Well what the heck.

Options
so I've been pretty annoyed with myself lately, because I've been stuck at the same weight since November! I got an elliptical, and have been trying to raise my endurance on it. However within the last 2 weeks I've somehow managed to gain 4 lbs. So as i said I was pretty mad with myself about it.
That is, until just now. When I measured, and I've lost 3 inches around the largest part of my thighs, and a half inch in my calves.

How is it I can gain weight but lose inches?

Replies

• chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    Because muscle weighs more than fat! Tape measures are the best way to track your progress; not scales. You are replacing your fat stores with lean muscle, which can cause you to gain weight. Keep up the exercise, and way to go! :)
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    great job! keep it up!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Same here. I have only lost 4lbs but am a clothes size smaller and everyone has commented on how much weight I have lost. Except I haven't!
  • Tiffany220
    Options
    So annoying right?? I noticed that too! I weigh and measure myself weekly and notice on the weeks I lose a decent amount of weight, I don't lose inches. On the weeks I don't lose any weight, I loose inches! I know tape measure are a more accurate way to measure progress, but that number on the scale is SO much more rewarding!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    LOVE those lost inches!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    LOVE those lost inches!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    increased glycogen stores and the associated water retention from the increased exercise. It's normal : )
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    well done:smile:
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    lol, I really track my progress by how much my jeans sag on my hips, or when it's time to size down :)
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    the scale finally dropped today. -4 lbs. but now I'm back to where I was stuck, so hopefully it keeps on moving!