Question about calories & being pregnant

Options
I am about 7 weeks along, Do I need to change my calorie needs on MFP and if so how do I do that? Right now my everyday goal for calories is set at 1200.

Replies

• ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Talk to your doctor before you cut back from maintenance calories. Your doctor will have a better idea of what your growing baby needs. That is why diet products are never recommended for pregnant women. Only lose weight right now if it is under your doctor's guidance.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr and follow the doc's advice.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Again, speak to your doctor.

I gather that, for the first six months, you need to be on maintenance calories, then up to gaining half a pound a week for the last trimester.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think its like a couple hundred more than you would normally. So if youre at 1200 now, maybe increase it to 1500.
    Congratulations!!
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I agree ask your doctor but I also found on the government food pyramid website they have a section on it.

Im 6 weeks along.
    From what I gathered the first trimester you want to maintain your weight and then after that add 200-300 calories to your maintaince calories.

TO do this on MFP go to setting I think it is and switch to maintain when it asks for wieght loss goals. I would definately eat more then 1200. Also babyfit.com is a fitness website for pregnant and new moms and when I added my pregnancy to it it gave me a range that was about the same as what MFP set for maintainance. HTHs
  • ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! My first Dr visit isn't until the 29th, but I will def ask about it then. Thanks again for all your advice/help. (:
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor first but here is a site to get information on calorie intake while pregnant:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • shoe0513
    shoe0513 Posts: 4
    Options
    I wouldn't try and lose weight when pregnant. I only gained 20 lbs and lost all of it with in 2 weeks of giving birth. I just ate healthy and still exercised! The most important thing is to have a healthy baby! I had a friend that gained close to 35 lbs and lost it all in a couple of weeks. Really talk to your Dr. or widwife about it.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Most women on the pregnancy thread set their calories to maintenance right away. Its not until the second trimester that you need more calories, and at that point it will be about 300 calories above your maintenance.