Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Extra calories after dinner.....

I almost always end up with at least 500 calories left after dinner and since that is when I crave the most snacks, I feel as though I can pretty much eat whatever I want as long as I dont go over my calories. I have tried to add more snack during the day to use up more calories but I can't make myself eat when I am not hungry. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Is it ok for me to be eating between 8 pm and midnight?

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    im way under calories 2 day, but am not hungry, but i def wouldnt eat anything after 8:flowerforyou:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    NO! You should not be eating that late at all unless you are a diabetic.

You need more calorific items in your day to use up those calories. Have a BIG breakfast (and yes, you do need to force yourself for a few weeks until you get used to it), add in nuts, natual peanut butter, or avacado where you can to get in those calories during the day.
  • Yess I have this problem too. Though sometimes I'm not even hungry and still have lots of calories left, but I eat anyway to get them up and then I just end up hungry, it's so frustrating! I've tried eating more in the day, it never really works out. I too would like to know if it's actually okay to do that? I figure it's worse to be way under your calorie goal than to snack after seven/before bed.
  • Same problem here also, like today for example I have 580 calories remaininig for today, and that is with no exercise(yet), like you I am also a night time food junkie, and love my snacks. I have 100 calorie kettle pop corn I boutgh, I also enjoy the Smart Ones desserts, they are around 200 calories. As far as eating after a certain time, I really don't know!!!!!!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Spoon full of Peanut butter or some nuts is always good to use up calories!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    The latest I've eaten is 10, sometimes even 11PM. I know, not good. But sometimes that is what my schedule calls for. For whatever reason my body requests Special K cereal as my last snack. I think they put crack in it.
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    My opinion on when to eat is...From the time you wake until the time you sleep, you can eat your calories. I lost 60 pounds about 8 years ago eating 2 servings of cereal before bed. I used to not be able to sleep if I was hungry.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    I am with you Rubie- I have eaten as late as 1am before- My body doesn't know what time it is. If I am going to be up a for some time after eating, I don't worry about it. Now, I wouldn't eat anything then go directly to bed of course.
  • carleighsmama
    carleighsmama Posts: 29 Member
    My opinion on when to eat is...From the time you wake until the time you sleep, you can eat your calories. I lost 60 pounds about 8 years ago eating 2 servings of cereal before bed. I used to not be able to sleep if I was hungry.

I agree with you. If I go to bed hungry, I wake up starved and very cranky.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    You should eat carbs or fat within three hours of going to bed. They are only used for energy and if your body isn't using them they will get stored as fat.

You can train your body's hunger signals, it just takes some work. Add a little food to meals and snacks earlier in the day and eat less after dinner. After a while your body should adjust and understand that eating before bed isn't necessary.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    You can eat whenever you want, the biggest problem with eating too late at night can be poor food choices, mindless eating & under estimating how much you actually are eating. Its easier to be less honest with yourself.

I have no problems eating my calories :blushing: but I eat things like avocados, olive oil, nut butters and almonds pretty much everyday. I do much better if I pre-plan my meals for the next day and see the best way to use all/most of my calories. For me its not always waiting for my body to get hungry. I know its better for me to eat something around 3-3:30pm even if I'm not really hungry. If I don't I'll be too hungry come dinner time and I'll graze and graze and never feel satisfied.

For those later nights or times I'm just really truly hungry at night I have an apple or I always have homemade veggie soup frozen in individual portions.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    So you are saying you have 500 calorie snack allowance and you rather eat them after dinner then earlier in the day because you aren't hungry....right? I don't see the problem here.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    try to eat healthy snacks (something I am struggling with myself at night)

and as far as eating in the evening - there are many many articles (both scientific and pop culture) that claim that eating at night causes weight gain is a myth - but there are fine lines to be read on both sides of the debate.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/myth-debunked-late-night-eating-does-not-cause-weight-gain.html
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    First off, there's nothing wrong with eating past 8pm. That is a common weight loss/nutrition myth. A COMPLETE MYTH. It's as stupid as saying muscle weighs more than fat. Lol. 5 pounds is 5 pounds, no matter what it's made of, sorry.

Now, keep in mind a calorie is also just a calorie. It doesn't matter whether you eat all your calories in chocolate or vegetables; it's the deficit that's responsible for your weight loss. I'm not advocating eating only chocolate though! What I'm saying is that it's perfectly fine to have a treat every night. If I had calories left after dinner, I'd eat dessert every night. (And since I workout at night, I'd probably had a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter after... for energy.) Enjoy yourself; if you're hungry at night, eat. I used to not eat breakfast no matter what people said, because I wasn't hungry in the morning. That's not true anymore; I suddenly gained this massive appetite in the morning, but that's beside the point. Haha.

If you're still not comfortable eating more calories at night, you can always add extra calories throughout the day. If you have a sandwich for lunch, put cheese and light mayo on it (or avocado!). Add a little peanut butter to your toast in the morning. Eat real eggs instead of egg substitute. You might even want to specifically start buying foods that aren't labeled low cal. I know that I accidentally bought regular jello pudding snacks that other day, and they were 110 calories versus the 60 I normally have. Ugh! :)

Good luck with your weight loss. YOU CAN DO IT!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    NO! You should not be eating that late at all unless you are a diabetic.

false.
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Thanks for all the advice:) I feel much better now! Even though I have all those calories, I still make sure my choices are healthy ones and not right before bed. As long as I am seeing some desired results I will continue to do what works for my body.

Thanks again!!!