Relationship issues... kinda related to food LOL

Options
So my long term (6 year) relationship came to an end about a week ago. The rough part about my relationship is that my boyfriend and I have lived together for 3 years. We've had lots of problems in the past but we both love each other very much. It has been bad for a while, but he just said he needed time to think about it. How do you give someone time and space when you live together? I don't really have the option to move right now due to financial circumstances and neither of us have family close by. Anywho... on to the food related part LOL

I haven't been able to eat. Which is very abnormal because I am generally hungry all the time. I have no appetite. have to force food down. And in an effort to stay out of our apartment as much as possible, I'm going to the gym for an average of 2 hours a day. I haven't been charting my food, but if I had to guess I'd say I'm eating about 1000 cals a day, if that, and burning atleast 600. I know this is bad. But I get to sick to my stomach if I try to eat more than that. And the working out hard makes me relieve stress. Anyone been through this and have any suggestions?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    So my long term (6 year) relationship came to an end about a week ago. The rough part about my relationship is that my boyfriend and I have lived together for 3 years. We've had lots of problems in the past but we both love each other very much. It has been bad for a while, but he just said he needed time to think about it. How do you give someone time and space when you live together? I don't really have the option to move right now due to financial circumstances and neither of us have family close by. Anywho... on to the food related part LOL

I haven't been able to eat. Which is very abnormal because I am generally hungry all the time. I have no appetite. have to force food down. And in an effort to stay out of our apartment as much as possible, I'm going to the gym for an average of 2 hours a day. I haven't been charting my food, but if I had to guess I'd say I'm eating about 1000 cals a day, if that, and burning atleast 600. I know this is bad. But I get to sick to my stomach if I try to eat more than that. And the working out hard makes me relieve stress. Anyone been through this and have any suggestions?
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I have not been in your particular spot...but good luck girlie! Keep yourself motivated and healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Well when my ex and I were going through the same situation (need I remind you we were married) we would take turns having a night by ourselves like geoff would go to a sports bar with a few co workers and watch games and when I would have my nights I would go to the movie or the library.etc
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    First of all. . .I'm so sorry. I've done the "roomates" nightmare before when a relationship of mine ended. It is awful.

It's important to eat. I find that when I'm stressed, I eat a lot of almonds and other nuts. They seem gentle on my system, and you don't have to eat many of them for the calories to add up. This suggestion might sound hokey, but pack yourself a picnic and go eat it at a park. . .maybe it's just difficult to eat at home because the environment feels so depressing right now.

Do your best to be kind to yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My first husband - a state trooper - died tragically ten years ago. I felt the same way I couldn't eat for months. My dr. told me that grieving and stress do a number on your body and compounding that with not eating was making things worse. I am sorry for what you are going through. The only advice I can give you is try to do a more relaxing excercise like yoga and try to eat as healthy as you can (I know that is hard right now) but you will feel so much better!!!

Good luck!!!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm so sorry this is such a hard time. I have not been in your particular situation but I know friends who have had to eat through emotionally charged times . . . They have sworn by some of the protein shakes out there (Ensure, I think, is one???). As a temporary "fix" those protein shakes replenish caloreis and some nutrients.

Good luck to you. I think it is a really good sign that you are aware that your current eating/exercising equation is not in your body's best interest.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Happened to me 3 years ago when we went thru a very bad time in my marriage, I vomited daily couldn't eat sleep - the first 7 days all I could get down was water it was scary.

I dropped 30 pounds in a month very unhealthy - i was skin and bones - with saggy skin at that.

But anyway if you can't eat try at least to drink maybe an ensure at least to keep you healthy.

Good luck I'm sorry for the hard times
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Back in the day when I was super skinny (had an eating disorder anyway).....I went through a very bad bad break up with my now very EX-fiance...I couldn't eat even when I wanted to and my stomach was in knots for a good two weeks or so...
    I had really try and MAKE myself eat something, even when I had to choke it down. =o(
    It's so hard to eat when you just don't want it at allllllllllllllll....just keep trying.
  • 612gemini
    612gemini Posts: 37
    Options
    I went through a bad breakup a few years ago & had to do the roommate thing for awhile, horrible! I am so sorry you are going through it! What I found worked for me was doing more munching than eating meals and just try to keep your munching healthy. Keep up with the exercising though, that is a great stress release...Good luck, be the strong woman that I am sure you are!
    :wink:
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is one thing to think a relationship is over, it is quite another to know that it is over. Your brain is connected to your heart and so is your appetite. As your heart returns and you find the lioness within you, everything else will level out. I have seen many (dozens) of people through major losses. Every one of them is unique because they are unique. This is truly an opportunity to make some positive changes in your life and be the woman you were meant to be. We are all pulling for you in so many ways, you go girl! I predict that you will not only survive but thrive because of all this change. My advice, which is worth what you are paying for it, is to focus on your heart and what it needs, everything else will follow.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way when I am very upset. The occasional bad day or fight or something won't do it, but like a bad break up or a death or something.....I am not hungry at all. I remember when I went through a bad break up like 7 years ago I didn't want anything to eat. After a week or two I finally tried eating at least a little something for each meal but I would eat an apple and I would feel stuffed, as though I had just eaten a huge meal.

The only thing that really got me through it was time. I got my appetite back after a couple weeks, and gradually was able to eat more and more until I was back at eating a normal amount. Though the way you are using exercise to relieve stress and be out of the house could be dangerous along with not eating, so I highly recommend the nutritional supplement shakes like ensure as a few others suggested.

Also, I am very sorry about your relationship and I hope things get better for you very fast!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the awesome support and encouragement. I'll try the protein/nutrition shakes. I know my body has probably already went in "starvation mode" because I've only lost about 2 pounds. I'm trying to eat more, especially in the morning. I usually have a big healthy breakfast and I can barely stuff down an apple LOL. Once again, thanks! You guys are awesome!