WOW broccoli is high in sodium!

Options
from calorie counter it has 98 calories in a stalk and 738mg sodium...:noway: of course I cant find that info on MFP going through the 100 broccoli posts

Replies

• angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's right. The frozen broccoli I had for dinner only had 20 mg of sodium in 1 cup. I imagine fresh broccoli has next to no sodium.
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    Yeah that's not right. Fresh or frozen wont have hardly any.
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow where did you find that info. That just doesn't seem right.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Definitely not right if it's fresh.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-broccoli-i11090
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try here nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2 Says a stalk has 50mg sodium
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    That isn't correct. I cup(91 grams) of raw broccoli is 30mg.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    Where did you get this info?
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I entered 1/2 cup of broccoli tonight. 15 cals and 15 gr of sodium. It was fresh, raw broccoli however. The prepared stuff, even the frozen, generally has added salt.

And yes, I agree....a streamlined way of finding food would be a wonderful thing. I've seen the same thing entered many times, often with a "generic" in front of the name, or it's form first (steamed, raw, etc.). The food should be listed by the name of the food.

And for the umpteenth time - let us delete food items from our lists already!!! (there - rant is over)

Hope that helps for the broccoli though! Keep in keepin' on.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That's surely not right, I had fresh broccoli yesterday and there was none (or only a trace) in the 100g I had - plus I got the nutritional information from the wrapper so it was accurate. I imagine frozen broccoli would have a bit more, they tend to put all sorts in frozen stuff but I still can't imagine it being that high! :/
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    It is wrong. Needs to be reported or changed.
  • EdwardCPT
    EdwardCPT Posts: 37
    Options
    fresh shouldnt have any. frozen should. I would look for one that doesnt have any sodium or add your own entry depending on what kind it is
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's because it's "cooked"....most people cook with salt so they maybe added it into the preparation??
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    fresh shouldnt have any. frozen should. I would look for one that doesnt have any sodium or add your own entry depending on what kind it is

My frozen broccoli does not. No reason to have any added to it.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    that doesnt seem right. My 2 cups of fresh was 60mg sodium