Video Games... Game Over?

Options
So, I joined MFP back in September and quite successfully lost A LOT of weight.

My eating habits changed... my exercise habits changed... I changed.

Earlier in the year I went through a breakup from my Fiance and with that depression set in. Shortly there after I injured my shoulder while exercising.

I changed again...

This time it wasn't in a good way. I couldn't eat (and successfully keep it down). I couldn't motivate myself to get off my butt and exercise. I couldn't focus in school. My depression was even audibly coming across during my radio show (I'm a DJ).

One of my friends convinced me to start playing a video game (to have a little fun and get my mind of things).

I am enjoying this game, but it's not something that gets me up and moving like the Wii or the Kinect... instead it's a game that requires countless hours of sitting in one place doing thing useful.

I felt as though as soon as the good weather came I'd put the game on hold and get outside. Where is it? Do you have my good weather? It's been freezing cold and depression for 2 months straight here.

Nevertheless, have any of you dealt with video game addiction? Or, had to deal with setting aside something entertaining for the sake of your health?

Love to hear about it and from you.

Please add me as a friend.

-Rain
Kraggen 85DK Frostwolf hahaha

Replies

• loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    would that game happen to be World of Warcraft? if so, welcome aboard friend!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    If it's Dragon Age 2 then I don't see the problem.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have set on my but for the last three years and played WoW instead of going out and enjoying life. I totally understand the whole video game addiction. I do believe mine is over because I have changed and now I only play in my spare time which is usually at night before I go to bed.
  • Lili8282
    Lili8282 Posts: 3
    Options
    I totally became addicted to COD, even at work all I wanted to do was play all the while dealing with depression but it help that time pass that is always hard to get through and you will too. Luckily defeating the whole game got me off that addiction. Now I'm more addicted to this site and trying to be healthy and helping others be healthy too.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I kinda had that problem. I moved across the country back to my hometown. Since I moved here I went from lean and cut to overweight and lazy. Mainly because all these is to do here is play games! That all changed once I ordered P90X. I haven't touched my console (other to workout of course) in like 3 weeks.
  • ukq727
    ukq727 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have not had to deal with a video addiction but heartache is something I can understand all too well. I will tell you what, start out slow put that game down tomorrow for 30 minutes and instead of playing the game do two sets of jumping jacks and 2 sets of 15 sit ups, then run in place for 5 minutes do this everything this week and tell me how you feel. I am only asking you to dedicate 30 minutes this week per day. We are all in this together and we are here for one another. Smile because today you mad a FRIEND...me! :-)
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Yep. WoW has sucked me in. I love the game! Herein lies the problem :p
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Get a exercise ball (stability ball) and use it when you're on the computer. I know from experience that it makes City of Heroes more exciting... I tend to lean/move with my characters. :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • Ninjitsu
    Options
    I'm a p90x Grad and even have the p90x plus series.

I'm still very active (When I DJ in the club I usually get down and dance and have a good time).

I feel most of the issue is the bad weather keeping me indoors.
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wait,, no MASS EFFECT...

You play video games to escape.. Hell I do it tou. It used to be really bad. But hell my friend told me. You cant level up in life when you play video games. I was fed up mining for days and days to spend all the money on buying Mana which lasted for one day.

:(

I still play video games. MMO's once in a while. But I realize I get more out of life..doing stuff that rewards are actually worth it.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    please don't laugh but i was completely addicted to FARMVILLE for almost a year! i'd get up early, stay up late, log on the second i got home from work -- all to plant and harvest, plant and harvest and try to beat my sister and friends. i quit cold turkey the day i hit, what used to be, the highest level - deleted my farm, hid all FV posts from my FaceBook feed, unliked Farmville Freak, etc... It was the biggest relief EVER. I hadn't realized that I'd become a prisoner on my own farm. Quitting was like my very own prison break.
  • phnx72
    phnx72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If it's Dragon Age 2 then I don't see the problem.

AGREED!
  • indigochilds
    indigochilds Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep. WoW has sucked me in. I love the game! Herein lies the problem :p

DUDE YOU KNOW CRACK IS WHACK :3
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    " You cant level up in life when you play video games. "

I like that!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I play video games with my 10 year old. I know Mario games are incomparable to WoW, but addicting nonetheless. We now have a rule that we only play for an hour at a time. Or we play some wii sports to get our bodies moving. There is a time for everything.
  • baisleac
    Options
    " You cant level up in life when you play video games. "

I beg to differ... I met my husband because of City of Heroes! :happy:

All things in moderation... including gaming.
  • Ninjitsu
    Options
    You cant level up in life when you play video games.

A quote to live by!!!
  • Ninjitsu
    Options
    @baisleac That's awesome! Was he wearing tights when ya met him? ;)

Congrats! Maybe I can meet a nice Night Elf girl
  • baisleac
    Options
    @baisleac That's awesome! Was he wearing tights when ya met him? ;)

Congrats! Maybe I can meet a nice Night Elf girl

Heh... naah, he's more into Tech based power armor suits. LOL.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Heartbreak and kidding aside, you can still find time to play videogames and enjoy a healthy lifestyle. Once you realize it's a problem you can make the necessary adjustments e.g., hit the gym for an hour before you sit down and start exping for the night, or have healthy snacks and bottled water available during raids. Stuff like that. Do pushups and jumping jacks during downtime.

And that's only IF you want to KEEP playing. Who knows? If you start going out and and hitting the gym hard enough you might find that a more satisfying hobby.
    Wait,, no MASS EFFECT...

Oh lawd, when Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim hit...