My first 5K

Options
I work at a sportswear store and most of the people I work with are pretty active, outdoorsy types. When I started working there I was only the latter, but now I'm starting to be more active too! I work with an Olympian champion speed skater. She, along with one of our managers, is doing a 5K on May 1 -- and they've talked me into doing it, too! It's sponsored by a local Mexican restaurant that's having a Cinco de Mayo celebration afterward, complete with free Mexican food and margaritas for the runners. I'm very excited, but also pretty nervous... I've never done a 5K.

I played soccer my whole life up until college and used to be in excellent shape. I also know that I bounced back pretty quickly from anywhere from 1-9 months off, depending on the local leagues and time spent on traveling teams. But I was younger, and also in much better shape, so I'm not sure how quickly I'll "bounce back" this time!

I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week, doing 40 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes walking at a brisk pace on the treadmill. NOW I've got to start running. I'm doing the Couch to 5K program offered on the Cool Running website; my manager recommended it to me. She has done it and says it's pretty good. Have any of you tried it? Any advice for training for a first-time 5K runner?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Started C25K last September and finished it last November and I will be running my 5th race (4 5K's and 1 3-miler) this Saturday and now I'm working on the Bridge to 10K. I love the C25K program! My wife has also done it and I'm going through it with my son now too.
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've done 4 5ks now and am currently training for my first 10k. This last 5k I used the C25K training program and I LOVED it! I was able to cut 8 minutes off my time. (Granted, I was still slow, but I was just ecstatic to come in under 40 minutes!!! Next time, I'm hoping for under 35 minutes.) My biggest recommendation is to be sure to get some hill training in. And know that your average pace for your practice runs will be your pace on race day. All the training you put in now will be totally worth it come race day. I trained exclusively on a treadmill and was able to maintain the same pace on race day, but I was a lot more sore because of the hills. One other strong recommendation is to be sure to get at least one or two runs in prior to race day that are longer than the 5k. I did two 3.5 mile runs prior to race day and wasn't worried about the distance at all because of it. Oh, and don't start running with the pack unless you feel you've warmed up enough. If you start too strong, you'll die out and end up having to walk the whole thing. Take your time and just have fun. It pays off in the end! Good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Hills? What are those things? My bad...I live in SW Louisiana where we can clearly see sea level on a nice day, lol!
  • julieevink
    julieevink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the couch to 5k plan right now and I think it's great! I was scared to death to tackle trying to run a 5k but this builds up gradually and it seems way easier in your head which is of course the major obstacle. Believe you can do it and you will be able too! I'm up to 25 minutes and have never been a runner at all. It's addictive and rewarding once you get started. You can do it!
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    It's a great program, I've done 2 5K's and will be running my first 10K in April. I'm using the Bridge to 10K app now. Good Luck!
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    I've never done a 5K but I wanted to say yay for you. Go for it!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I completed day 1 of week 6 yesterday. I have never considered myself a runner at all and yet I am completely addicted to the endorphin rush I get when I push myself further than I ever thought I could go. I will tell you that at the beginning of each week, I look at the workout plan for that week and think "there is no way" and by the end of the week I am looking back and seeing how I kicked butt and feeling very proud. Good luck to you! You can do ANYTHING you want if you really try.