Staying on track and helping others with their journey

Options
I feel fortunate to have lost my weight as planned and in fact, started to gain muscle weight and continued fat loss. It's a shame but I was just looking at my friends list and over the last year I've lost almost 50% as they either lost interest or couldn't keep to the plan. Looking at their diaries they all shared similar characteristics which seems to be common for people who unfortunately end up failing at their goal of weight loss and a healthy workout program. They all tried but you could just see that what they were doing was gonna fail. Should we be blunt with people when you see them going down that path? Wish I could have said something to help keep them on course..

Replies

• magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, be blunt, yet gentle. But don't do it on their wall, send them a message and ask what is going on and why they think they are making many poor choices. As I look at my "friends" I don't know many of them in real life, so when I notice a negative trend, I check in with them and see if they just need some extra encouragement. Maybe they are having a really rough time, and they can't cope with weight and a different situation at the same time.

I hope this helps.
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    Maybe. It would be discouraging in a way, not all of us have the option to pick out what we buy at the grocery store, or can afford a gym membership, or have the support. So if you did say something, and they couldn't do much about it, then it would make them feel really bad. So, I don't think I would have said anything anyway. We all have to go through this journey. Sometimes we fail, but maybe a lot of those people will start up again. Maybe when they move out of the house. Or get a gym membership. Or have met someone who can support their weight loss journey.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I sure hope my friends will be blunt with me. That's why I am being honest for the first time about what I eat and when I work out.

If you need to vent your bluntness, friend me! I appreciate people who call me on my... stuff :-P
  • dincler
    dincler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would prefer the blunt approach - because the softer, gentler approach has enabled me to become what I am today. I need someone to say "Hey buddy - I thought you were trying to get skinnier? Why you eating that slice of cheesecake?". It would be a huge part of the accountability factor of weight loss.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know how you can tell from someone's diary that they are going to fail?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yep I would rather someone be blunt.

Having no gym membership or external support are just excuses.
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have seen people who way they want to try to lose weight and then complain about not losing. When you look at their calories they are either over on calories or they are over in carbs and or fat. They are eating things like cheese whiz or anther fattening things. They don't have a workout plan and the workout calories they do take off are for things like "cleaning the house". Then they eat the extra calories that they think they earned from that as their extra calorie burn. It's these same people that inevitably end up giving up and unfortunately failing at this.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would say yes be honest. Being honest does not = rude. I appreciate that people are honest enought to tell me the mistakes they think I am making. I would probably send it in a message rather than post it on their page, just to avoid any confusion.