BBC Show--"I'm a Boy Anorexic"

Options
Did anyone else watch the BBC Show tonight "I'm a Boy Anorexic"?

Those kids just about broke my heart! The one boy said he had been eating 200 calories a day! :frown:
One of the kids was just 11.

It was really so sad and reminded me that there are many different issues surrounding food that people deal with other than overeating--and all are or can be very serious.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else watch the BBC Show tonight "I'm a Boy Anorexic"?

Those kids just about broke my heart! The one boy said he had been eating 200 calories a day! :frown:
    One of the kids was just 11.

It was really so sad and reminded me that there are many different issues surrounding food that people deal with other than overeating--and all are or can be very serious.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen it, but I'm sure it was hard to watch =o(
    It's so sad to see people struggle in either direction...=o/
    I have been on both sides...no fun.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    omg how sad, no I haven't seen it but just reading what you wrote made me tear up....ugh poor kiddo!:brokenheart:
  • shorerider
    Options
    The one boy, who was 15, weight 56 pounds before his family was finally able to get him help. They said they tried everything and nothing worked. But there's this residential treatment center where anorexic kids go and stay there until they are "physically healthy." They MAKE them eat to earn activities and weigh them every day and teach them new healthy habits. And, they have to meet and maintain a certain weight level before allowed to return home. Then, their parents weigh them all the time and are taught to monitor their calories. And, if the kids show a weight loss (or even maintain weight) again, they have to go right back to the residential treatment center. This goes on until they get back to a normal healthy weight for their age and size.

Oh, and their exercise is closely monitored because several of them would "over-exercise" themselves to force weight loss.

One boy even got mad about that. He was excited they got to exercise one day and he burnt up 200 calories but then they made them have a piece of cake and he was so angry that he had to eat those calories. But he was still only eating 1500 or so a day--they gradually raise their calorie level on them until they're eating a healthy amount to gain weight back.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It sounds sad, but interesting...is it a series or was it a one time deal?
  • shorerider
    Options
    It was one of those BBC specials--so just a one time then, although they do repeat them fairly often. I saw it on BBC America.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Check out the documentary called "Thin". It chronicles the struggles of women living in a eating disorder clinic. So sad. :frown:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    You're right it is sooo sad. These kids having to deal with issues that even adults have a hard time dealing with.