me a) learn to live normally (not napping all the time) and b) cope with down moods which up until that point had dominated my illness. I'm very slowly improving but after years of bed rest my body is fragile, weak, and susceptible to infections :( I'm sorry you've been given it for a diagnosis but as it is becoming more and more recognised I'm sure they will come up with better advice/treatment soon. It has even been linked to a virus - XMRV. Also, lack of exercise (and being in bed most of the time) means I've never been able to consume many calories without gaining! I'm gradually trying to fix my metabolism now but I'm faced with skinny fat until I feel better. I'm sort of praying at the moment that permanently removing gluten from my diet will magically fix me, but, until then, it still helps a great deal.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with this (although I am not convinced) i take Amnitriptyline for pain and to help me sleep and haven't been able to get my weight to move at all since I went on them. I do feel a lot better though. Its bizarre really, I get pains in some funny places. I find exercise actually helps, although I know its not the same for everyone. Good luck though.
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    I know, exercise helps me out a lot....sometimes the knees just don't allow for it grr haha.