Healthy Gorcery List Please...

Options
I'm just starting this (just joined yesterday) but I can't really "officially" start yet because my house has pretty much NO healthy food in it. My family has always eaten VERY unhealthy so it's rare to find fruit and veggies here. But I LOVE all kinds of healthy food, so hopefully I won't have a huge problem with it! I need to make a grocery list so either I or my mom can go buy this food for me to eat so I'm not so tempted by our chips...and chocolate...and stuff. I need YUMMY healthy food and recipes. Especially healthy snackage! I've heard snacks between meals is great, but better if their healthy. If I have a choice between chocolate and an apple...well....yeah, you know how difficult that choice can be. So I want some yummy, but healthy snack choices that will easily turn me away from the unhealthy crud we have.
SO....make me a little grocery list with all kinds of healthy food you recommend to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks...and feel free to throw out recipes! (Preferably easy recipes:wink: )

Thanks in advance!!:happy:

Replies

• cbear9264
    Options
    My favorite new snack...Luna Mini nutrition bars. Only 80 calories makes a great snack. Also Coaches Oats with fruit for breakfast and anything grilled for dinner. I love veggie skewers broiled with a little fat free italian dressing makes a delicious side dish.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You're more than welcome to see my diary for examples of what I eat. I will do a list of my must haves.
    Egg whites
    whole grain bread preferably Ezekiel but Natures Own 100% WW will do (check the label for stone ground!!!)
    almond butter, organice no salt added or PB same thing
    apples, strawberries, any berries, bananas
    oatmeal, preferably steel cut oats ( I soak either one of these in a container which I make to last me at least 3 days so I can just scoop how much I need and go!! )
    soy milk organice no added sugar or cocunut milk organic/almond milk
    zucchini
    red bell peppers
    red onions
    black beans low sodium
    tilapia fillets, shrimp, boneless skin less chicken breast
    greek yogurt!!! a must have
    quinoa, brown rice ( I use Wylers granules chicken flavor to add flavoring)
    organic low sodium chickn broth for soups!!!!
    avocados for good fat
    lean ground turkey
    low fat cheeses
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    We use the Saving Dinner Menu Mailers. They are set up for six days a week, one recipe per day. They include recipe cards for each meal and also a "daytime" menu that has breakfast, lunch and snack on it. They also include grocery lists for all this stuff, and a caloric/nutrition breakdown for each meal/snack. If this is something that interests you, they can be found at http://www.savingdinner.com They also offer a free trial menu, which might be helpful.
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    eatbetteramerica.org has yummy (and pretty easy) recipes! I went shopping today and bought the ingredients for a couple of their recipes. I also love almonds and cucumber slices for snacks...i love the crunch!

It will be tough being the "healthy one" in the house, since your family doesn't eat healthy, but YOU CAN DO IT!! Suggest healthier alternatives to your family,....or maybe even offer to cook dinner one night a week and sneak in a veggie or two, hehehe.... they just might be SO impressed by your efforts that they jump on board! :)

Best wishes and Welcome to MFP! :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    :/
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    First off, what is your overall strategy? The admirable goal of losing weight is made much easier by having a clear method. Everyone thinks diets are fads, but most books will teach you how to eat well. The difference between good and bad carbs, and good and bad fats.

The South Beach Diet helps a lot in teaching you how to eat better. It teaches you good and bad foods and most importantly why they are good and bad.

Find a healthy eating plan that works for you, whatever it may be. From there you can start deciding what to buy and eat.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    plenty of veggies and fruits, everything 100% whole..and make sure and look at the cals, I like laughing cow light Swiss cheese, fiber one cereal, I like greek yogurt (chobani), chicken of course
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Maybe try meals you like currently, but do healthier versions of them? For example, I like chips (fries), so I buy low cal/low fat options. I like hot chocolate so I get low cal sachets for 40 cals. I like pizza, so I buy small ones for about 250-320.

I find the biggest thing for me, which isn't any help to you, is that I don't keep chocolate or anything naughty to snack oni n my home - I know I can't resist.
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping yesterday and the following was on my list. I've added notes in addition for your dining/snacking ideas!

skim milk
    cheddar cheese
    plain yogurt (I mix with frozen mixed berries. By the time I get to work, the berries are thawed - good morning snack!)
    frozen salad shrimp (I mix with fresh pico de gallo and fresh lime juice to create a shrimp cerviche. I eat with whole grain crackers. This is a MEAL!)

heart healthy bisquick (I'm making impossible cheeseburger pie tonight for the family with this)
    chocolate ovaltine (I sprinkle ovaltine in my banana/milk/peanut butter smoothies)
    canned black beans (eat on salads with shredded chicken, salsa, tiny amount of ranch dressing for a southwestern type salad)
    refried beans

celery (blend into berry smoothies - you can't taste it, but you get a full serving of vegetables!)
    strawberries (afternoon snack)
    red leaf lettuce
    spinach
    canteloupe (snacking)
    grapes (snacking)
    green onions (ALWAYS on my green salads)
    white potatoes (roasted with garlic salt and paprika for dinner)
    limes
    snap peas (eat with ranch for an afternoon snack)
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    This might help you: Dr. Oz's On a Diet Shopping List:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/you-diet-shopping-list
  • Elanabee
    Elanabee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay away from simple carbs and processed food as much as possible. Try carrots, sugar snap peas, apples with a SMALL amount of peanut butter (lots of calories), a small handful of almonds (trail mix is super high in calories so watch out for that)... Even tortilla chips and salsa make a decent snack, as long as you don't over do it.

The more you can avoid sugar and gluten the better. The more organic and whole, the better. What works the best for me in terms of a daily schedule is:
    Breakfast: 1 egg over medium cooked in coconut oil with cumin and salt, sauteed greens (mostly kale) with carrot and onion.
    Lunch: Salad of mixed greens, onion, radish, baby corn, carrot, whatever other veggies you want, dressed in sunflower oil with juice of half a lemon and salt, plus a protein of some sort.. 4 oz or chicken breast or fish. Yum.
    Snack: apple or chips and salsa
    Dinner: veggies (roated, sauteed or steamed ~ my fave is cauliflower/broccoli/cabbage with a teaspoon of butter and some salt) with either a protein (chicken or fish) OR a whole grain like brown rice/quinoa/buckwheat.
    Evening snack: raw walnuts

All of this is soooooo simple to make and using spices and herbs (cumin/tumeric/dill/thyme/rosemary) on all this stuff makes it actually exciting to eat.
    Hope that helps!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Maybe try meals you like currently, but do healthier versions of them? For example, I like chips (fries), so I buy low cal/low fat options. I like hot chocolate so I get low cal sachets for 40 cals. I like pizza, so I buy small ones for about 250-320.

This is the approach I tend to go for.

I like making 'toast pizza' - toast a slice of bread under the grill, spread with tomato sauce (any kind of pasta sauce or tomato purée works), then melt the cheese on top (remember to weigh the cheese!). Load it up with veggies if you want.

I like this, because it means making an individual portion, rather than cooking a whole pizza.

Chips, try cutting a potato into strips, boiling for ten minutes or so, then baking in the oven for half an hour with a spray of oil. You can spice them quite heavily too, or however you want. And try this for hash browns --> http://www.sheddingit.com/2010/01/29/healthy-sweet-potato-hashbrowns-recipe/ .:D
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    nabisco 100cal snack packs.. they have cookie ones and snack mixes, cheeze-it types, etc.
    sugar free diced del monte peaches (individual cups) 25cal
    baby carrots. 1/2cup is about 30cal
    light ranch dressing for veggies (occasionally) wishbone brand, 40cal for 2tbls.
    sugar free mrs. butterworths maple syrup, 1/4cup is 20cal (normally 210)
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    sugar free jello cups, 5cal for certain ones
    sugar free pudding cups, under 80cal
    light string cheese, frigo brand is 60cal
    lunch meat--turkey, 6slices for 45cal (deli cut oscar meyer)
    fat free 1% milk, 90cal a cup

just a few ideas that i eat alll the time!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ok it's late and I'm suuuuper tired so I'm not going to reply to everyone's specifically, but thanks SOOOO much everyone!!! I added everything to my list and everything sounds so yummy...and healthy!
    To those who said to eat healthier versions of what I eat now...I have been doing that yesterday and today. I'm eating the healthiest things I can find in our house (though they aren't very healthy) and I'm eating smaller portions.
  • EquestrianLark135
    Options
    eatbetteramerica.org has yummy (and pretty easy) recipes! I went shopping today and bought the ingredients for a couple of their recipes. I also love almonds and cucumber slices for snacks...i love the crunch!

It will be tough being the "healthy one" in the house, since your family doesn't eat healthy, but YOU CAN DO IT!! Suggest healthier alternatives to your family,....or maybe even offer to cook dinner one night a week and sneak in a veggie or two, hehehe.... they just might be SO impressed by your efforts that they jump on board! :)

Best wishes and Welcome to MFP! :)
    Thanks! I will be sure to refer to that site often! :smile:

Yeah, I told my mom to NOT let me eat chocolate when she buys it. She always has a bag of mini reese's or mini snickers or something on her night stand and she lets me take as many as I want...so I do...I told her if I ask for one to tell me "NO!" Hopefully I won't be so tempted though. I've figured out when I get tempted by the yummy foods they're eating to just leave the room and occupy myself with something else...like getting on the computer (on here) or working out or something. It helps...sometimes...

Thanks for the support!!:happy:
  • EquestrianLark135
    Options
    This might help you: Dr. Oz's On a Diet Shopping List:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/you-diet-shopping-list
    Awesome! This helps a lot! Thanks!:smile:
  • EquestrianLark135
    Options
    First off, what is your overall strategy? The admirable goal of losing weight is made much easier by having a clear method. Everyone thinks diets are fads, but most books will teach you how to eat well. The difference between good and bad carbs, and good and bad fats.

The South Beach Diet helps a lot in teaching you how to eat better. It teaches you good and bad foods and most importantly why they are good and bad.

Find a healthy eating plan that works for you, whatever it may be. From there you can start deciding what to buy and eat.
    I guess I'm not 100% sure of my strategy...I planned on eating healthier and doing smaller portions. I have heard a lot of good things about the South Beach Diet...I'll read about it a bit...I heard it's kinda pricey, though... Thanks!
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My favorite new snack...Luna Mini nutrition bars. Only 80 calories makes a great snack. Also Coaches Oats with fruit for breakfast and anything grilled for dinner. I love veggie skewers broiled with a little fat free italian dressing makes a delicious side dish.

I LOVE luna!!! omg the chocolate dipped coconut one is like... heaven...

try some of the special k alternatives. i started having roasted red pepper hummus and special k crackers instead of chips and dips... also good for that kind of snacking is the laughing cow cheese wedges.. my favorite is the garlic herb. The special K cereal bars and cereals are tasty and not horrid either... I stocked my freezer full of healthy choice meals and am now mainly cooking only what i buy to make from scratch at home instead of going out. or eating the frozen meals. Fudgecicles.. the no sugar added smaller ones are really good too.. and only 40 calories.. that's what i've started to do... and of course eating healthy stuff cuz its really good. my favorite dessert cuz i'm a nerd... yoplait french vanilla yogurt w chopped up strawberries and bannanas and other fruits mmmm heaven
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you want baby steps, try chocolate coated frozen bananas. Peel a banana, insert a popsicle stick, freeze, dip in chocolate, then eat. Not 100% healthy, but not too bad and very yummy: just like an ice-cream.

Along similar lines, you could try frozen grapes (not chocolate coated, just as-is).

Ryvita or vitawheat biscuits with vegemite or lightly salted air-popped popcorn are a good substitute for chips and other salty junk food.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    A couple of my favorite snack foods are frozen grapes and air popped popcorn topped with cinnamon and a little sugar instead of salt and butter. The frozen grapes taste like candy and the popcorn has a nice crunch and still a little sweetness to curb that sweet tooth.